Old 08-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
01 Forest River fridge problem

Hello everyone. I am brand new to campers and we just purchased a 19ft used one. I took it out for the first time last night and we were hooked up to a 30 amp service. Everything worked great but the fridge would not get cold at all. I had the power on and tried it in auto and not in auto. When I turned it on either way I would hear a faint clicking sound then the check light would come on. Can anybody steer me in the right direction to go with this. Thank you in advance.

chadweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
You don't say how long you had it on, but it does take quite awhile to get these refrigerators cold. The clicking you heard was when it tried to light the LP gas. If you were on electric that should not be a problem. A couple of things my wife and I always do is put things in the fridge that are already cold. Also, the freezer will get cold first so check it after a few hours and leave the bottom closed as much as possible. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

2016 Puma 30RLIS
2011 Catalina 19RD - totalled by hail
cbenslay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
Lottery Non-Winner
The clicking sound was the refrigerator's attempt to operate from LP. This means it was not on electricity for whatever reason because you stated that you put it on auto. While in auto, with electricity applied, it should not have tried to run from LP. An investigation is warranted.

2011 Georgetown 337
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
If you are able to attach a picture of the fridge buttons you are pushing it may help in solving your problem.
"If everything seems to be going well, look around, you've obviously overlooked something."
Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
The clicking sound is the spark ignitor trying to light the propane burner. If it is unsuccessful the check light will come on. Try the cooktop to make sure you have propane and to bleed any air from the lines. If you have propane the burner may need to be cleaned.
If you are on electric there is a heater that should come on. Remove the outside panel and you should see a 120 volt outlet. Make sure the heater is plugged in. If so try plugging a lamp in the outlet to make sure you have power. If so the heater may have failed, if not check the breaker.
Also, it does take a while. If you have not given it several hours it may not have had time to get the cooling process started yet.
backin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
I had the panel open and turned the gas on and the burner is lit and no check light is on. I will see if it will cool down by just using the gas. I saw the plug and outlet that you are talking about in the panel also, I will go check that for voltage right now. I forgot to mention that my battery is dead and I lifted the positive lead a while ago because it was alarming with a low voltage alarm and it was loud. I have the lead back on now and it was on this morning and still having problems with it connected while trying to use it without the gas.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #7
I just checked the outlet in the outside panel and I do have 120v. The burner is still lit also. I will see how it does with the gas but would really like to run this on electric.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
i turned mine on this morning hoping to load it this evening. it does take awhile for the frig to cool. ur freezer will start cooling first.
in the future, when u light it on propane the first time after having the propane off at the bottle for a few days, light a burner on the stove. when ur able to light that. (shut it off) then turn the frig on. if the check light comes on after a few seconds, trun it off and right back on. it has to purge the air out of that line as well.
next time the frig has been sitting for a while (coils in back are room temp), turn it on on auto. abt 10 minutes later, see if that area above the burner is warm. if it is, the electrical element is working. the boiler has to heat the ammonia/water solution enough for the ammonia to boil out. it takes time. go back abt 15 minutes later, u should feal the freezer starting to cool...not cold.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #9
Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Turn fridge on------------

I turn the fridge on electric the morning of the day before we are to load the fridge with groceries. I also test the gas side to make sure it will lite. This is to insure the air is purged out of the gas line as mentioned by the seasoned RVers. The fridge will cool faster on propane, but I always start it in the electric mode. Switch to gas while you are traveling.
Sid, Lois & HRH MISSY Terrible 2s SHIH TZU
2011 ROCKWOOD 8285 WS
2014 F-250 KING RANCH PS/SD/6R140/BFT
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:57 PM   #10
Ok the fridge got nice and cold with the gas on. Then I turned the gas off and it doesn't work running off electric. I do have 120v on the outlet in the panel outside of the camper behind the fridge. Any ideas what I can do to remedy this situation?

expandable, hybrid, shamrock