Originally Posted by rsweet66
I was wondering if the clearance lights ended up being the source of your leaks and if so how did you fix it. Our leak seems to be getting worse and I just haven't had a chance to fool with it.
I resealed the clearance lights this past weekend. I popped out the back bunk in preparation for the rain that came last night. It has been raining for 24 hours now and no leaks yet!
This is what I did to reseal them:
- Remove the lens cap and unscrew the lights. My lens caps were 1/2 full of water and it was flowing into the holes where the wires came out. I could feel the wetness in 2 of the 5. The clearance lights were loaded with caulk so I can't tell if the water was getting in only via the lens cap or if it was still getting behind the lens base.
- Scrape away ALL of the old caulking.
- I had to add some additional caulking to the top of the rain gutter since I had scraped some of it away when getting the surface clean in preparation for resealing the light bases. I used ProFlex that I got from my local RV store. Silicon caulk will not adhere properly to the fiberglass shell. Let this dry.
- Examine your bases. ALL of mine were installed in what I think is upside down. The "Made in China" print on the backside of the base was upside down. This made the notch in the base at the top, which help you get a screw driver in there to pop off the lens. I think this notch also allows water to exit (or enter in my case) the lens easier. I wanted this at the bottom. The bottom line is that you want the base to the waterproof, but the lens is allows to let water get in and get out.
- I molded butyl tape around most of the base, leaving a 1" section on the bottom open to allow moisture to escape. The bottom section butts up to the top of the rain gutter... this is why I resealed the rain gutter first. I screwed the bases in using screws that were a hair larger because the original ones were rusty and not tight enough anymore.
- For good measure, I added a bit of ProFlex on the top and sides of the lens base over the butyl tape, but not at the bottom.
Another popular fix is to replace the clearance lights with LED fixtures. These new fixtures are perfectly flat on the backside and don't protrude back into the shell of the camper like the bulb bases on ours do. This allows you to bring the wires out and then seal up the hole with something like EverSeal of Eternabond tape.