Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2014, 10:30 AM   #1

Roof Maintenance

Recently purchased a W&P 2008 30BR.

Looking for the best way to clean and maintain the metal roof, the seams, and the seals around the openings. Have a vent to replace. Want to check the seams and seals while I'm up there and give it a good cleaning.

Has anyone coated the roof with a product like cool seal?
BBQGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:16 AM   #2

I haven't done it yet, but I will.
I have the stuff, just need to take the time to do it!
Cajun Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:57 PM   #3

I use a scotch brite type brush on my roof to remove some the aluminum oxidation and dirt. If I was to do the seems along the roof. I think I would use Eternabond tape over the top of the old sealant.
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:10 PM   #4

I was told that my 275 USLBS does not have a walk on roof.
You better step carefully and stay on the cross beams or better yet, use a ladder and keep off the roof.
Geofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:40 PM   #5

I have a 2008 34 FK that I purchased in Feb of 2013. The prior owner had not done anything with the sealant at the seams and tried to address leakage problems by putting eternabond tape over the leaking areas. Totally ineffective.
The factory applied sealant is minimum at best, applied in a sloppy manner over a surface that is not prepared properly.
My RV service tech lived in Elkhart IN for 25 years and worked for numerous manufacturers in the area. He doesn't recommend Cool seal on any aluminum roof. My experience with the stuff is it just gives algae a great place to live. This is how we tackled the problem:
Remove all existing sealant. A number of tools can be used, but nothing really sharp enough to puncture the aluminum. I walk on my roof, but try to stay on the roof bows which are 16" on center. After the sealant is off and areas are cleaned with paint thinner, he applied this product to all seams:

Tremco Commercial Sealants and Waterproofing

Tremco 638ssl is the product name

A W&P roof is different than most RV's, it is much more related to a heavy duty truck or trailer roof. The Tremco product above is specifically designed for the flat roofs of trucks and railcars. If it is tough enough for a railcar it is tough enough for me.
I did my roof in April of 2014. I have no more leak problems. The way the roof is designed it forms a giant pond up there after a rain. Climb up there and take a look, it will scare you to death. To further avoid problems I intentionally park the unit out of level front to back so the water drains off. Good luck
beyerjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:40 PM   #6

I have used Eternabond around roof vents and had no problem at all. Thought it worked quite well. It's all in the application. I suppose if your trying to fix an existing leak through factory sealent more care should be taken on preparation for best results..

My corner sealents still seem in pretty good shape. I think because I park my rig out of the weather it may hold up longer..
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:32 PM   #7

Knowing this is a dated thread, does anyone have any thoughts about getting the roof sprayed with LineX or a similar product?
sstuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:51 AM   #8

There is a place in Florida that prays RV roofs with Rhino lining !

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Cajun Style is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, roo, roof