Old 11-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #1

2006 roo 23b

New to forum. I bought this Tt about 1.5 yrs ago. Bought a new deep cycle battery this spring and have noticed reduced capacity at seasons end. My question is , does the charging system in camper over charge battery while plugged into campground ? Our trips usually last between 3 days to 10. ? Everything seems to work ok. Noticed reduced capacity when parked at home not plugged in. When battery was new it would last over a week and now just a couple of days with no lights on.

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

RV's, including hybrid TT's, have parasitic power drains.
leaving a RV unplugged to shore power, will allow these drains to empty a battery in just a few days. the worst is that in a couple days, they can lower a battery below 50%, which is not good for the battery's life expectancy.
if you allow the battery to drop below that, recharging just a couple of hours will not be adequate.
sounds like you allowed the battery to drop below 50% too many times and now it won't last as long as it did when it was new.

most of us install a battery disconnect switch. some of the newer Roo's have a factory-installed one now.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'd say Dan hit it on the head. A battery that shows reduced capacity after only 8 months has probably been discharged too far and too often. A battery disconnect is really useful when you are at home.

You might want to test that battery yourself or take it to a shop for testing. This Trojan manual explains how to test it yourself.

As for your concern about the converter, that is possible that it caused the battery to be overcharged if its an older single stage converter. But, a 2006 probably uses a WFCO 89XX, which has three modes. Assuming its properly working, it won't boil the battery.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #4

Thanks for the information . Based on the Trojan info, I didn't realize that 12.3vdc would be such diminished capacity. I'll try recharging and leave it on a battery tender and will see how it performs in the spring. The good part is its just a battery and easily replaced .

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Old 11-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #5

I don't have a battery disconnect, so I manually disconnect after every trip.

Nights camped in 2011/36, 2012/9, 2013/24, 2014/27; 2015/50 2016: 34
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:32 AM   #6

Just got Walmart to swap out battery at no charge. Plan on putting in battery disconnect in spring. I am getting a battery tender. I will use battery disconnect when camper is back home. Should I disconnect battery while camping (7 days or more) to help prevent overcharging? I know the converter is not supposed to overcharge the battery , but not sure how to check if all stages of converter are working properly.

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Old 11-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I don't disconnect when camping for a few reasons. If not hooked up, which is much of the time as we camp dry, than the fridge will need the battery to run.

If I'm hooked up to electrical (120Vac), than I trust that the converter is doing its job and keeping the batteries charged. If you believe your converter is faulty, there are ways to check it both at the converter and at the battery with a multimeter. Here are some manuals for various converters (since I don't know which one you own) Power and Electrical.

Basically, you are looking to check the DC voltage output. With the typical WFCO, this should be about 13.6Vdc +/- 0.2 unless you are in a bulk charge mode (14.4Vdc +/- 0.2).

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
rbq

When I had my PUP I had to replace the converter & put in a WFCO converter that included the charger. After having some problems I had to call WFCO to have them help me solve the problem. Their customer service was excellant & very helpful. After talking with them found that there was nothing wrong with the converter & that my battery was toast. They can tell you how to test the converter to see that it is operating properly.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #9

My single battery in my RV Cherokee is 3 years old. I was so use to maintenence free 12 volt batteries for my cars. I didn't think to check the water levels in the deep cycle RV battery. Should have known something was wrong when the battery didn't have the juice to open the slideout. My LP detector was alerting to a low voltage as well. Found water levels only half full. Refilling with distilled water and recharging made no difference. The battery had to be replaced. So FYI keep your battery water levels toped off.