Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #1

W&P 18EC winter camping

Would like to do some light winter camping but reluctant due to some exposed water lines and tank under the trailer. Anyone out there take their W&P 18EC winter camping. What was your experiance and what would you recommend.

All my motorhomes were insulated underneath including enclosed tanks and lines and were heated. Obviousley the 18EC is not. It has a heat strip in the AC and a propane furnace that should be adequate. Most trips would include the Southwest and Northern Mexico. This would include light freezing temps at night and moderate temps in the day.

Any thoughts?

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
Would like to do some light winter camping but reluctant due to some exposed water lines and tank under the trailer. Anyone out there take their W&P 18EC winter camping. What was your experiance and what would you recommend.

All my motorhomes were insulated underneath including enclosed tanks and lines and were heated. Obviousley the 18EC is not. It has a heat strip in the AC and a propane furnace that should be adequate. Most trips would include the Southwest and Northern Mexico. This would include light freezing temps at night and moderate temps in the day.

Any thoughts?

Jack
You can still go, just do not put your water in the tanks.
The heater should work well enough.

Will you have power?
Old 11-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #3

Here in Sunny Southern Arizona it is a gamble on winter time temp swings. I did have a line freeze and split on a popup I had but have been lucky most times. Late hunts in the high country of Az and trips to rocky point throughout the winter for me.
I now have a Micro Lite 25DS and drain the low point drains and blow out the lines. I try to get out several times over the winter so I guess I semi winterize mostly.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
You can still go, just do not put your water in the tanks.
The heater should work well enough.

Will you have power?
I do have power. Not sure I could wrap the pipes with heat strips or not and how many exposed pipes there are. will have to check. (trailer is in my hanger about fifty miles away)

I guess dry camping (no water, shower,or toilet use would be feasable)

Plenty room to store water inside for limited use.

Jack
Old 11-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #5

Could use a PIRIT water hose pricey but works well. I am currently using for winter
now in mountians of PA.
Cathie

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131103_094152.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	42234
cke0375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
I do have power. Not sure I could wrap the pipes with heat strips or not and how many exposed pipes there are. will have to check. (trailer is in my hanger about fifty miles away)

I guess dry camping (no water, shower,or toilet use would be feasable)

Plenty room to store water inside for limited use.

Jack

One possible, use RV antifreeze to flush the toilet.

Perhaps two gallons in the tank when starting and then a fair to good amount with each use.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
One possible, use RV antifreeze to flush the toilet.

Perhaps two gallons in the tank when starting and then a fair to good amount with each use.
That should work.

Thanks Jack
Old 11-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cke0375 View Post
Could use a PIRIT water hose pricey but works well. I am currently using for winter
now in mountians of PA.
Cathie

Attachment 42234
Thanks, that would work for the supply but more concerned with the water lines under the trailer. I thought maybe a heat strip for those.

Jack
Old 11-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #9

We were heading to visit kids in Las Vegas last March and didn't give weather much thought since we left from Florida. As we stopped in Amarillo, Texas, there was a sign saying do not hook up water hose as it will freeze. We had water in the tank and thought that would be ok. Woke up early morning and found toilet wouldn't flush as every thing in tanks were frozen. Never thought about that. Tanks thawed when we got to warmer weather and no damage to tanks or plumbing.

Between air conditioner heat, furnace and electric blanket we survived the cold. Not sure we want to do that again. Next time we will check the weather.

Tags
camping, winter