Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2014, 09:15 PM   #1

2001 roo m-21 roof leak damage and repair

We bought this trailer last year and learned we got a lemon from craigslist.
I rebuilt the bathroom floor, rear bunk (which I still owe pictures and instructions to that post, sorry) and will be rebuilding the front bunk soon.

Before the horrible winter started I contemplated putting a tarp over the roof of the Roo and weighed my decision of not by reading the forum. A few weeks later after the rain and snow began my neighbor gave me his cover he had from his old camper which was in great shape. I never had a chance to put it on since the roof had water on it and I never wanted to trap the water underneath the cover.

This winter crawled by with no love from old man winter dumping record snow and ice on lancaster pa. I regularly checked the trailer and never really found anything to worry about until the temperatures warmed up and the melting process began. The previous owner had repaired water damage in the bathroom and had told me he never had a leak after his nephew a rv repair mechanic replaced the skylight and sealed it up. He said a tree branch went through the skylight and they were away for a month. When I went in the trailer this week the ceiling in the bathroom was sagging and I knew I had a mess ahead of me. (see attached picture).
I intend on rebuilding the bathroom back to its pre water damage state and will install support for the new skylight and fan but
need help determining a few things:
1. What material is my roof? EPDM? TPO?
2. Should I remove and replace the entire roof? Material costs are low $500
range for EPDM, or should I use an EPDM coat after I finish the rebuild of the bathroom from the inside?
Im leaning towards the EPDM coat since replacing the roof is a task Im thinking might be a serious challenge for one man.

Any thoughts or comments appreciated. As I rebuild I will post some update pics for future hybrid roo and shamrock owners.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	49086  
Hivoltage98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

So sorry to hear about your problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivoltage98 View Post
1. What material is my roof? EPDM? TPO?
Hard to say on a Roo that old. Maybe EPDM but that is purely guesswork and you should confirm it as I know one owner with a 2003 Shamrock and his is a TPO. Usually EPDM is smooth and feels rubbery. TPO is hard and textured. There are two other ways to verify: One is to contact FR and give them the VIN and they should be able to tell you what kind of roof material it is. Second, here is a handy video...

How to Determine Your RV Roof Type - presented by Dicor - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivoltage98 View Post

2. Should I remove and replace the entire roof? Material costs are low $500 range for EPDM, or should I use an EPDM coat after I finish the rebuild of the bathroom from the inside?
Im leaning towards the EPDM coat since replacing the roof is a task Im thinking might be a serious challenge for one man.
I can't really help with that choice as I don't have direct experience with an EPDM coating. Much of that decision will be based on the extant of damage to the material underneath the roof, however. Very extensive water damage might require the whole roof replacement.

Best of luck and I hope you post back with your repairs (and pics).

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, repair, roo, roof