Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012, 02:21 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
1l243's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 465
Upgrade TV Antenna

Has anyone upgraded their saucer type antenna with a crank up Batwing?
Winegard Sensar IV DTV/HDTV Antenna - Winegard RVW-395 - Over-the-Air Antennas - Camping World
__________________

__________________
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
If you already have a Sensar antenna you just need to add the "Wingman" to get the same effect.

RV-Wing Wingman HDTV Upgrade Add-on Sensar RV antenna on eBay!
__________________

__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
lindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Jamestown NY
Posts: 588
We got rid of our "Bat Wing" antenna for the "JACK" antenna by King Control. The Jack antenna was 100% better then the bat wing. Tried the Wingman upgrade to the bat wing and saw no noticable difference.
__________________

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
COMer
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Erie, PA during summer
Posts: 9
I would also recommend the Jack. We added a Wingman to our Batwing and it did make things much better for the upper channels, but it hit the fridge vent when it was down so we switched to the Jack since it is smaller and didn't hit anything. It does work better than the Wingman and Batwing. And it is less directional. Handy if you are in an area where channels are available from a variety of directions.
__________________
jbirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
1l243's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 465
Most of the Work and Play TH that I have seen have the Omnidirectional Amazon.com: Winegard RS1500 Omnidirectional TV/FM Antenna: Automotivelike I do. I am not impressed with it. Will look into the Jack antenna...
__________________
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
COMer
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Erie, PA during summer
Posts: 9
You can add the Jack to the crank up equipment that is left from the Bat Wing when you remove it. That means you can update for about $50.
__________________
jbirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
1l243's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 465
The Omnidirectional is not crank up it does not move. I was wondering if the roof structure of the Work and Play will support a crank up style TV antenna without any modification. The roof consist of thin outside sheet aluminum covering some very thin Luan. I would think the roof would have to be structured for a crank up type antenna?
__________________
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
ken0042's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
If you already have a Sensar antenna you just need to add the "Wingman" to get the same effect.

RV-Wing Wingman HDTV Upgrade Add-on Sensar RV antenna on eBay!
Being in Canada I have different pricing available to me. The Wingman upgrade costs around $70, and the entire Sensar IV head will cost me around $100. I know in the States the Wingman is closer to $30 and the Sensar IV is around $75; so I can see why it may make sense to do the upgrade.

So here is my question- if you were looking at $70 for the Wingman and $100 for the entire Sensar IV; which one would you choose? I keep looking at the Sensar IV and thinking with it being all integrated it might work a little better. Or am I wasting that last $30?

As for going with a Jack; I did the upgrade package and was not pleased with the end results. (My Results)
__________________
Wolf Pup T16P owner

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
bob213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post
Most of the Work and Play TH that I have seen have the Omnidirectional Amazon.com: Winegard RS1500 Omnidirectional TV/FM Antenna: Automotivelike I do. I am not impressed with it. Will look into the Jack antenna...
The Surveyors are coming with that same antenna. I believe the AC unit blocks most of the signals. The antenna is usaually worthless. I think the stationary Jack would be the easiest replacement, not sure about the Jack that rotates.
__________________
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Being in Canada I have different pricing available to me. The Wingman upgrade costs around $70, and the entire Sensar IV head will cost me around $100. I know in the States the Wingman is closer to $30 and the Sensar IV is around $75; so I can see why it may make sense to do the upgrade.

So here is my question- if you were looking at $70 for the Wingman and $100 for the entire Sensar IV; which one would you choose? I keep looking at the Sensar IV and thinking with it being all integrated it might work a little better. Or am I wasting that last $30?

As for going with a Jack; I did the upgrade package and was not pleased with the end results. (My Results)
In my opinion you would be wasting your 30 Canadian Dollars. The snap on Wingman just adds the non-powered elements that are the same as the Sensar 4's molded in ones.

Not sure why buying in canadian would be double. The exchange rate is pretty close to parity now.

$ 1 USD = $ 1.0213 CD
__________________

__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
antenna, led pad

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 PM.