Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2018, 01:43 PM   #1

Wood stove......

Due to unfortunate circumstances, I will be setting up my hauler semi permanant. Have full hook ups on my property, but what do you all think about a small wood stove ? Have the hauler (40RLS) and a small wood stove we used in a old camp cabin. Been full timing in it for 2 years now and this past winter was brutal on either electric or propane. Live on a 100 acre farm and have more fire wood than I can poke a stick at (no pun intended haha). I see all these bus coversions and the like with small wood stoves. So what do you think ?
JCMINIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:50 PM   #2

I know a guy who spent a winter in an old Airstream (we called it the Silver Twinkee!). He had a wood stove in it. It would get to 20 below some nights. He said he'd get into bed and let the fire die out and that Airstream would pop and crinkle for hours as it cooled down and shrunk in the cold!

Provided you keep enough room around it, you should be OK.

Someone on here asked about a wood stove about 2 years ago, but I wasn't able to find the thread.

UPDATE: I found the thread; it was last Fall.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ve-142817.html

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:57 PM   #3
Weekend Warrior

Wonder how hard it would be to set up an outdoor wood burning unit with a heat exchange somewhere in your camper's blower system? Seems like it would be a safer option.
KyleStout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleStout View Post
Wonder how hard it would be to set up an outdoor wood burning unit with a heat exchange somewhere in your camper's blower system? Seems like it would be a safer option.
They seem pretty expensive/complicated for a "temporary" set up, especially if he already has the wood stove.

But here are some places:

Outdoor Wood Furnace | Heatmaster SS

https://centralboiler.com/

Crown Royal Stoves | Outdoor Wood Furnaces

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleStout View Post
I've seen some systems shown at our local State Fair that consist of a wood burning stove that is surrounded on top, bottom, sides, and back, with a cinder block enclosure filled with sand. Only the chimney and doors stick out. Buried in the sand is a large coil of copper pipe that is filled with a coolant mix.

The idea is that you fill the firebox and burn the fire all day long and with a small pump you circulate the coolant through the copper tubing to transfer heat to radiators (hydronic baseboard type). Heat is stored for a long time in the huge amount of sand and the vendors claimed it could provide heat for more than 24 hours after the fire went out.

There might be plans for this kind of backwoods heating plant online or at least Youtube. They claimed that with the proper blowers on the firebox end you could burn several grades of oil, including used motor oil, any kind of wood, and even coal. Just adjust air feed so the smoke was minimized.

I remember some sailboat "Live Aboards" that used to swear by the Cole Stove. They burned "biscuits" they cut from Presto Logs. Stove was essentially a large piece of heavy gauge stove pipe with heat shielding Mounted on a bulkhead and took up about as much room as an old fashioned torpedo shaped vacuum cleaner.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:46 PM   #6

As mentioned above. Be very careful with clearances. We just went through this with a recent home remodel where we added a wood stove. Every stove has specific instructions regarding it's installed distance from walls,ceiling and floor. Same thing for the chimney. Like the stove dealer said, "A wood stove has never burnt down a house, it's always the fault of the installation."
chroniekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:53 PM   #7

https://www.google.ca/search?q=rv+wo...En4sjyB9bJhZgH
RV wood stoves are out there but man are they expensive and like an electric fireplace or heater don't keep the underbelly from freezing up.
Maybe an outdoor boiler system is not much more expensive, could be connected to the furnace and would keep the inside of the trailer nice and toasty throughout the night.
Whatever you decide to do I'm afraid that it would take many years until you see a ROI.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote