Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #1

1st step - Testing appliances -Hot Water Doubts

Hi friends,

As a newbie in Travel Trailers, I´m testing all the appliances of the Shamrock (17ft). Radio, water, battery, fridge, shower and A/C, just to prepare the next adventure . Everything seems to work properly, just have some doubts about the water heater:

a) Took me a lot to turn it on....do have any tips to speed it up?
b) Any other tip or basics about the hot water operation? How long the heater takes to heat the water - really hot -?
c) Wich of the fuacets is the hot water in the sink, shower and bath? (stupid question)

By patov6 at 2012-06-10

By patov6 at 2012-06-10

By patov6 at 2012-06-10
patov6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Explain a lot to turn on?
I just fill tank while relief valve is open unless already full then I turn on electric and gas at the same time.

Hot water taps are the same in your camper as your house.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Explain a lot to turn on?
I just fill tank while relief valve is open unless already full then I turn on electric and gas at the same time.

Hot water taps are the same in your camper as your house.
I kept pressing the pilot enough time and not feel the gas coming out. Finally, after 20 minutes playing, the flame appeared ...
Old 06-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #4

For getting LP gas to the hot water heater I turn on my LP (open the valve at the tank) and go to the stove/range on the counter. Light a burner and let it burn for a few seconds. That usually gets any air out of the line prior to shifting the refrigerator to LP or getting the water heater lit off on LP. If you are having problems getting the water heater to light off I'd take a look at the burner tube and see if a spider or other critter has taken up residence. Spider just love LP burner tubes for some strange reason.
Hope this helps.
Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasnipe View Post
For getting LP gas to the hot water heater I turn on my LP (open the valve at the tank) and go to the stove/range on the counter. Light a burner and let it burn for a few seconds. That usually gets any air out of the line prior to shifting the refrigerator to LP or getting the water heater lit off on LP. If you are having problems getting the water heater to light off I'd take a look at the burner tube and see if a spider or other critter has taken up residence. Spider just love LP burner tubes for some strange reason.
Hope this helps.
Chris in Virginia
Ok Chris, nice tip

How long before you turn the shower you must turn on the heater?
Old 06-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #6

Once you are parked and setup, start the water heater and leave it on. That way you have hot water when needed. Basically just like at home, except on a smaller scale.
One thing you will also learn, start the refer 48 hours before you want to leave, 24 hours prior, load it. Day of departure, hook up and pull out. I turn on my gas and purge the lines by lighting the burners on the stove at the same time i start the refer. That way it will not flame out while traveling.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:27 PM   #7

When we arrive at the campground and after city water and power are connected I turn the hot water heater on. I use both LP gas and the electric element (my unit has both). From cold start it takes about 1/2 hour (maybe less) to warm the hot water tank enough to take a shower or wash dishes.
By the way, if you ever have problems with the refrigerator lighting off on LP check its burner tube for spiders and critters. Vacuum cleaners help out a lot with cleaning them out. That little check on the refrigerator and hot water heater can save a service call/visit.

Chris in Virginia

Old 06-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
Once you are parked and setup, start the water heater and leave it on. That way you have hot water when needed. Basically just like at home, except on a smaller scale.
One thing you will also learn, start the refer 48 hours before you want to leave, 24 hours prior, load it. Day of departure, hook up and pull out. I turn on my gas and purge the lines by lighting the burners on the stove at the same time i start the refer. That way it will not flame out while traveling.
Quote:
When we arrive at the campground and after city water and power are connected I turn the hot water heater on. I use both LP gas and the electric element (my unit has both). From cold start it takes about 1/2 hour (maybe less) to warm the hot water tank enough to take a shower or wash dishes.
By the way, if you ever have problems with the refrigerator lighting off on LP check its burner tube for spiders and critters. Vacuum cleaners help out a lot with cleaning them out. That little check on the refrigerator and hot water heater can save a service call/visit.

Chris in Virginia
Thanks Don and Chris for the valuable comments, I will put them on practice
I always had the feeling that is not secure to travel with the gas lighted. What do you think about that, from the safety point of view of course?
Old 06-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #9

Travel with hot water heater lighted

Traveling with the hot water heater lighted is not recommended. The flame is not protected like the refrigerator and would likely blow out. So you should turn it off prior to pulling out from your camp site. It is OK to travel with the refrigerator on gas, just be careful about refueling stops. Don't worry about the water in the heater getting cold quickly, those heaters are well insulated and it would not long to get up to temperature once you get to your next destination.
Glad to help out.
Chris in Virginia

Old 06-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

We leave the water heater on while traveling until we get home. Then I will shut it off after DW gets her things done in case she needs hot water. Once she is finished, I will shut both elec & propane off, open the relief valve and pull the anode. We don't camp every weekend and usually only about every 4-6 wks and will install the anode, turn the pump on, fill the wh and then turn both gas & elec on again. May not be the recommended way, but the way we've been doing it for years.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

We leave ours on while travelling as well.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #12

The new DSI water heater will work while traveling, the same goes for the refrigerator. The old style appliances has pilot lights that would get blown out while driving.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Traveling with the hot water heater lighted is not recommended. The flame is not protected like the refrigerator and would likely blow out. So you should turn it off prior to pulling out from your camp site. It is OK to travel with the refrigerator on gas, just be careful about refueling stops. Don't worry about the water in the heater getting cold quickly, those heaters are well insulated and it would not long to get up to temperature once you get to your next destination.
Glad to help out.
Chris in Virginia
Thanks Chris, I will take care to travel with the hot water turned off. The good news is that we are able to travel with the refrigerator turned on.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #14

My old popup's WH had a pilot that had to be pressed down while you lit it. Even after bleeding the lines as others have described it still took forever for it to light. I cut a old piece of PVC pipe so that I could wedge it in to hold the pilot knob down while I held the lighter to the pilot burner. Didn't make it light faster but it sure was easier on my hand.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtsx3 View Post
My old popup's WH had a pilot that had to be pressed down while you lit it. Even after bleeding the lines as others have described it still took forever for it to light. I cut a old piece of PVC pipe so that I could wedge it in to hold the pilot knob down while I held the lighter to the pilot burner. Didn't make it light faster but it sure was easier on my hand.
hehehe...nice idea

Tags
expandable, hybrid, shamrock