Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2015, 05:18 PM   #1

Understanding GVW and Payload

My new F150 has a 7,000 pound GVW. My door sticker says I have a 1,653 max weight of cargo and passengers. My registration says the net weight of vehicle is 4,696 pounds.

If GWW is 7,000 and net weight of truck is 4,696 (unless the net weight removes all options) shouldn't payload be around 2,300 pounds? I realize they add a driver and fuel, but still. If I go to the scales and weigh my truck with me in the driver seat and a full tank of fuel and subtract that from 7,000, will that give me my payload?

To further muddy it up, I read on the Ford forum of people with the identical truck, option for option and have different payload numbers.

Please tell me what I am missing here.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2015, 08:22 PM   #2

The only way to know for sure is as you already suggested. Weigh your truck with you and a full tank of fuel (leave all your tools, coolers, and other heavy stuff at home). While you're at it, why not weigh the trailer too? I assume you have a weight distributing hitch, you'll need three weights: 1) truck alone, 2) truck and trailer with spring bars attached, 3) truck and trailer with spring bars not attached. Make sure your truck is on th e first 2 platforms for every weigh with the trailer on the 3rd.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:36 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdavey View Post
The only way to know for sure is as you already suggested. Weigh your truck with you and a full tank of fuel (leave all your tools, coolers, and other heavy stuff at home). While you're at it, why not weigh the trailer too? I assume you have a weight distributing hitch, you'll need three weights: 1) truck alone, 2) truck and trailer with spring bars attached, 3) truck and trailer with spring bars not attached. Make sure your truck is on th e first 2 platforms for every weigh with the trailer on the 3rd.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:53 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to B and B
The payload can change for several reasons.

Options,

King Ranch I owned had 1600 lbs payload with 7650 GVWR pkg was 11,200 tow capacity max tow but not max payload. Had towing mirrors, brake controller and hitch
The 2009 with 5.4 l and no tow package was 8,000 lbs tow capacity with 1400 lbs Had tranny cooler and hitch but no factory brake controller
I had a loaner 2013 Limited while my F 250 was being undercoated. Payload on this truck was 1100 lbs. No tow package but a hitch and brake controller added after market.

I just bought a F 250 with a Truck Camper package, has lots of tow capacity.

You need to go through every option and how the truck is equipped for towing. VIN decoder on the ford website will tell you your options.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 12:20 PM   #5
MrT

In my case, the numbers aligned quite well. The door jamb sticker said 3339# max payload, and 11500# GVW. On delivery, I went directly to a truck stop, topped off the fuel tank and then rolled onto the Cat scale. 8000# on the nose without me in the truck. So that's a difference of 3500#. Close enough for jazz, as they say.

2017 Cedar Creek 38CK Hathaway Edition
2015 Ford F-350 6.7 CC 4x4
B&W RVK3300
Full-timing since 5/2/2016. Roam Sweet Home.
FROG Int'l Rallies: 2012-2017
MrT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 01:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
The payload can change for several reasons.

Options,

King Ranch I owned had 1600 lbs payload with 7650 GVWR pkg was 11,200 tow capacity max tow but not max payload. Had towing mirrors, brake controller and hitch
The 2009 with 5.4 l and no tow package was 8,000 lbs tow capacity with 1400 lbs Had tranny cooler and hitch but no factory brake controller
I had a loaner 2013 Limited while my F 250 was being undercoated. Payload on this truck was 1100 lbs. No tow package but a hitch and brake controller added after market.

I just bought a F 250 with a Truck Camper package, has lots of tow capacity.

You need to go through every option and how the truck is equipped for towing. VIN decoder on the ford website will tell you your options.
My dealer said my truck was too light to pull my 5th wheel. I told him the Dodge dealer said it was good! I had him look it up again and realized he didn't account the inch rims and tires. Boy did the numbers change! My truck was well qualified to pull my 5er, and had room to spare.

It is so easy to miss something when you are looking up your tv on the internet. That is why those stickers are on the doors.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:53 AM   #7
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Be warned! Sales people will tell you anything!

We had the FR division of Work and Play tell us our 2014 25ULA had a 1200 tongue weight. We got it weighed! 1800 lbs!! Not even close!!

We have a 2012 Ford 250 with tow package and we are over weight!! BEFORE we load the toys!! Now what do we do? The truck is new to us and we can afford a new toy hauler.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
Be warned! Sales people will tell you anything!

We had the FR division of Work and Play tell us our 2014 25ULA had a 1200 tongue weight. We got it weighed! 1800 lbs!! Not even close!!

We have a 2012 Ford 250 with tow package and we are over weight!! BEFORE we load the toys!! Now what do we do? The truck is new to us and we can afford a new toy hauler.
When you add toys to the trailer you are lightening the tongue weight since much of that weight is behind the axle. My 800 pound motorcycle took about 200 pounds off the hitch. Also,
My weight distribution hitch moves a couple hundred pounds off truck.

Load up, use your WDH and head to the scales. You may be pleasantly surprised. Good luck.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:57 PM   #9
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Hi Mark... not really... our bikes is only 450 lbs.
We have to unload a bunch to stuff and live without it.
Also we do not always take the bike. Just us and the dogs.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:10 PM   #10

Campnqueen
How much weight does your trailer tongue add to your truck with your WDH hooked up. And what is your max weight on the truck? I would think you should be close.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
Hi Mark... not really... our bikes is only 450 lbs.
We have to unload a bunch to stuff and live without it.
Also we do not always take the bike. Just us and the dogs.
Move the heavy things into crates and load them into the back. Shifting where you load things can make a big difference.

Jim
Old 07-29-2015, 07:46 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

So, when asked about tongue weight, all a dealer can tell you is the "Out the Door of the Factory" tongue weight as it sits in his yard.

All the Factory can tell you is the information off the Brochure which are the "NO OPTIONS - NO LOAD" Tongue weight (as designed and not as built).

Anyone who gave you the impression other wise, did you no favors.

The best way to get an idea of YOUR actual tongue weight is to multiply the Yellow Sticker GVWR by 0.12 (12% is the optimum distribution for comfortable towing).

At weights LESS than GVWR, you will need to shift your things around to get your TW in the safe range of 10%-14% of total camper weight.

Picture a teeter-totter in your mind with your trailer's wheels as the fulcrum. The design of the camper effects this relationship A LOT. Rear kitchens, tank locations - full or empty tanks, toy weight (or no toy!), Where storage is located (toward the tongue adds TW, back of the tongue lessens it).

Toy haulers have notoriously high TWs (but still load within the safe range) without the toy in it because they need to be balanced WITH the toy in it.

MOST SALESMEN DON'T CARE ABOUT ANY OF THIS.
They only want your signature and their commission.

Hope this helps.
Herk
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:05 AM   #13

I saw a Dodge 1500 yesterday pulling a W&P 275ulsbs, which is what I have and tow with an F350drw. My only thought was holy crap this guy is in for a rude awakening and salesman strikes again.
rblack22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblack22 View Post
I saw a Dodge 1500 yesterday pulling a W&P 275ulsbs, which is what I have and tow with an F350drw. My only thought was holy crap this guy is in for a rude awakening and salesman strikes again.
Not necessarily true. I tow a 32 foot 5er with a Dodge 1500 crew cab. It is rated for 10,000 pounds. Why, because of the tow package it has plus 20 inch tires. Bought it used from a Ford dealer and he couldn't believe it! I made him look it up on two different web sites plus contact a Dodge dealer to verify this. The 20 inch rims made a big difference in the listing.

Jim
Old 08-07-2015, 04:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblack22 View Post
WOW :
  • GVWR 11577
  • Hitch Weight 1417 <----- 1668# is listed for 2015 crew cab
  • UVW 8022

2006 Honda Goldwing
2012 Toyota Tundra DC s(sold)
2015 Cherokee Grey wolf 19RR Limited
2017 F150 Super Crew 3.5eb 5.5
bluewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:14 PM   #16

I would believe the door sticker not registration numbers. Also consider each axle has a max load. I also agree to weigh it.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:03 AM   #17

I read these "Holy S" I cant tow with my vehicle threads all over the place.

I'm going to start by saying this, I believe in having too much truck for what i am towing, not too little.

As said before, You need to weigh each component as you intend to have it loaded while towing. only then can you tell if that vehicle is correct for your application. I know, if your buying new that presents a problem, as you may not be able to properly load, weigh, and tow during a test drive.

now, i too have towed some stupid loads. and by stupid i mean way way over the GVWR on the door sticker. my old 2001 F250-SD ECSB 7.3PSD had a towing capacity of 9700 lbs as stated by the manufacturer. These numbers are only valid as equipped by the manufacturer. it is based on tongue weight, trailer weight, braking and cooling capacities, and of coarse cargo load in the truck.
we regularly towed an 18k fifth weight with this truck. we went over the Rockies twice, all over the south and mid-west. ZERO issues. yup 2x stated towing capacity.

The catch is how you equip your TV, and your experience and ability.
The type of Hitch, braking capacity of the trailer, and many other factors play into what you can safely tow. Far greater capacities are possible on the same truck with a 5th wheel, that a rear receiver hitch. A weight distribution hitch also will help increase tow capacity by properly loading the steer axle of the truck on a highly tongue biased bumper pull trailer. Experience and ability play a huge part too. I have been scared to death riding in a truck that was way over kill for the trailer behind it, with an inexperienced driver. and also I've ridden with drivers in trucks that really were on the edge of capable, and felt completely comfortable, because the driver was not driving beyond the edge of safe travel given truck and trailer (think 10k Skytrack forklift on 30 foot gooseneck trailer, total trailed weight nearing 30,000, behind a SRW 2500 pick up)

I suggest if you don't understand the physics involved, and have access to a truck scale, or the ability to try out many different hitch set ups, or experience setting them up, go to a reputable trailer sales and repair facility. NOT an RV dealer, but a true utility/cargo trailer and hitch installer and servicer. These types of places want to be sure you are properly set up, and SAFE while traveling. Most dealerships don't care as long as you write a check, i said most. most do not care. there are a few independent RV dealers that have knowledgeable, honest and caring service guys who can really help, with both set up, and info on what you can safely tow with your vehicle. Ask your friends and neighbors, and other people you see in your area with non RV style trailers. Excavators, Building Contractors, anyone who tows a trailer as a daily activity, these great sources of information on how to properly set up a hitch and tow vehicle.

thanks for reading, happy camping, and safe towing.

Good Day.
1997 TJ-ish....
rjtimmer is offline   Reply With Quote