Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2018, 06:26 PM   #1

Work and play insulation values ?

Hello I am wondering if anyone has camped in there work and play when it is cold out? From what I have found online it seems like the work and play models have very minimal insulation in them?? Seems kinda odd as they are built better ? I would love to buy one but don’t need my furnace running non stop
Summit151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:35 PM   #2

I am not positive but I believe the work and plays are "better" in that they have higher payload ratings. No camper has great insulation. The walls are only so thick. Most rv companies claim unrealistic r values. I'm sure they have the same r value as any rv.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:03 PM   #3

Our 25 WB will stay pretty warm overnight down into the upper 20's with just a 1500 watt electric heater cycling with thermostat.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
Our 25 WB will stay pretty warm overnight down into the upper 20's with just a 1500 watt electric heater cycling with thermostat.

What year is it? Do they list the r value some where ? I can not find it online anywhere
Old 04-06-2018, 07:29 PM   #5

2016. Don't have the r values with me now, away from home where we have a brochure.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:34 PM   #6

There was an option on the FRP models that added a foil layer between the frp wall and the interior. Mine has this, but as said before the rating isn’t very high
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:18 PM   #7

Brochure does not specify the r value.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1523067509.877935.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	396.9 KB
ID:	167414
Old 04-07-2018, 07:32 AM   #8

Also, define cold. We have camped down to the high twenties. I wouldn’t risk anything lower as you risk water line freeze. They are in no way 4 season.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
Brochure does not specify the r value.Attachment 167414

Thanks for showing that. Probably not a good thing they don’t list it ?
Old 04-07-2018, 12:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post
Also, define cold. We have camped down to the high twenties. I wouldn’t risk anything lower as you risk water line freeze. They are in no way 4 season.

I don’t think I would camp in anything colder then the 20s. I have owned some campers in the past and some definitely hold heat in better then some. Some the furnace won’t shut off. I have also heard that the separate garage part doesn’t have any heat ducts??
Old 04-07-2018, 12:53 PM   #11

We have only camped in below freezing weather one night, (the day we bought it) and we were cold. The furnace just could not keep up. We have since put an electric heater in there to supplement just in case, but we live in Florida and don’t plan on camping in freezing weather.
Rockwood Roo (sold)
Live4boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit151 View Post
I don’t think I would camp in anything colder then the 20s. I have owned some campers in the past and some definitely hold heat in better then some. Some the furnace won’t shut off. I have also heard that the separate garage part doesn’t have any heat ducts??

Can it really handle down into 20's without things freezing? There is no insulation under these things where all the tanks are located. My tanks are exposed directly to cold air underneath them.
privateer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:50 PM   #13

I know several with THs. All but one says the living area stays warm ok but the garage is cold. I'm guessing because it is an empty space . The one states his kids say it is warm enough and he has been out into the mid-teens.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post
Can it really handle down into 20's without things freezing? There is no insulation under these things where all the tanks are located. My tanks are exposed directly to cold air underneath them.

Mid 20’s to low thirties probably just a soft freeze, not hard enough to split water lines. I’ve been out a couple nights cold enough to have a thick frost in the mornings, but we were boon docking so the heater is off all night to save battery. Lots of blankets. I don’t have a garage model, but the heater is at the front, with 2 vent blowing into the living area way up by the door and one into the bathroom. I get up about 5-6am and fire up the Gen and the heater and it takes a little while to warm up, but by breakfast it’s Warm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0703.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	167501

Name:	IMG_0702.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	167502
Pipestone MVUA, MT

Name:	IMG_0701.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	167503
My fathers truck one morning when we were camping in the Bighorn Mtns. His showed the frost and ice better than my white truck.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:57 PM   #15

Thanks for the input so far guys. So should I stay clear of the work and plays due to the lack of insulation and not a enclosed under belly? I would like to use it some times on colder trips in the fall and not burn a bunch of propane if the furnace will never shut off.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:11 PM   #16

I wonder if putting some sheets of that 4" thick pink foam insulation under the floor and covering the exposed tanks will help? Perhaps with a tank heater between the tank and the insulation will work. Have a few months to experiment with this setup AFTER winter breaks this year... if it breaks...
privateer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:25 PM   #17

If you are wanting to go in the colder months, get a 4 season. They aren’t a true 4 season if you live or plan on going to the north or mtns, but they will be better for cold weather use and be more comfortable in the heat. That’s when our WnP stuggles. 90+ and the AC runs non stop if you’re trying to be inside it comfortably. Luckily we are usually out wheeling.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post
If you are wanting to go in the colder months, get a 4 season. They aren’t a true 4 season if you live or plan on going to the north or mtns, but they will be better for cold weather use and be more comfortable in the heat. That’s when our WnP stuggles. 90+ and the AC runs non stop if you’re trying to be inside it comfortably. Luckily we are usually out wheeling.

I agree with getting a 4 season camper. But the only true 4 season toy hauler I can find is the desert fox. And they are pricey! But you get what you pay for I guess. I would only be using it the odd time in the fall for max 5 day trips
Old 04-08-2018, 09:49 PM   #19

I just spent 5 months in Wickenburg, AZ - many nights were <32, high 20's. Some folks in the park had their water lines freeze up but as soon as
the sun was out, they were ok. My W&P has tank heaters that are thermostatically controlled and seem to work well. I've also heard of people building an insulation tent to put over the faucet - or disconnect at night and hook up when it warms up in the morning.

Sure wouldn't want to be where you have hard freezes and it doesn't get above 32 for days...been there done that in a house and sure don't want to
try it out in a travel trailer.

My W&P does have a heat vent in the garage that puts out a decent amount of warm air, but it's certainly not enough to HEAT the room. I carry 2 small electric heaters - one for the bathroom and one for the garage.
OldGal3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insulation, work and play