Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #1

WNP 18LT Spare Tire

Has anyone mounted their spare to the front of the their Work And Play on the gelcoat? I have a tongue box and I dont want the spare inside the trailer so I'm thinking of mounting it on the front of the trailer itself on the gelcoat with a good sturdy mount. I'm wondering if it will crack the gel coat. There aint no outside storage on the trailer so I need my tongue box. What's the bolt pattern on the wheels on those trailers. Mine is 5 lug and and I'm thinking it's 5 on 4.5" Can anyone validate that? Thanks!

Also I have an immaculate 2007 28FB for sale in WA State. $20k. I made the bed an actual queen and rear garage has surround sound system. It's a nice trailer. I just needed a smaller unit.
wheeler34man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I have a 2008 WNP 18LT. As for the spare, I started to make a bracket to put it on the tongue, then I got a tongue box and gave up. I am now looking at mounting it under the tongue box, between the tongue rails, but that is far as it has gotten.

As for mounting it on the front, you would have to drill all the way through and have bolts somewhere on the inside. I did this to mount a television in the back corner. The walls are 3/4 inch plywood with a fiberglass laminate. I saw a picture somewhere where the spare was mounted inside, left rear as viewed from the rear, against the inside wall. Also without measuring, I'm pretty sure the lug pattern in 5 on 4.5. You should get by with only three to mount the spare. If outside, I would have one of them a locking lug with a special tool. Good Luck, and let me know what you do. My spare just rides in the back of the truck for now.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #3

Yes I was going to thru-bolt it. This is what I'm planning on using unless I make my own.
Pit Pal 292 Pit Pal Spare Tire Holder
Old 02-24-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

That is very expensive for what you get, or at least looks that way to me. Since you are going to bolt all the way through the wall, and there is a lot of stuff to miss on the front of the trailer inside, cabinets and such, why not put it pretty low on the tailgate? It should still clear the ground with the tailgate down. Might even make it easier to remove also.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #5

Nah I need to mount it high because I have a tongue box. It will end up being eyelevel at the sink. I have a picture there anyway because they put the stupid clock there.