Old 05-14-2015, 07:36 PM   #1

Tongue weight

I just got my tongue weight scale today, so I decides to weigh my 30wr empty. The tongue weight empty was 1525. Dealer set me up with a equalizer hitch 12k 1200 bars. I thought wow I`m way over that . I`ll reweigh after I load my rzr which is around a 1000 pounds. Should I consider using my old hitch which is reese dual cams (the old style) with my 1500 bars Or just run the equalizer ?

Old 05-14-2015, 07:57 PM   #2

I think it will depend on the weight once loaded and ready to go, toys in the back will decrease the TW so you might be ok. Id load it with everything you normally take and re-weigh.

Nights Camped (2017- 16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:17 PM   #3

I agree , I think the rzr will take 3 to 400 off the tongue weight. Be a few weeks before I bring the rzr home form camp to load it. It will probably be real close.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:46 AM   #4

The tongue weight on my 30WR is 1350lbs loaded with on 900 lb bike in the back. Very little fresh water and nothing in the holding tanks.. I also have a tongue box with four deep cycle batteries and 50/30 amp extention cords.... So, I am thinking your should change quite a bit when you load the garage. You want to make sure that your trailer is level when weighing the tongue. When I was weighing mine it made a huge difference if it was too high or too low..

I had to upgrade the OEM hitch on my truck. It was only rated at 1000lbs TW. I upgraded to 1600TW with WDH...

I am thinking I would run the 1500 bars. I think when you are loaded you will come in somewhere between 1200/1400 lbs when loaded...

I use a standard 1400/14000 WDH with two friction anti sway bars

Tongue Box
Old 05-23-2015, 10:33 AM   #5

Heavy set up has to be better I would think. I battle getting enough tongue weight to keep my 30wr from swaying...and I have a F350 SRW. I always back my RZR in and keep my ice chests in the bedroom. I have the old set up without the friction bars. If I thought I was going to keep the trailer, I would invest in the most top of the line sway control I could get.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #6

JB have you measured your TW when loaded. I would be curious of how it compared to mine. I don't get any sway. As i mentioned above I run two Friction Anti Sway Bars and plus the Delta box with four deep cycle batteries on the tongue add weight as well. I am about 1350 in TW... Other than that I don't do anything special when loading the trailer. I usually only hauling one Full Dress harley near 900lbs... But I have hauled two Full Dress Harley's before..
Old 05-23-2015, 06:16 PM   #7

I haven't weighed it. I carry a Polaris RZR, full tank of water, and just the regular camping crap everyone carries. If you don't pay attention to tongues weight it is almost undrivable...and I have sway control on the Ford. I have had to stop and reload on the side of the road the first time I pulled with everything loaded. Seems the key is backing the RZR in. As long as I get the weight distributed, it is pretty stable. I only gave the one battery and the two propane bottles on the tongue. I have started to strap my two spares on the basket to try to get some more weight on the tongue.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbbooks View Post
I haven't weighed it. I carry a Polaris RZR, full tank of water, and just the regular camping crap everyone carries. If you don't pay attention to tongues weight it is almost undrivable...and I have sway control on the Ford. I have had to stop and reload on the side of the road the first time I pulled with everything loaded. Seems the key is backing the RZR in. As long as I get the weight distributed, it is pretty stable. I only gave the one battery and the two propane bottles on the tongue. I have started to strap my two spares on the basket to try to get some more weight on the tongue.
Once you get it weighed you will know where you stand. Lucky for me there is one of those comercial truck scales that the DOT guys sit in now and then about a mile from my house. I spent almost a hour in there when they were closed but the scale is still working. I weighed my truck empty then with trailer all my gear and bike fully loaded. When done I dropped the trailer tongue jack right on the scale and weighed it at the same height it was when attached to the truck (it makes a difference).

Checking the weght of a RZR your about 993 lbs 200 lbs more than my Harley... I assume your running a standard WDH with no anit sway? Harbor Freight sells the Friction Anti sway bars pretty cheap. I would get two. They are not really any different than what the big hitch companies sell.

I have a 3/4 ton ford (2wd). When I first started towing the 30WR I would get some porpusing. I added air bags and that settled that right down.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:03 PM   #9

Good info on the friction bars...thanks.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbbooks View Post
Good info on the friction bars...thanks.
And while your at it I would invest in one of these anti rattle clamps. The way the Anti Sway Friction Bars works is they push against the WDH. There is slop in the reciver hitch it will rattle or wear as the friction bars push left and right.. This will stop that.

Hitch tightener: no wobble, anti rattle stabilizer device for hitch accessories

Tags
weight