Old 08-22-2011, 09:13 AM   #1

2009 Roo 233 bunk end leak

Greetings from Acadia. We just endured a heavy rain in our roo 233 and there is a leak in the back and front bunk ends. The water drips down over the white metal piece on the inside. It is worse in the back bunk and slight in the front bunk.

we bought this camper used this spring. i noticed some evidence of water on the bottom of the upper shelving in the rear bunk. the seller told me that he used the wrong tension on the pole once and that happened and "assured" me it never happened me again. the rest of the camper was in great shape so i believed him. My problem now!

Several camping trips later, I've tried all different pole tensions and we are still having a leak problem.

Like I said, it is a 2009 (title says 2009)... but i believe it was delivered in 2008. From what I read, a seal was fixed in this model year. How can I tell if I have the new seal? I don't believe I have and leaking when the camper is closed up, but I haven't driven it in the rain.

I attached a photo, it's not great but the best I can do with a phone here at the campground. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Aug 22, 7 58 03 AM.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	7540  

Old 08-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #2

We just had the exact same issue in our 2007 23SS, only our leak was on the front bunk. We were just finishing up an 11 night trip and experienced a lot of heavy rain. Camper held up great until the very last night and then we experienced the leak on the front end. We had the seals replaced last year and the camper still leaks while towing in the rain. Ours was purchased used as well so we are stuck to deal with it. At this point now where we are seriously thinking of moving up to a regular TT. Good Luck! Hoping someone has a suggestion that we both can try.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:15 PM   #3

I've read some posts where people suggest resealing the orange travel lights at the top of the camper. Evidently some are sealed poorly and water can get in there. Mine look ok from the ground, but I will check them better with a ladder when I get home.

I'm not too hopeful, but it is something to check. My side bunk doesn't have the problem and there are no travel lights above that!
Old 08-22-2011, 10:34 PM   #4
Moderators' Assistant

i agree about checking the sealing around the clearance lights above the bunk.
your pic looks like water could be dripping down from the lights into the trailer.
you could also check the gutter above the bunk.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:47 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply. You seem to be the Roo-guru here! I will check the gutter. Is there caulking up there that can go bad?

The infamous seal replacement fix, which I think was pre 2009, does that fix defective seals for a top leak like mine or was that mainly for bad seals at the bottom where the hinge is?

My poor little 2 year old daughter wasn't too happy to be woken to a wet bed this morning at 6am. Meanwhile I should be staring up at the amazing Acadia stars and not at this darn IPhone screen!
Old 08-22-2011, 11:54 PM   #6
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoso View Post
Thanks for the reply. You seem to be the Roo-guru here! I will check the gutter. Is there caulking up there that can go bad?

The infamous seal replacement fix, which I think was pre 2009, does that fix defective seals for a top leak like mine or was that mainly for bad seals at the bottom where the hinge is?
i pale in comparison to the Roo GuRoos on RV.net's Hybrid Forum. there a lot of them there, since it's a more active Hybrid site than any other one.

the seal replacement kits seemed to come in different kits.
some included a new hinge, some just had seals and some had certain sections only.
not sure if they were different for different model years.
i had all of my front seals replaced, plus FR sent a new bunk door, even though mine was fine.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #7

I checked our trailer yesterday after a big rain storm and the only place I noticed any moisture was over the white metal piece you mentioned. I also noticed drip marks on the tent end fabric that is sitting directly below. Looks like only a few drops are getting through but it's probably worth checking before it gets any worse or does internal damage.
2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:07 PM   #8

Update: most of the clearance lights were 1/2 full of water and the screws rusty. The hole for the wires is huge and I definitely believe water was getting in through the holes. It looks like the previous owner used a lot of silicon caulk on both the base and the lens... Neither of which was effective. From what I read silicon caulk doesn't stick well to the fiberglass shell.

I read a few posts where people recommend using butyl tape behind the base and leaving a gap on the bottom of the base to allow water out. I can't do that on the Roo because the bottom of the base is touching the rain gutter... So I'll try my hardest to seal it completely. I also saw recommendations to tape over the hole for the wires, but I can't do that either because the bulb holder pokes back into the hole when it is mounted. So butyl tape and then something like Proflex Or Dicor lap around the edge for added protection. I'll put a dab of silicon caulk on the lens cap top edge but leave the bottom open to let moisture out. Sound like a good plan?

In other crappy Roo news, my front bunk leaked while closed up and driving in the rain. So much for having the upgraded / fixed seal that prevents this.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #9

Just out of curriousity how do you remove the clearance lights? I definately want to check mine out. We had very little water get into the camper even with hurricane Irene but it was enough to get the curtain wet so it has to be coming in somewhere!
Old 09-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsweet66 View Post
Just out of curriousity how do you remove the clearance lights? I definately want to check mine out. We had very little water get into the camper even with hurricane Irene but it was enough to get the curtain wet so it has to be coming in somewhere!
Just pop the lens off the base with your fingers or pry it off with a flat head screwdriver. Inside, you'll see two screws holding the base onto the camper. Unscrew those two and the only thing holding the light base on is caulking (if anything - my appears to have been tampered with by the previous owner so I'm not sure what it looks like straight from the factory).

Tags