Old 06-29-2015, 08:12 PM   #1

Wall question

My W&P 2008, 28' is sitting in the driveway. The way the sun is shining on the side I notice what appears to be a big wave in the wall near the front drivers side. Upon further investigation it is. I've seen small waves before, but this is much different. When I press on it it fills like the outside skin is delaminating. I go inside and the inside wall paneling is doing the same. Checking the door side it too looks like it's doing the same thing. This only affects about the front 8-10'. Checked the roof, no leaks, eternalbond is fine.
It's been above 90+į for over 2 weeks with little rain. Last outing was June 6-9. Did have the gray water tank over flow, but quickly got it cleaned up.
Anyone know of a cause, or have heard of this happening.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:41 AM   #2

You don't see any evidence of moisture on the inside? Was the gray water overflow in the area of the bulge?

You could test the inside wall with a moisture meter.. I picked one up at Home Depot...

Old 07-02-2015, 05:38 AM   #3

Sounds like you have a leak. If you can post a picture, maybe we can help you find the source. Get a shot of the area with the bulge and also the roof above it.
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:46 AM   #4

If you have a leak it must be fixed. There are plenty of videos on YouTube on how to fix the delamination. Good luck.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:30 PM   #5

I don'think the siding on a W&P is typical delamination. The siding is 1" FRP. Think of it as 1" plywood with a outer Gel Coat finish on it. I don't think it can be repaired only replaced..

I would like to see pics too..
Old 07-05-2015, 06:23 PM   #6

Have not found any leaks. Been on the roof, checked after a rain, could not find any water inside. I'll post some pictures after a needed weeks vacation.?
Old 07-05-2015, 06:26 PM   #7

You can close all your vents and turn your AC blower on max and spray soapy water around and see if you get any bubbles....
Old 07-05-2015, 06:28 PM   #8

Enough water that can do a lot of damage can leak inside the wall and not be all that obvious... like 1\234 said, get a moisture meter and check it out.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:51 PM   #9

I live full time in a 2008 34 FK. This trailer has no leaks. But the walls are rotted in several places. Remove the trim inside where the wall meets the ceiling. If you see black areas, you see the rot. It can happen around any opening. The inside paneling does an excellent job of hiding it.
The wall is constructed of 3/4" plywood with a layer of solid gel coat on the outside and a clear fibreglass layer on the inside. The water soaks the plywood, which acts like a sponge and rots with very little water intrusion.
This is the only RV in the industry constructed like this. FRP trailers were used widely in the trucking industry about 35 years ago, but when their achilles heel, propensity to rot was discovered, they all but disappeared.
Good luck.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:10 AM   #10

I doubt if he will be able to sleep after reading that lol!

You must have had leaks or you would not have had water intrusion? I don't think you can single out FRP as the sole cause for wood rot, there are plenty of RV's out there with major wood rot that arn't made of FRP.. If you got a undetected leak and it goes on for a while your going to get rot....

We all learn from other peoples misfortune. Check all your windows and openings and the roof for areas that may need attention. Park your rig under cover if you can during the winter....