Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #1

01 Forest River fridge problem

Hello everyone. I am brand new to campers and we just purchased a 19ft used one. I took it out for the first time last night and we were hooked up to a 30 amp service. Everything worked great but the fridge would not get cold at all. I had the power on and tried it in auto and not in auto. When I turned it on either way I would hear a faint clicking sound then the check light would come on. Can anybody steer me in the right direction to go with this. Thank you in advance.
chadweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:39 AM   #2

You don't say how long you had it on, but it does take quite awhile to get these refrigerators cold. The clicking you heard was when it tried to light the LP gas. If you were on electric that should not be a problem. A couple of things my wife and I always do is put things in the fridge that are already cold. Also, the freezer will get cold first so check it after a few hours and leave the bottom closed as much as possible. Good luck and welcome to the forum!
cbenslay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
Lottery Non-Winner

The clicking sound was the refrigerator's attempt to operate from LP. This means it was not on electricity for whatever reason because you stated that you put it on auto. While in auto, with electricity applied, it should not have tried to run from LP. An investigation is warranted.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #4

If you are able to attach a picture of the fridge buttons you are pushing it may help in solving your problem.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #5

The clicking sound is the spark ignitor trying to light the propane burner. If it is unsuccessful the check light will come on. Try the cooktop to make sure you have propane and to bleed any air from the lines. If you have propane the burner may need to be cleaned.
If you are on electric there is a heater that should come on. Remove the outside panel and you should see a 120 volt outlet. Make sure the heater is plugged in. If so try plugging a lamp in the outlet to make sure you have power. If so the heater may have failed, if not check the breaker.
Also, it does take a while. If you have not given it several hours it may not have had time to get the cooling process started yet.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #6

I had the panel open and turned the gas on and the burner is lit and no check light is on. I will see if it will cool down by just using the gas. I saw the plug and outlet that you are talking about in the panel also, I will go check that for voltage right now. I forgot to mention that my battery is dead and I lifted the positive lead a while ago because it was alarming with a low voltage alarm and it was loud. I have the lead back on now and it was on this morning and still having problems with it connected while trying to use it without the gas.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #7

I just checked the outlet in the outside panel and I do have 120v. The burner is still lit also. I will see how it does with the gas but would really like to run this on electric.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:39 PM   #8

i turned mine on this morning hoping to load it this evening. it does take awhile for the frig to cool. ur freezer will start cooling first.
in the future, when u light it on propane the first time after having the propane off at the bottle for a few days, light a burner on the stove. when ur able to light that. (shut it off) then turn the frig on. if the check light comes on after a few seconds, trun it off and right back on. it has to purge the air out of that line as well.
next time the frig has been sitting for a while (coils in back are room temp), turn it on on auto. abt 10 minutes later, see if that area above the burner is warm. if it is, the electrical element is working. the boiler has to heat the ammonia/water solution enough for the ammonia to boil out. it takes time. go back abt 15 minutes later, u should feal the freezer starting to cool...not cold.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Turn fridge on------------

I turn the fridge on electric the morning of the day before we are to load the fridge with groceries. I also test the gas side to make sure it will lite. This is to insure the air is purged out of the gas line as mentioned by the seasoned RVers. The fridge will cool faster on propane, but I always start it in the electric mode. Switch to gas while you are traveling.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2022 51 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:57 PM   #10

Ok the fridge got nice and cold with the gas on. Then I turned the gas off and it doesn't work running off electric. I do have 120v on the outlet in the panel outside of the camper behind the fridge. Any ideas what I can do to remedy this situation?
Old 08-07-2011, 04:53 AM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Takes a long time on ELECTRIC

Takes a long time to get cold on ele. Leave it on ELE over night to make sure it is not working?
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2022 51 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadweasel View Post
Ok the fridge got nice and cold with the gas on. Then I turned the gas off and it doesn't work running off electric. I do have 120v on the outlet in the panel outside of the camper behind the fridge. Any ideas what I can do to remedy this situation?
a very wild guess would be to look at the fuzes on the frig control board.

just out of curiosity, are u listening for something to run or does it just start getting warm after a couple hours when u switch over to electric? the electric is a heating element.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:41 AM   #13
Lottery Non-Winner

jimh is right about the electric being a heating element. You won't hear a motorized compressor kick on like you do for a house refrigerator.
If you have electricity at the outlet (you said you did), but it still won't chill while set to electric, then I would suspect either the element has gone bad, or the control board has gone bad.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovair View Post
jimh is right about the electric being a heating element. You won't hear a motorized compressor kick on like you do for a house refrigerator.
If you have electricity at the outlet (you said you did), but it still won't chill while set to electric, then I would suspect either the element has gone bad, or the control board has gone bad.
I will have to look into these. Thank you all for your help.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #15

Would the fridge use the control board while using gas? How could I test the heating element? And also how long does a propane tank last if only using it for the refrigerator? You all have been alot of help. Thank you and sorry for bugging you with all these questions.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #16

Just so you know Chad, running on gas uses very little propane, it would take several weeks to run out of a tank.
Jack
PS...it took a few times reading the instructions near the buttons to make me understand how it works.
And when you fire it up on electicity, it takes a long time to get cold. Running on propane is much more efficient.
And you said you had a problem with the battery. You have to have 12 volt to make it work right, even if you are hooked to shore power.

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhartjr View Post
Just so you know Chad, running on gas uses very little propane, it would take several weeks to run out of a tank.
Jack
PS...it took a few times reading the instructions near the buttons to make me understand how it works.
And when you fire it up on electicity, it takes a long time to get cold. Running on propane is much more efficient.
And you said you had a problem with the battery. You have to have 12 volt to make it work right, even if you are hooked to shore power.
I think I will just run it off of gas. This is our first camper and we are a young family with only one income. I can't afford to take it in for repairs at this time. That being said I did land the battery lead back on yesterday when I had it plugged in and also had 12vDC in the outside panel behind the fridge. I think the inverter is still working properly and will supply my 12vDC with the dead battery hooked up. My cheap ass will buy a new battery now that this is going to be our method of cooling the refrigerator. Thanks much-Chad
Old 08-09-2011, 08:50 AM   #18

at some point, when ur not going to use it for a few days, try just putting it on electric and see if it cools overnight.
control boards do control elec and gas. i don't know how independent they work. no experience there.
the 12 volt is necessary to run the board. when ur plugged into shore power, the converter should supply ur needs. a dead battery can creat some interesting problems. although i haven't had one give that kind of problem while on shore power, i certainly wouldn't rule it out.
i believe i've read there are two fuses on the control board. one is probably for the heating element (a guess). i would check them. these fuses are in addition to the circuit fuses in ur fuse panel. if one is blown, i would try another but the overriding question would be why did it blow. if it continues to work after replacing a fuse great.
i'm hoping the problem is just not enough patience in waiting for it to cool. it does have to get the ammonia water hot enough to boil the ammonia (refrigerant) out of it.
at least u know the frig works.

hope u enjoy ur trailer as much or more than i have enjoyed mine.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #19

I checked the 2 glass fuses and they were ok. After I get a new battery I will report back. Thank you all for your help.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:05 PM   #20

The fridge on our Shamrock 21ss has a push botton on the top that allows you to run either on shore power or LP gas. On ours, the fridge will run on shore power when the button is in the "in" position, and will run on LP gas when it is in the "out" position.

Mybe your fridge has the same buttons?

Tags
expandable, hybrid, shamrock