Old 08-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #1

Question 2008 Roo 21SS

Well here i am. First post as we found a 2008 Roo 21ss for $12999 from a local dealer in the SF Bay Area. Unit is clean with no funky smells, that's my wife talking not me. Only concerns I have is the air conditioner ducts, some have good flow and some don't have any. And there seems to be a soft spot on the floor as you walk, not sure if it's just like that or the floor is delaminating. Hoping to get the dealer down to around $11k with hitch. Thoughts?

Old 08-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

to the forum. Hope you like it here!

Here are some thoughts for you.

All prices are area specific but the prices for Hybrids on the West Coast are reportedly inflated relative to the Midwest. Just keep that in mind when you compare.

Check NADA to get an idea for the price on this unit.

Our AC also has some vents that blow better than others. Assuming there is nothing wrong with the ducts, the air velocity will be greater closer to the AC unit. You might try and restrict the flow on the vents closest to the AC and/or close the dump grills on the AC unit to force more flow to the other vents. Also, we use the 12v fans to move more air into the back bunk area.

The soft spot could be a problem (or not). I think you should explore the area. Is it soft because of a leak? If its water damage...be wary buying this. Is it an area that is not glued while the rest is? Is it a soft spot due to lack of support? You get the idea. The important thing is to isolate the reason.

Good luck with your buying decision and let us know what you end up doing.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #3

Scott, thanks for the tips. I plan on spending some time with it on Saturday and I'll play with the vents, we did close the the "dump" grill on the main AC unit and then some air started to flow to the ducted vents. I'll close off all the ones that work and see what the others do.

The soft spot on the floor is about 2 steps in and turn left one step, not sure how big an area is soft but I'll pay more attention. Other than looking under the trailer how would you figure out why it's soft? Sky River is the dealer and they are providing a 1 year warranty on it, but not sure what is cover and if it only covers "new to me" problems.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

It will be hard to tell why this is soft - Owners have drilled and cut the flooring to find their problems, but I am sure they will not allow you to do that, of course.

"How soft is soft?" is something I should have asked. Does this seem like a real issue involving water damage or is it more of a support and glue issue? Could it be that the luan underneath the vinyl allowed the styrofoam insulation to get crushed a little? Sorry for all the questions. Its really hard to diagnose because it could be a number of issues. Some are bad, like the water damage, but others can be lived with.

I think the first thing I would do (if I trusted the dealer) is to ask them to discover why the floor is soft and to document the reason for you; especially if its going to be covered under their warranty.

But on your own, you should check for discoloration that indicates water damage. That spot sounds like its close to the kitchen sink, right? You might check under the kitchen sink for a water leak in one of the water lines. That happened to me before.

You can look underneath the trailer for support. Does it look like this "soft spot" might be in an area with no support? Maybe that explains it. Here's a thread that might help you.

I was going to ask if they will provide some type of warranty. Is this warranty directly from them or is it from a third-party? Read the fine print closely. Many of these aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 08-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

One more thing that can help you as you inspect this trailer is a checklist.

Take a look at this PDI checklist and take it with you when you revisit the dealer.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 08-15-2012, 12:21 AM   #6

Thanks Scott. I ran the pricing on the NADA guide and their asking price is low, unless I'm doing something wrong. Their asking $12995, NADA guide has pricing low retail at $15800.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:26 AM   #7
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottria View Post
Thanks Scott. I ran the pricing on the NADA guide and their asking price is low, unless I'm doing something wrong. Their asking $12995, NADA guide has pricing low retail at $15800.
having tried to buy a Roo out here on the West Coast and ended up driving to Chicago and back, to get ours because of high prices out here, i will say that the price they're asking is not bad for here.

of course i bought our new '07 Roo 23SS for $14,500 and it almost worth that still, according to NADA.
NADA is based on MSRP, which no one pays. but most Indiana-built RVs do get close to MSRP out here.
so, if you lived in the Midwest, NADA prices would be way too high.
but for in Calif., it's not a bad price to go by.
but, personally, i wouldn't pay that much for a 5 year-old hybrid. but good used hybrids out here, get way more than in the rest of the country.

i would be concerned on the soft spot though.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #8

Update on the Roo

Wife and I took the kids to see the Roo, they feel i love with it along with a big diesel pusher that had a 32in flat screen outside!!! Anyway, we walked through several new trailers and they all seemed to have a "soft" floor like the Roo we looked at, I rolled under the Roo and gave it a good looking over. The black plastic cover had no signs of rips or bulges indicating water. Only problem I saw was a red wire with a support mount that ripped out the floor, looks like a power wire to the slide on the rear slide frame. Easy fix but why did it happen? Also under the mattresses the support board had a bunch of little holes along the frames, not sure what caused it but I would seal it up.

Well it seems they priced it wrong on RV trader, floor price is $14,995 and RV trader had listed at $12,999, they agreed to sell it ti me for the $12,999 plus the WDH for $600, PDI at $600, tax and license it was $15,700 OTD .

Offered $12K OTD plus the $600 for the hitch and the declined. They had a show this weekend and the salesman said it would be gone by Sunday and they usually get over 400 people at these things. I decided to sit on it through the show and see if they really sell it, if not I'll see if they call back and maybe we can meet in the middle. I think I'll buy my WDH online since it's a lot cheaper than what they will be charging and see if I can get the PDI cut in half.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #9

Well crap, it sold Back to looking.