Old 06-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #1

Truck stop camping

Just wondering if on long travel days when you just need some sleep and want to get back on the road, does anybody stop at truck stops? I have seen truck stops with what looks like over a hundred trucks but few if any campers at night. Any thoughts?

2011 Harley Road Glide Ultra
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #2

It's been a while...but my experience in truck stops has been... the faster you can get in and out of them, the better off you'll be.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #3

Pilot/Flying J usually have a separate area for campers. It is usually near the front on the restaurant side of the stores in most I have seen. I think most would feel safe parking there. In my opinion it is safer than a rest area or other truck stops that do not make provisions for RV's.

Just remember, stay in as much light as you can for safety and watch your surroundings. If you do not feel safe move to another area or move on down the road if you are not exhausted. Trust your gut when it comes to safety. If you have to pull into a rest area most now have overnight security so position yourself near where they park, without blocking their view of the rest of the stop so they don't have to move. I have even seen people introduce themselves to the security officer and let them know that they are sleeping for a few hours, it provides a better feeling for some.

If you have never spent the night next to an idling semi with the reefer kicking on and off you probably wont get much rest in an ordinary truck stop anyway.

I travel alone 99% of the time and sleep in my trailer each night. A little planning goes along way. Myself I prefer it a little darker as my laser sight shows up better,,, I would not spend a night in most truck stops, rest areas without my trusty sidekick loaded and waiting, but that is me.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:15 PM   #4

Flying j's are usually the best for RV's as stated above. They offer parking away from the big rigs. Also a lot of the Loves truck stops are pretty nice as well.As far as I am concerned truck stops are a lot safer than most rest areas. I used to drive truck, and I don't recall a whole lot of issues at truck stops. Yes there are some add people at truck stops at times, however, there are so many people in and out and eyes around I think it deters a lot of issues.

http://rvpdi.com
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
Denver, CO

walmart's rock. Many have an "ask to park" policy that allows overnight parking in designated area's This time of year near major roads there are always others staying and it is quieter. I counted 6 campers at my last stay in Colby, KS. I have an IPHONE with ALLSTAYS Camp and RV App on it, which identifies all the participating WalMarts. Many other travel programs will do the same.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:56 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

We have used the truck stops to rest overnight......I think the hardest part is finding a spot to park....they can fill up quickly in the evening! The big rigs run all night though.....even with our genny running, you could still hear them. Other than that, it was fine! Especially when you are not finding any other place to rest!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #7

All of the above is good info, but remember you do not want to take a space from a trucker looking to stop for the night. They usually don't have a choice or someplace else to park. RV only sections are a good choice.
MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:09 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOD Guy View Post
All of the above is good info, but remember you do not want to take a space from a trucker looking to stop for the night. They usually don't have a choice or someplace else to park. RV only sections are a good choice.
For sure!

RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote