Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2016, 11:06 PM   #1

Angry Refrigerator Problems on 21VFB???

I have used my RV 3 times since it's purchase in 2014, and all 3 times the Dometic DM2652 refrigerator has crapped out while towing down the road. The first time, it was 'fixed' by a dealer in Tyler, Tx at no charge, due to a 'recall' or 'fix it kit'. Second and third time, I had to call a mobile RV tech to repair at costs of $126 and $230 respectively. I noticed that the insulation on the ignitor for the gas pilot was almost totally burned off and purchased a new one at the cost of $50 plus (for a dang IGNITOR-totally ridiculous), and the cover has a 'burn' spot or 'hot spot' on the metal cover for the gas pilot. The diode for the 'fire protection system' was also bad and was replaced. I was under the impression that the fridge is supposed to work while towing the vehicle to keep your food cold. Is there a RECALL on this fridge, and if not, WHY NOT??? It seems to be a serious safety hazard if the flame for the pilot is hot enough to burn the METAL on the enclosure. Has anyone else experienced the problem? Is there a PERMANENT FIX for it?
twodogs56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:46 AM   #2
Site Team

Our last two RV's have had the DM2652 and we've never had a problem like you describe. We always tow with the fridge on.

Can you post pics of the affected areas?

Has the system pressure been tested to make sure it's not out of spec? It should be 11" H2O. It almost sounds like the pressure is too high causing the flame to be too large.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:14 PM   #3

Had the same problem. When battery goes dead on TH the refer burns up. Make sure your wire for recharging the TT battery enroute has power on your plug for trailer lights. Both Ford and Chevy do not hook these up from factory. You will need to install fuse that came with the truck or hookup wire at battery location

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator