Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #1

W&P 25ULA Fridge

Just picked up my first W&P a couple weeks ago... I absolutely LOVE IT!! I have one question though... is there a trick to getting the fridge to work on propane? Went camping on the weekend to a place that didn't have hookups. When the camper was plugged into the generator, the fridge & freezer worked fine and were both cold....however, when the generator wasn't on - the fridge would get warm... I checked multiple times to make sure it was ON, that it was set to AUTO and that the "check" light wasn't on. The propane tanks were full and the stove worked fine, so I know the propane is flowing....
Any ideas??? This is also my first RV - so I'm a newbie and I'm learning all the RV'ing ins & outs
amarceau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #2

I also battle my fridge in my 25ula..... Here is what I do now (kind of a process) but I now manage to get it to fire pretty quick !
If at all possible do this the night before, or at least a few hours.
Turn on propane , then go inside to the stove.
Open the front burner wait about 3 seconds and try to light. After it lights, watch the flame until it burns smooth.(this is the air purging from the line)
Then light the other 2 burners, and wait about 2 minutes (keep a window or door open for some ventilation)
You can try the fridge now, but there is still air trapped between the fridge and the main line, it should light but it will take a few times trying on its own.
I found that if you wait overnight more air seems to seep out of the fridge and propane pushes its way closer.
I am no expert.....this is what I do, and I no longer battled the fridge. It has worked pretty consistently for me.........GOOD LUCK !!!
Foneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #3

Do you have a button, along with the other buttons above the fridge, that says "gas"? That button needs to be in the out position when using propane.
nailit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #4

If it helps I leave it on "auto" ....which is electric as primary, if you lose electric it goes to gas . Don't forget to turn it off when your done using the rig
Old 03-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailit View Post
Do you have a button, along with the other buttons above the fridge, that says "gas"? That button needs to be in the out position when using propane.
I do not have a button that say "GAS". I have an On/Off button and an Auto button. That's it.

I'll give the suggestion in the first post a try and see what happens...

I wonder if this is just a known issue with these 25ULA's....This amount of money and I wouldn't have expected to have these types of issues on my maiden voyage
Old 03-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #6

Amarceau,
Not to have you look for troubles..... But I have a question.
Do the knobs on your faucets, kitchen, bath, and shower turn the proper way?
Lefty loosie ....righty tighty ?????
I only ask because only my bath sink was correct . I had my dealer replace them for me. It wasn't a big deal, but turning the hot water "off" in the shower was pretty dangerous. That water gets HOT ...
Just curious to see if I got the lucky trailer ...mine is a 2011 w&p 25 ULA
Which we love !!!!!
Old 03-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foneguy View Post
Amarceau,
Not to have you look for troubles..... But I have a question.
Do the knobs on your faucets, kitchen, bath, and shower turn the proper way?
Lefty loosie ....righty tighty ?????
I only ask because only my bath sink was correct . I had my dealer replace them for me. It wasn't a big deal, but turning the hot water "off" in the shower was pretty dangerous. That water gets HOT ...
Just curious to see if I got the lucky trailer ...mine is a 2011 w&p 25 ULA
Which we love !!!!!
Yikes - that sounds like it would have been a difficult one to get used to. No - all our faucets turn the right way ... thank god... just the stupid fridge thing. Still gotta try suggestion from previous post to see if it'll work... but I'm still a little peeved that I have to go through any of these bells and whistles when I've had my unit for less than 2 weeks ...
Old 03-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarceau View Post
Yikes - that sounds like it would have been a difficult one to get used to. No - all our faucets turn the right way ... thank god... just the stupid fridge thing. Still gotta try suggestion from previous post to see if it'll work... but I'm still a little peeved that I have to go through any of these bells and whistles when I've had my unit for less than 2 weeks ...
I think you're doing quite well if this is your only issue.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:17 PM   #9

In time you will figure out what works for you , whatever combo of tricks it is.... I agree that if this is the only problem you are in great shape !!!
Let me know if my method works for you ......