Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2015, 03:53 PM   #1

Replacing vent fans

I am thinking of replacing the vent fans in my trailer to cool it off when stopping for breaks with no electricity and on arrival at the campground while the air conditioning gets started. I would prefer not pulling the vents off the roof and that's why I am not thinking fantastic fans and such.

Camping World has a Vortex replacement fan for about $50 that is supposed to move a lot more air. Is this a worthwhile improvement or will it not make a noticeable improvement?
Old 05-22-2015, 04:06 PM   #2
Cyber Phrenologist

I have just ordered that same fan kit.

When it gets here I'll post a review. CW has it and the page has a link to the install manual. Seems to be fairly strait forward. Doesn't move as much air as a fan-tastic but way more than those dinky, noisy little bitty fans.

And you can't beat the price. And I get to keep my paid for Maxx-aire covers and don't have to get on the roof.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:40 AM   #3

I put a Vortex fan in my batroom to replace the little noisey original fan. No problems on the install but the Vortex fan is not very quiet but it does push alot of air. I got the one speed Vortex I understand they offer a 3 speed If you go this route I would get the 3 speed.

I installed a Fantastic Fan in the Bedroom. It is a 3 speed much more quet you could actually sleep with it on... Plus they have rain sensor and remote options. If you go this route, more work to install be careful around the metal roof with anything sharp, don't pry with anything sharp. Use plastic putty knife....
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:12 AM   #4

Sure! Great little vent fans. I have 2 in my rig.. well 2 of the Vortex II jobs. It's 3 speed forward, and 2 speed (High/Medium) in reverse. They run a bit more.. I think I paid $75 each at the time, but they install the same.

They do run a bit loud, but it's a small sacrifice for not having to tear out and reinstall a whole new vent. Multi speed forward/reverse is a real plus. After being on the road it cools down the rig pretty quick flipping one on forward high and the other on reverse high.

The only con I would say is that when the fan is not running and you just have the vent open, airflow is more restrictive than a simple screen.

doing a comparison between the baby stock fan and the vortex.

Installation is pretty straight forward. The only thing that was kind of a pain was getting the crank connected, but no hardship.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:21 AM   #5
Cyber Phrenologist

Tonight on Mythbusters...

MYTHBUSTERS:

All RV roof vents come pre-wired for a fan the owner may choose to install later.

BUSTED!!

My Rockwood 5th wheel does not have a fan pre-wire. The roof structure is filled with Styrofoam (which is nice, but...) with this type of roof technology there are no pre-wires for anything.

So I had to tunnel through the Styrofoam about 24 inches to the nearest light fixture for power. The only thing I don't like is this fixture is the one controlled by the switch by the door. Maybe I'll find some advantage to that.

If the fuse can't handle the load I'll change over to LEDs.

So the wire is run. Can't seem to get the screw to back out of the crank handle. Hmm? Well, the fan isn't here yet anyway...

And for all the uninitiated,

The White wire is 12 vdc positive.
The Blue wire is 12 vdc negative.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:37 AM   #6
Site Team

I assume you removed the interior trim to look for wires?
My last Rockwood Ultralite also was not wired for fan but when I removed
the trim I found ceiling lite wires running right past.
My light was not on a wall switch.
I tapped in for the maxx-air fan and never blew a fuse in 5 years of use.
You'll probably be OK too.

I never turned on every ceiling light and the fan on hi to test but normal
use we were fine for years.....

Good luck!

I bored thru the styrofoam to add a ceiling light in the main cabin.
Messy but do-able!!
I actually ran a few inches from an existing lite to a pre-molded AC duct.
Ran a couple feet down the AC duct and jumped a couple inches back
to center for the extra lite.
If you have ducted roof AC those AC passages can come in handy for
wire ways during "home improvements".

Happy Trails!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:53 PM   #7
Cyber Phrenologist

I did remove the interior trim. Solid Styrofoam all around.

And I thought about sneaking down the air duct, there are two in parallel in this type trailer, but this light was the closest. As the ceiling is packed solid with Styrofoam except for the air ducts this seemed to be the best option. Even if I knew where the wires were running (in some sort of channel) there wasn't a way to get my hands in there to make the connections.

This arrangement will do. The bathroom is wired the same way, the wall switch controls the fan and light. We just leave that wall switch on all the time.

If the fuse can't handle it then I'll change some of the bulbs to LED.

Tags
fan, vent