Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2015, 06:18 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Mark S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 237
Understanding GVW and Payload

My new F150 has a 7,000 pound GVW. My door sticker says I have a 1,653 max weight of cargo and passengers. My registration says the net weight of vehicle is 4,696 pounds.

If GWW is 7,000 and net weight of truck is 4,696 (unless the net weight removes all options) shouldn't payload be around 2,300 pounds? I realize they add a driver and fuel, but still. If I go to the scales and weigh my truck with me in the driver seat and a full tank of fuel and subtract that from 7,000, will that give me my payload?

To further muddy it up, I read on the Ford forum of people with the identical truck, option for option and have different payload numbers.

Please tell me what I am missing here.

Thanks
__________________

__________________
Mark and Joanne
2014 Fun Finder XT 276
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost 4X4 SCrew Max Tow
2011 Harley Road Glide Ultra
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:22 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
wbdavey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Oswego, NY
Posts: 287
The only way to know for sure is as you already suggested. Weigh your truck with you and a full tank of fuel (leave all your tools, coolers, and other heavy stuff at home). While you're at it, why not weigh the trailer too? I assume you have a weight distributing hitch, you'll need three weights: 1) truck alone, 2) truck and trailer with spring bars attached, 3) truck and trailer with spring bars not attached. Make sure your truck is on th e first 2 platforms for every weigh with the trailer on the 3rd.
__________________

__________________
2015 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 WS. Rear LR, large street side slide with small wardrobe slide in BR.
2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel Laramie Quad Cab.
wbdavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:36 PM   #3
Site Team
 
asquared's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 10,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdavey View Post
The only way to know for sure is as you already suggested. Weigh your truck with you and a full tank of fuel (leave all your tools, coolers, and other heavy stuff at home). While you're at it, why not weigh the trailer too? I assume you have a weight distributing hitch, you'll need three weights: 1) truck alone, 2) truck and trailer with spring bars attached, 3) truck and trailer with spring bars not attached. Make sure your truck is on th e first 2 platforms for every weigh with the trailer on the 3rd.
__________________
<a href=http://i62.tinypic.com/28rp645.jpg target=_blank>http://i62.tinypic.com/28rp645.jpg</a>
2014 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 3500 4wd Duramax/Allison
2014 Sabre 34REQS-6
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:53 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
B and B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmot Twp, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 8,604
The payload can change for several reasons.

Options,

King Ranch I owned had 1600 lbs payload with 7650 GVWR pkg was 11,200 tow capacity max tow but not max payload. Had towing mirrors, brake controller and hitch
The 2009 with 5.4 l and no tow package was 8,000 lbs tow capacity with 1400 lbs Had tranny cooler and hitch but no factory brake controller
I had a loaner 2013 Limited while my F 250 was being undercoated. Payload on this truck was 1100 lbs. No tow package but a hitch and brake controller added after market.

I just bought a F 250 with a Truck Camper package, has lots of tow capacity.

You need to go through every option and how the truck is equipped for towing. VIN decoder on the ford website will tell you your options.
__________________
B and B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 01:20 PM   #5
MrT
Senior Member
 
MrT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Where We Hook Up
Posts: 221
In my case, the numbers aligned quite well. The door jamb sticker said 3339# max payload, and 11500# GVW. On delivery, I went directly to a truck stop, topped off the fuel tank and then rolled onto the Cat scale. 8000# on the nose without me in the truck. So that's a difference of 3500#. Close enough for jazz, as they say.
__________________

2017 Cedar Creek 38CK Hathaway Edition
2015 Ford F-350 6.7 CC 4x4
B&W RVK3300
Full-timing since 5/2/2016. Roam Sweet Home.
FROG Int'l Rallies: 2012-2017
MrT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:10 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
The payload can change for several reasons.

Options,

King Ranch I owned had 1600 lbs payload with 7650 GVWR pkg was 11,200 tow capacity max tow but not max payload. Had towing mirrors, brake controller and hitch
The 2009 with 5.4 l and no tow package was 8,000 lbs tow capacity with 1400 lbs Had tranny cooler and hitch but no factory brake controller
I had a loaner 2013 Limited while my F 250 was being undercoated. Payload on this truck was 1100 lbs. No tow package but a hitch and brake controller added after market.

I just bought a F 250 with a Truck Camper package, has lots of tow capacity.

You need to go through every option and how the truck is equipped for towing. VIN decoder on the ford website will tell you your options.
My dealer said my truck was too light to pull my 5th wheel. I told him the Dodge dealer said it was good! I had him look it up again and realized he didn't account the inch rims and tires. Boy did the numbers change! My truck was well qualified to pull my 5er, and had room to spare.

It is so easy to miss something when you are looking up your tv on the internet. That is why those stickers are on the doors.

Jim
__________________
07 Dodge 1500 crew cab with 20" wheels, 08 Forest River Rockwood Signature Ultra-lite 8280SS
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
George Bernard Shaw
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:53 PM   #7
itch'n to road trip
 
campnqueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Georgia Mountains-Jasper GA.
Posts: 911
Be warned! Sales people will tell you anything!

We had the FR division of Work and Play tell us our 2014 25ULA had a 1200 tongue weight. We got it weighed! 1800 lbs!! Not even close!!

We have a 2012 Ford 250 with tow package and we are over weight!! BEFORE we load the toys!! Now what do we do? The truck is new to us and we can afford a new toy hauler.
__________________
2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4 "Mae West"
2014 Work & Play 25ULA "Ula"
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight & Valor
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:56 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Mark S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
Be warned! Sales people will tell you anything!

We had the FR division of Work and Play tell us our 2014 25ULA had a 1200 tongue weight. We got it weighed! 1800 lbs!! Not even close!!

We have a 2012 Ford 250 with tow package and we are over weight!! BEFORE we load the toys!! Now what do we do? The truck is new to us and we can afford a new toy hauler.
When you add toys to the trailer you are lightening the tongue weight since much of that weight is behind the axle. My 800 pound motorcycle took about 200 pounds off the hitch. Also,
My weight distribution hitch moves a couple hundred pounds off truck.

Load up, use your WDH and head to the scales. You may be pleasantly surprised. Good luck.
__________________
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:57 PM   #9
itch'n to road trip
 
campnqueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Georgia Mountains-Jasper GA.
Posts: 911
Hi Mark... not really... our bikes is only 450 lbs.
We have to unload a bunch to stuff and live without it.
Also we do not always take the bike. Just us and the dogs.
__________________
2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4 "Mae West"
2014 Work & Play 25ULA "Ula"
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight & Valor
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:10 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Mark S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 237
Campnqueen
How much weight does your trailer tongue add to your truck with your WDH hooked up. And what is your max weight on the truck? I would think you should be close.
__________________

__________________
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 AM.