Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #1

2002 Roo 21

Hello,

We are new to this forum and new to RV's. We are looking at a 2002 Roo 21' at a local dealer. It has had some water leaks in the past, but there are no soft spots in the ceiling at all. The dealer said they will go over the roof and completely re-seal it. There is also evidence of water at the bunk ends. I believe there is supposed to be a rubber cover on the inside of the unit that seals the hinge from the inside. I have heard it called a rubber damn. This is missing. They are asking 7995 for the unit. It does have a spring loaded roll out awning, water filter, outside grill/stove, and a cover for the whole trailer. does anyone have any experience with the 2002's and could give us some advice with these? We are really looking at this as a starter camper to see if this is something we will really use and like doing.

Thanks
HDBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome HDBiker!

My advice is to run (not walk) away from this deal at that price.

A new one will run you more of course (probably $17k-$19K) but it will also be 12 years newer (we are on model year 2014). I estimate that this one is worth $2K at this point with the water damage.

You can look up values in your area's Craigslist listings and other classifieds. Also, there is Kelly Blue Book for RVs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	127
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	32416  

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #3

I looked it up in NADA and saw the same price. I figured it had to be wrong. We have about eight to ten grand to spend for a starter camper. Any thoughts?
Old 06-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #4

For 8-10k you should be able to find something quite a bit newer. Is it just the two of you? What are you towing it with?

Any thoughts on what you want in it? Things you've seen on other trailers that you like? Would you look at a popup? Anything you really don't want or have to have?
Old 06-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDBiker View Post
I looked it up in NADA and saw the same price. I figured it had to be wrong. We have about eight to ten grand to spend for a starter camper. Any thoughts?
Not to t off the hybrid or tent camper guys but I'd look for a small tt within the range of your tv and budget of course.

My co-worker just purchased a 2009 25'
Tt for 10, 900.

Bunk house to boot.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I think deciding on what you want (without experience camping can be a crap shoot, but you can gather thoughts from people here and that will help a lot).

Some questions I would ask someone interested in buying their first camper like a hybrid or popup would be:

How big is your family (i.e., how many beds do you need?) Don't skimp here as making beds from tables and couches gets old really fast.

Popups and Hybrids mean canvas. Do you like the idea of sleeping under canvas? I do and so does my wife. Many don't.

What are you towing with or plan to use? Understanding that limitation might rule out types of trailers and sizes of trailers.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 06-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #7

Might also want to consider storage. With my popup I was able to store it at home or work. I love my Roo but now I have to pay for storage.
grege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #8

Just to give u an idea, I bought a 2010 roo 21rs for $10k about 2 months ago. In brand new shape. Only used 6 times.
labman1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #9
Site Team

HDbiker, it would help if you told us what you'll be towing with.
Also, prices vary greatly, depending on where you live.
Hybrids cost way more out West, vs prices in the Midwest.
Finally, are you sure you want a hybrid. Most hybrid owners are former popup owners and prefer the canvas ends and are willing to deal with the few negatives that come with that.
Many newbies don't think about this and end up selling their hybrid.
So, be sure you know all the pros and cons of hybrids.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #10

The TV is a 2010 F150 XLT with the 5.4 V8 3.55 rear end and towing package. The manual is listed to handle 10,000lbs. We used to pull A seven thousand pound sailboat with no problems. I am not too sure about a pop-up. They seem like they are a lot of work setting up and taking down. I do like openness of the hybrids and the fact the beds aren't taking up valuable floor space. I went on Craig's list and found an aero lite cub 21 hybrid. They are asking 3900 with new tires. Are the cubs a good camper?
Old 06-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I can't help with the cubs. Maybe Dan can (he's more on top of those types of thing).

Popups can be a lot of work, mostly dealing with packing, organizing and the setup and take-down.

Hybrids have some of the same work involved but the organizing is much easier in my opinion. You still have some setup and take-down with the bunks, although that only adds another 5 minutes per bunk when I have help from my kids and a little more when its just me.

The sailboat has less wind resistance and typically a lower center of gravity than a hybrid or any other non-popup trailer. Towing a travel trailer is kind of like pulling a sail behind you. Still there are few to no hybrids with a GVWR of 7,000lbs so you're good to tow any of them with your truck.

2012 Shamrock 233S