Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #1

Question work and play trailers ?

Let's get some talk going on the work and play trailers. Come on, who has one? What do you like about your trailer? What do you not like about your trailer? How do you use your trailer? What model do you have? Come on, Let's talk.
Don Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Don,

See you are fairly new, and welcome to the Forums. As for the Work and Play, least visited, and I hope that means fewest problems. We have a 18LT, have some pics posted, look around, get familiar with the site, and enjoy. Learn from others, and help when you can.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #3

Don,

We will talk to you!!! We have just ordered a Work & Play 27 Ultra Lite PS. We have done all and any research online and visited the only dealer out west here who had a 19foot. I wont buy from the dealer close to me because the number game came up, i hate that. So we ordered through a dealer in GA. We are very excited and feel the trailer was ment for hauling toys and then the living quarters were added and seem to be as nice as any out there. We will haul a new RZR XP and plan to go to Moab for rock crawling, Delta for sand dunes and every place in between. The Work and Play brand has not penetrated the west coast like it has the east coast. I have heard nothing but good and can hardly wait to get it.

Thanks.
Allen & Elizabeth...
cuboatn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #4

Hi Don!
We just joined the forum but have had our WP 25ULA since Jan. 2010. We love it! We haul our Rhino SxS and also throw our kayaks in the back. The only thing I have to say is the one we have is NOT 1/2 ton towable like they say. After we bought it and towed it from Jacksonville to Homestead, FL we bought a 2500HD diesel! It was a slow ride down 95 towing that beast! LOL Now we don't feel it back there! It is very roomy and we LOVE the bathroom. Of course for 2012 they ducted the A/C. Oh well...we are installing a Maxxfan Deluxe in the bedroom to help move some air up there. No biggy. Have no major complaints. With any RV/Trailer, there will ALWAYS be a little something that goes buggy.....Ya just fix it and get over it and have fun!
2008 Hobie Mirage Kayaks
2007 Yamaha Rhino 660 Camo
2005 Pathfinder 2000V w/Yamaha 150 Vmax
CutlerBayCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #5

Hi Chris & Suzie,
Ok we have a 2011 F-150 Lariat Limited with the max tow package and the 6.2 gasser. On paper we are well with in the limits to pull the work and play 27ULPS. Can I ask which 1/2 ton you had?

Thanks
Allen
Old 01-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #6

Hi Allen,

We had a 2006 Chevy Silverado Ext. 1500 w/5.2 engine. At the time, the dealer assured us that it would be fine. Yes the numbers were there but it was really, really close for our truck. It seems now the newer 1500's have more towing capacity then ours did. But at the time, there were few 1/2 tons that would have exceeded the requirements of our trailer. In any event, I think you will be fine. Just double check the numbers and don't just depend on the dry weight. Anything can be towed, it's just how comfy will it be....

Good luck and enjoy your new Work and Play as much as we do!
2008 Hobie Mirage Kayaks
2007 Yamaha Rhino 660 Camo
2005 Pathfinder 2000V w/Yamaha 150 Vmax
CutlerBayCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #7

Way to go people. Now we are getting the talk going on the work and play trailers. Lets keep it up. Thanks for the replys.
Don Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #8

Hello all,
Been lurkin for a while, I also have had my 2011 ULA 25 for a year.
(this week actually). I started to pull it with a 2005 Nissan Titan w/ tow package......I now have a 2008 Dodge 2500 with the 6.7 CTD.
The difference to say the least is night and day.
On paper the Titan was good to go, on Pavement however not so much. It was a little slow getting up to speed, that I could deal with. It had no trouble keeping it at speed. The real problem was Stopping. The trailer would push that truck around pretty bad, and it was always a white knuckle trip. All this was on pretty flat Florida roads. Technically they might be 1/2 to towable, but NOT safely or comfortably. My upgrade to a 3/4 diesel changed everything.
just my opinion and my 2 cents ......hope this info helps .
Foneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #9

I have a 2011 Work and Play 30WR. We haul a Harley. I like how heavy duty the trailer is made, 50 amp service, 80 gallon fresh water capacity. The finish is standard I have seen higher quailtiy cabinets but those trailers could cost alot more too. I would like a sealed insulated underbelly, walk on roof and wired for satellite. I would also like a heater vent in the bathroom. I have wired it for satellite and added a third TV in the garage. I added a large Delta aluminum box on the front generator rack. The box is tapred to match the shape of the tongue and fits perfectly. I put 4 deep cycle batteries in it. I am in the process of converting half of the interior lights to Led's. Fully loaded without water I am about 12,500lbs.
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:39 PM   #10

What happend to our conversation?
Old 03-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #11

Okay guys and gals we finally got our new W&P 27ULPS. The delivery company had to fight bad snow and wind across I-80 coming out west her to Utah but they all got here safe. I think in the end we may be the 2nd or 3rd W&P pulling around this area? The trailer is beautiful, love love love the separate garage. I too wish the under belly was insulated and I as well have seen better quality in a variety of toy haulers. But in the end the price put a smile on my face. We were concerned about our new 2011 F150 6.2 pulling this trailer and maybe (like it was said above) it looks good on paper, ultimately we went out and got the F350 6.8 diesel. Wow the truck is amazing and pulls the 27 foot with ease (no white knuckle driving for us). I will pull it across a scale next week on our way to the sand dunes in Kanab Utah fully loaded to get an idea of exactly what all the weights are front to rear. The garage is completely taken up with a Polaris XP 900, I can put 35 gal of fuel in on board fuel station and 80 gal of fresh water. I am thinking the trailer will be pushing 9,500 lbs. Here is a picture to enjoy.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #12

Here is the XP in the garage.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #13

Nice rig !!! Congratulations , enjoy it
Foneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #14

Yes nice rig and nice truck too! I had to look up that model and it has the separte garage with sliding glass door? I also like the new floor covering.

I found that Delta makes a great aluminum Diamond plate box that fits perfect on the generator tongue rack and it's angled like the tongue. I put four deep cycle batteries in it plus a shelf to hold hoses and electrical cord.

I have done a bunch of little mods on mine, I am sure you will as well. I will throw in a few pics of mine

Old 03-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #15

WOW Love the diamond plate box, I will have to get one and very sweet set up Truck and Trailer. Like the bike too. Yes we have already gone through and made some upgrades and small changes. The sliding glass door is nice, helps let more light in with the floor being darker. Thanks for the pictures love them.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:03 AM   #16

Well, how was the first trip?
Old 03-25-2012, 07:32 AM   #17

New to RV's

Hello all!

Just picked up my first RV ever- Forest River WP 18 EC and looking forward to taking it out on a trial run. Any suggestions me being my first time ? Lessons learned etc? Thanks!
madelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #18

Well congrats! I would make a check list on everything you think you might need. I think I would camp in the front yard first. If it's your first RV ever make sure you have the essentials for connecting to shore power and water. 30/50amp power cord, Fresh water hose, water tank filler hose. Fill up your holding tanks with fresh water and then do a practic dump. It's better to practice with nice clean water if you know what I mean?....

Fire up your furnace, hot water heater and AC to make sure they are good to go.

You can google for a RV check list there are a bunch of them out there..

Just a few
Initial inventory checklist before your first trip
A checklist of common RV essentials
RV supplies checklist
Essential checklist for outfitting your rig

Old 03-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #19

Okay, my report from the first outing...
Fist the trailer pulled awesome. I loaded it completely full, fresh water, gasoline, gear, toy and all the misc BBQ, food, clothing and stuff. :-) On the way out I pulled across a scale which I would recommend everyone to do, it gives you some great information. My scale reading was: Steer Axle=5060 lb, Drive Axle=4260 lb, Trailer Axle=9300 lb, Gross Weight 18620 lb... Wow I had no idea I was moving this much weight. Kind of gives you a new perspective on the responsibility you have while out on the road. Any way the trailer can max out at 10,000 and the truck maxes out at 22,500. As we got set up and ready to stay the 3 nights and 4 days in a dry camp all went well, the expected high was 70° and the low was 28°. Propane was full and battery charged. First night thermostat set to 60° everyone tucked in and sleeping. At 3am I was woken up by the refrigeration unit and radio face blinking on and off because there was very low input from the 12 volt battery, needless to say the furriness fan was not blowing because it also works on 12 volts ( it was reading 42°) Brrrrr. So the battery was completely drained... I had an emergency jumper battery that I was able to hook to the outside battery and get the temp back up. We had a generator so when quite hour was over I turned it on for most the day to charge the battery up. Well it happened the next tight as well. We cut our trip short because the temps were getting colder and it's not fun keeping warm with now battery power. After we got home I really dug into the electrical system. I found every GND connection was loose or not crimped very good at all. So now I have 2 batteries running in parallel and all my GND's and POS are checked and tight. I think most people know a bad GND will kill your battery.

We went out again dry camping 2 night 3 days and the batteries were perfect! Never got cold in the trailer and battery levels never dropped below good. As a new trailer owner with a new trailer I don't think you should have to check these kinds of things but this is my first and if I could give any new comer advise - (don't depend on anyone to do it right for you) if you have the god given gift to be able to fix it yourself do a complete double check on all vital systems on your trailer.

Now I feel confident to take our W&P anywhere...
Dry camping

New Double battery set up.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #20

2010 30WR New owner need electrical help.

All outlets forward of the garage bulkhead are DEAD... Is there a GFCI reset somewhere other than the breaker at the panel? The microwave outlet is hot but, is on a different circuit. Is there a wiring schematic available? 3 days ownership, camped 2 nights in 2012. Thanks...
sail_dog is offline   Reply With Quote