Old 09-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #1

Ready for the Road!

I've had my Work & Play for 2 months now. Just took it out for a few days for a shake down test in preparation for a 3-week 4,500 mile trip we have planned this fall. Everything went well--all systems are a go

During the last two months, gotta say I've put in a lot of time fixing small issues. Gonna have to live with the sloppy welds, but I did put in 15-20 hours fixing a lot of other small issues. Used a few tubes of silicone plugging open seams around various drip rails on the outside. Touched up the roof with Dicor. Closed open weld seams around the wheel wells with sealant (leaked when driving in the rain). Sealed exposed wire/gas line openings & wood flooring underneath. No one item was particularly urgent, but if not corrected could easily evolve into serious water intrusion issues down the road. Lastly, due to a lack of cooling had to move an incorrectly installed rear baffle on my refrigerator and install a cooling fan (see my previous post for details).

After I got the basics out of the way, I installed a winch (for loading heavy toys that have no power--lol!!) and a pure sine wave inverter underneath the kitchen sink (on the floor) in the very front. There's a 2x2 frame rail that runs down the center of the Work & Play--perfect thing to anchor the winch to. Placed the inverter next to the winch so I'd only have to run one pair of large gauge wires from the battery. Never gonna use the winch and inverter at the same time (still fused just in case). Welded a steel cage (out of heavy 3/4" square tubing) to go around my generator (for security). Mounted the cage and generator on top of the Work & Play's generator/battery tray. Mounted "sectioned" covers to the cage to protect the generator during use in inclimate weather (or while on the road). My Work & Play did not come with dinette seating. Had my dealer ship a dinette set to me from Forest River and mounted it myself.

As icing on the cake, I installed a Progressive Industries Electrical Management System (PI EMS). This device is the cat's meow IMO! Real time protection for just about every nasty electrical gremlin that may fly in from that nearby 30/50 amp electrical pedestal just outside your RV. Serious wiring or voltage problems can fry your entire RV electrical system in less than a second--to include your TV, appliances, converter, frig, a/c, wiring, etc. For approx. $250 it's effective, realtime, 24/7, insurance for low/high voltage (both surge and continous), improper line frequency, and incorrect wiring (open ground, reverse polarity, etc.). The PI EMS also displays realtime voltage, current drain, line freq., and errors on a digital, remote display. Knowing your realtime current drain is very useful information! FWIW, do not confuse the PI EMS with a standard surge protector--it is so much more! A surge protector only provides *momentary* high voltage protection from lightning strikes and nearby switching transients--does absolutely nothing for continuous low/high voltage situations (or wiring issues).

See everybody on the road!

Have fun, be safe!!

Old 09-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #2

Enjoy the journey! We just got back from a 30 day 4100 mile 'Rock Star Tour' with 'The Beast'. We hit 10 campgrounds during that time. Felt strange waking up not knowing where the hell you were..*s. I had some minor 'in the campground' repair issues such as reinstalling an extended gutter drip that fell off during a downpour and had to install 1" fender washers to reattach the lower side body sheet metal that wraps around down to the frame. The vibrations pulled the cheap self tapping screws with their tiny heads through the sheet metal. A trip to Lowe's and 5 bucks later solved that. I too installed the EMS 50 PI protector in the trailer at the beginning of the season. Interesting to read the different amounts of voltage in different campgrounds. Some were as high as 123V and low as 100V. It's great for peace of mind. Enjoy your trip and pack some basic tools and supplies....Silicone, duct tape, bail wire, and beer!

1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #3

Wow, 10 campgrounds in 30 days?! 4100 miles?! I assume you took your Harley, too? That's awesome! Our 4,500 mile trip includes a 2-3 week stay in the Florida Keys with our jetski tagging along inside our toy hauler. This is our first trip to the Keys with our new Work & Play. Can't wait!!
Old 09-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #4

WP Owner

How about some pictures of the generator and the winch?

Thanks
GeoFish
Old 09-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofish View Post
WP Owner

How about some pictures of the generator and the winch?

Thanks
GeoFish
Sure, no problem!

Welded this generator cage out of 11 gauge, 3/4" square steel, coated in Plasti-Dip. It's secured to the toy hauler's generator/battery tray with 2 large bolts and 2 large padlocks. The black "covers" can be configured for travel (all covers installed), fueling (remove top cover), or for generator use (remove both bottom, end covers). I've tested it in the rain and the covers work great in every configuration. As for security, sure, you can still steal it. The point is to keep honest people honest. It's the dishonest folks that kept me from purchasing a Honda generator--lol!! Oh, BTW, this Champion 75531i 3100/2800 watt inverter generator is barely noticeable inside when the a/c is running.

That's a 3000 lb. winch. It's bolted down to the 2x2 frame member that goes down the middle of the trailer. It pulls my 1100 lb. jetski and trailer up the ramp and inside effortlessly. Next to it is a 600 watt pure sine wave inverter. Surprisingly, this thing will power my small coffee maker and small vacuum cleaner. That was icing on the cake. I really only need the inverter to power my various electronic items (laptop, flatscreen, fan, etc.) when I'm on the road (rest/truck stops). If I stop for the night and I need the a/c, I crank up the generator. The winch and inverter are wired to the battery via 3-4 foot long, #6 gauge, cable.
Attached Images