Old 07-02-2014, 08:59 PM   #1

2006 Shamrock Hybrid Leak at Fold Out Bunk / Bed Ends

I am 2nd owner of a 2006 Shamrock Hybrid trailer, 17ft. Have owned for 3 years. Trailer never was covered or stored inside. I only now noticed that the front fold out bed has sustained lots of water damage Looks like water is getting in through the top, just below gutter. Seems a design flaw to me, in that the gutter appears too small and does not hang far enough over the closed bed. Note the two bunk hinges/locks do secure the bed as tight as possible to the frame, so that is not the problem. When spraying with hose, the gutter is seen to overflow, and water flows between the bottom of gutter and the top edge of closed bed. Also probably pretty bad during winter snowfall and accumulation on top. There are no noticeable leaks when bed is folded down (tested by spraying hose).

When the bed is folded down, there is noticeable water damage in the bed near the hinge (since the leak resulted in water flowing down to bottom of closed bed).

Anyone have similar experience?
Any ideas or solutions that have been addressed to improve the gutter?
Does anyone know what these fold out beds frames are made of? Is it just a perimeter aluminum frame that holds a wooden base?
I am afraid if it is just wood and now aluminum frame throughout, I am going to flal right through the bed!
Any used market for these fold out beds? Realistic to replace just the bed?

Sorry lots of questions, but any input on above (or other) is much appreciated!

Old 07-02-2014, 11:25 PM   #2
kpm

As a owner of a brand new Roo23ss, I experienced the horror of Bunk end Leaks while they are in the closed position. While the first dealer repair attempt fixed the rear bunk, I still have leaks in the front. The positive in all this is that the problem was caught early and it looks like a simple fix. After weeks of monitoring the point of water entry has been determined.
While many owners never have had a leak, there appears to be a small group that do experience this "real" problem. Seems like some people are in denial that this is even a problem. Someone told me they never heard of such a problem. Yeah right LOL. Just do a google search.

Let me say that there are tons of posts in this forum that address some if not all of your questions. I did find a post where some owners modified the gutter system fixed their leaking problems.

Good luck!

Old 07-02-2014, 11:28 PM   #3
kpm

This is a good example of a thread where an owner fixed the problem. Check out the links on page 3 to see the pictures of the solution.
Bunk end water fix...cheap!
Old 07-02-2014, 11:41 PM   #4

I'll be watching this thread as well... I have 232 Roo and when we bought it I noticed the front bunk had soft spots in the wood near the hinge. When we opened it, I could see water was on the tent.

It appears that previous owner put a black foam strip across the top in the rear to help seal it tighter, but didn't to the front. The rear didn't have any leaks.

So the dealer put one across the top on the front. I guess only time will tell (I haven't been out in rain yet.. (knock on wood... First trip this weekend).

-- 2005 Ford F150 FTX with Roush SuperCharger
-- 2016 Salem Hemisphere Lite 27BH
Shanks12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:32 AM   #5
Moderators' Assistant

there is not aluminum frame to the bunk door.
it's simply luan with a metal frame around it. no internal metal frame of any kind.
no hybrid, no matter the manufacturer, has bunk doors with an internal metal frame.

like was said, there are numerous posts on many hybrid forums that can help you with replacement. you just have to do a search.

this is the key area to check constantly on a hybrid. the bunk doors and the hinge area of the bunk doors. i check my hinge area after every big rain and always make sure no canvas gets trapped in the seals.

many find that the marker lights above the door, weren't sealed well and let water in, which drains down to the hinge area and wicks into the door.
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:09 AM   #6

Thanks for the heads up. Will keep a close eye on those marker lights.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #7
Moderators' Assistant

just a comment about the gutter above the door.
i have a 2007 Roo 23SS, just a year newer than the OP's.
i have the same gutter as his Shamrock.

i've never had any major leaks/water in my bunk door frame/hinge area.
but i check it religiously and if i do get a little water, i dab it up with a rag.

another possible cause is after years of use, the bunk door can bow in the middle, causing a gap between seals when closed. it's something to keep an eye on. i use a piece of paper and see if it slides between the seals when closed up.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:52 PM   #8

@Bikendan - What does that gutter look like?

Old 07-03-2014, 05:12 PM   #9
kpm

Here is a pic I found online of a Roo with I am assuming is a gutter. Do a google image search for Rockwood Roo and a whole slew pop up. You will see different styles and some have those gutters. My Roo23ss did not come with a gutter installed. Although, BikenDan can elaborate more than me on the different model variations. Hope that helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roo gutter.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	57051  
Old 07-03-2014, 05:32 PM   #10
Moderators' Assistant

yep, the gutter over the door has been there for years.
it was only in a recent thread, that i saw that the gutter had been eliminated on the last couple of model years.
wasn't aware until then, that it wasn't standard anymore and don't know why it was eliminated.

Tags
bed, hybrid, leak, shamrock