Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2018, 09:30 PM   #1

Towing Work and Play with Dually and no WD

Our new Ram 3500 Dually conventional class V hitch is rated at 20k with or without the use of a weight distribution hitch. We have towed our 30 WRS on a break in trip for the truck at 50 mph max for 300 total miles on a 22 k ball and tongue and it worked well. I was wondering if anyone else with a newer Dually with similar rated conventional hitch is towing likewise, and how has it worked for you towing at higher speeds.
Rockwood Roo (sold)
Live4boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:21 AM   #2

My truck isn't a dually, it doesn't require a wdh until 2000lbs on the ball and my trailer isn't the same (taller I think at 12.5 feet which can be problematic) but I did just pull 2800 miles with time spent in the plains with cross winds to mountains with turns at speed so I'll give you some thoughts and you can do what you want with them.

My trailer is very tongue heavy (I had near 1500 on the ball at about 9500lbs gross trailer)...I think being heavy on the tongue is very important. If traffic is light enough to allow speeds above 70 without having to weave in and out of traffic continuously I pulled about 72-73...the truck likes it there in first overdrive.

Anyway, my experience was great. Tractor trailers that passed gave a slight push with the steering induced pull back to come back in line but it was all one hand and none eventful with a single correction. Passing trucks at speed was the same. For some reason medium sized suv's passing me at a high rate speed caused a single push wave but again nothing that caused me any concern, just a surprise that I could feel them.

This trip was actually the big test for my setup and I brought tools to install whatever I needed wdh wise if I encountered even the slightest worry. I was relaxed enough with my setup that we went over 900 miles in one day. Needless to say I won't being adding a wdh.

Good luck.

Edit...corection on the miles.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:08 PM   #3

We finished a 1200 mile trip and I was very happy with how the truck pulled the camper without using a WDH.. I never really had any “white knuckle” moments this trip. It’s never fun being passed by big tractor trailers, but it towed better than I expected.
Rockwood Roo (sold)
Live4boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:30 PM   #4

Have a WnP 275ULSBS, which is also tongue heavy. Fully loaded I tow roughly 12,000. Was a breeze with my 2000 F350 diesel dually and no wdh. Now with my 2016 Duramax dually, it’s even easier. Probably would have used a wdh on a single 1 ton or 3/4. You are fine without.
rblack22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, work and play