Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2011, 07:29 AM   #21

I recently had a 3 day trip which rained the whole time. On my way home, water leaked into the front bunk. I suspect it came from the top. It continued to rain two more days, so I was slow in opening up the Roo. I now have water damage the whole length of the front shelf. Anyone know how I can get a replacement front shelf?
Yentesmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yentesmj View Post
I recently had a 3 day trip which rained the whole time. On my way home, water leaked into the front bunk. I suspect it came from the top. It continued to rain two more days, so I was slow in opening up the Roo. I now have water damage the whole length of the front shelf. Anyone know how I can get a replacement front shelf?
Take a look at this series of pictures from another member who replaced the shelving adjacent to the bunks on his 23SS.

I think you would either find your own wood or call FR.

Also might be covered under warranty depending on how old your trailer is.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:58 AM   #23

I did the same and replaced my shelf on 23ss.
I used 1/2" Oak plywood. It was $45 at home depot.
I also double coated it with polyurethane on both sides and all the edges to help protect it from any further water that may get on it.
I also added some "Hearth Kushion" to the edge of the shelf as the wife was complaining of the sharp edge entering and exiting the bunks. Found some at home depot but cannot find it on their site but found it at target website.
Target:KidKusion Hearth Kushion - Brown

The factory shelf is the junky paper board as I call it and it does not take much water at all to ruin it. Spilling a drink on it could ruin that stuff.
SamKitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamKitz View Post

The factory shelf is the junky paper board as I call it and it does not take much water at all to ruin it. Spilling a drink on it could ruin that stuff.
No kidding about that. One of my daughters was doing a project and put a piece of masking tape on a drawer. The tape peeled off the "cherry" veneer when she ripped off the tape.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #25

I just had the same issue of rotted MDF on the front and rear bunk end shelves. I used 3/4 sandply (cabinet grade plywood) and Formica'd the top. Now any water that leaks in or drips off the tent ends when closing up in the rain won't destroy anything.
tacoma7829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:45 AM   #26

Thanks for the replies. I have contacted FR and I am awaiting information on parts cost. They have sent my issue to the warranty department. I don't know if I am covered. My Roo is a 2008. So far, I have emailed FR pics of the damage and they replied within one day. Just waiting to hear the parts estimate. I have one more trip to Gatlinburg in two weeks before I put it up for the winter.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:00 AM   #27

Kathy Swope is who you want to get a hold of. I had better luck talking to her on the phone. I only say this because when you cover warranty for Roo and Shamrock for the entire country I'm sure her email gets full and easily forgotten about.
tacoma7829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:06 AM   #28

Kathy is the person I originally contacted and left a message. She called back the same day. I then replied through an email and she then replied that my issue was to be handled by Sheri in parts and Mike in warranty. I am just waiting to hear back as it has only been three business days.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #29

My Roo 233's front leaked after 5 or 6 years of ownership....Watch the hinge. Water will get in there when traveling in the rain. They do not do a good job caulking and sealing the screws that connect the hinge to the bunkend. Water will slowly seep up through the screw holes and then delaminate your bunk end and the inside luan plywood will get soft. I caught mine early. Both the front and the back did this... Replaced the luan plywood and found a way to dry out the fiberglass and used marine epoxy to fix the delamination. There are a number of people with pictures of their repair process. I did think that Rockwood fixed this problem. Rockwood did send me the new seal kit for my trailer. I did remove the bunkends and caulked everything. Fixed the screw problem but it still leaked. I fixed my leaks by adding an additional bulb seal the whole way around the bunkend. I recommend rplacing bulb seals every 5 years. They get brittle and lose their elastic qualities and allows for leaks. I have since moved onto a Prime Time Lacrosse and do not regret the move. Rockwood was very helpful and willing to help anytime I called. Greg Robbins (I believe was his name at customer service). He was always very helpful to me.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:58 PM   #30

This is the info Cathy sent me for the front bunk door for our 2008 Roo 23ss.

PART # 10-D-2003T -- BED/ FRAME ASSY - W/O MATT
COST $ 270.00
PART # 10-824 - CRATE FEE
COST $ 40.00
PLUS SHIPPING

Upgraded seal kit:

PART # 10-03685A -- REPLACEMENT SEAL KIT -- COST $ 102.66
PLUS SHIPPING

She does answer emails....It took about 1.5 weeks for her to get back to me.

I ended up getting the new seals for no cost after I spoke with warr. dept.
The door I ended up rebuilding myself. It was the interior panel that was damaged.

SamKitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:22 AM   #31

Did you replace the seals yourself? If so, how easy was it and what caulking did you use? How long ago was it when you got the seal kit and have it covered under warranty? I spoke to mike in the warranty dept and he didn't mention it being covered. Either way, my seals need to be replaced.