Old 09-28-2013, 10:34 PM   #1

Rusty Underbody

I just bought a 2010 18LT a few days ago. I have no idea why the previous owner bought it because he hauled his bikes from hotel to hotel and never slept in the camper, needless to say the inside is immaculate. I crawled under it yesterday to look at hanging a sewer hose tube and the thing has rust all under it. I don't think the previous owner ever took it up north during winter so no salt has ever been driven through.

Anyone else seen this or know of a history of rusty frame issues??

tarfele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:32 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Well, it started life "up north", so it may have been built in winter and traveled through salt and snow before it ever got to a dealers lot....

Second option is that it could be that it has seen flood waters.

(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarfele View Post
I just bought a 2010 18LT a few days ago. I have no idea why the previous owner bought it because he hauled his bikes from hotel to hotel and never slept in the camper, needless to say the inside is immaculate. I crawled under it yesterday to look at hanging a sewer hose tube and the thing has rust all under it. I don't think the previous owner ever took it up north during winter so no salt has ever been driven through.

Anyone else seen this or know of a history of rusty frame issues??
Not sure what your definition of "rust all under it" is.

My new Work & Play has bare metal, unpainted, welds, etc. here and there. This will certainly rust eventually, even under the best of circumstances.

However, if the *entire* chassis is coated in rust, then you may have something to be concerned about.

Pics would be very helpful!
Old 09-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #4

I will get some pics some time this week. By "rust all under" I mean the gas lines, the axle, the brake drums etc.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarfele View Post
I will get some pics some time this week. By "rust all under" I mean the gas lines, the axle, the brake drums etc.

Steel is steel it does rust and aside from painting it every year there is not much you can do.

Just for grins and giggles how much rust is there under your tow rig?
Old 09-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #6

One thing I've found really works to prevent rust is axle grease. It's not very flattering appearance-wise, but it works, and works well.

I have a galvanized trailer that get submersed in saltwater all the time. Typically the nuts, bolts, lug nuts, and leaf springs, on these trailers rust like crazy after a year or so. I make a point of coating all of them in axle grease once a year. After 6 years of use I have zero rust on any bolt--they all look like new. Of course, you've gotta wipe off all the nasty, dirty, black grease to see how nice they look underneath the grease

I made a point of coating all the exposed metal and rusty welds underneath my toy hauler with axle grease. Since I don't soak my toy hauler in saltwater, my guess this one coat of grease will easily keep things rust-free for several years.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:38 AM   #7

I have been under my 30WR quite a bit and don't remember seeing any rust. That said I think the factory undercoating is too thin. I have been planing on getting under there with some good rubberizied undercoating for better protection.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:58 AM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
A great treatment----------------

The use of "OSPHO" rusty metal treatment chemical is great for stopping rust.

You can find it on www.ospho.com .

My fifth wheel was built in early January, pulled in the salty snow roads from the factory to RVWhosalers in Jan 2011. there was a lot of rust on my under carriage when I got to Florida, I spent 3-4 days treating the rust with OSPHO.The propane gas pipe is what is called "BLACK IRON" material with no coating. But a good treatment with ospho chemical will stop the rust.

There is a generic to OSPHO that LOWE's & Home Depot carry which is a lot cheaper but works just as good. Ask foe it in the paint department.

Good luck
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2017 66 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #9

Thanks folks, still have not been able to take any pics, been to wet.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #10

rust

There are many grades of steel and you can bet Forest River does not use the most expensive. I bought an 18EC in Sherman TX last June. When I arrived back home in Tucson AZ I crawled onder the trailer to address other problems and found numerous large rust spots. Not much you can do but spray with rustoleum and messy under coating. You need to keep oxygen away from the rust areas. You will have to repeat this process every couple of years.

The worst rust areas you will find are on some of the poor welds. After the welding of the frame factory makes no attempt to paint or coat the weld areas. Go fiqure??????

Jack