Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #1

2011 roo 17 Leaks

Hello..Just ordered my Roo 17' and from what I have been reading in these blogs is that this thing will eventually leak. Any info on seal kits that I could put on would be appreciated.
jeffro1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:11 PM   #2

Can't help you with your situation but wanted to Welcome you to the forums. There are many knowledgeable people here so I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
Site Team

what blogs are you reading about eventual leaks?
do you mean forums like this one?
people that post on forums like these, post about problems.
they don't post when they don't have problems.

the vast majority of hybrid owners, don't have leak issues. you don't see posts like, "Hey, i have a hybrid and i don't have any leaks!". i've never had leaks on my hybrid and i've never posted such a post.

they will only have eventual bunk leaks if the seals go bad.
the ones that leak from the beginning, usually are from bad factory installation.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #4

You need to take control of the situation yourself. Inspect the seals on a regular basis, clean out any debris that gets in there, and especially, double check that your "canvas" isn't caught between the seal and the bed when you close up, especially if it is raining. It is an easy thing to miss if you are not looking for it.
Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross) and now a cat too. Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
cmcct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:10 AM   #5

Hybrids don't leak any more than a Travel Trailer does, your just able to see it easier if it does occur. Pay attention and make regular inspections during your warranty period and if you do find something, take it back to the dealer and let them handle it. Otherwise ignore the hype and enjoy.
Mr.Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #6

Gotta be more positive my friend - we've had ours since May 10 - and have seen much, much rain and drove in torrential rain too - no leaks at all.

The only leaks I know of are the ones I take at night

As the previous poster suggested - common sense and verifying the seal to make sure it is not obstructed and you'll be fine.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #7

Bunk weight

I would like to know if there is a maximum bunk weight on the 2011 Roo. Our sales person said 300lbs but I can't imagine that's right.

Thanks.
longtimecampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimecampers View Post
I would like to know if there is a maximum bunk weight on the 2011 Roo. Our sales person said 300lbs but I can't imagine that's right.

Thanks.
Sheesh!

That sales guy is way off. Got to be embarrassing for him to be so wrong.

Anyway, the max weight limit on the hybrid bunks are more like 1,200lbs.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimecampers View Post

Thanks.
yes, 1000-1200lbs. is the standard for hybrid bunk ends.

by the way, since you're new, it's always advised to start a new thread instead of piggybacking on an unrelated thread.
that way you'll get responses to your particular question.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:59 AM   #10

I hate to be the dissenter but I have a 2011 Roo 19 that I constantly inspect and clean to the point that my DS thinks I have a disease. During Hurricane Irene a leak developed in the front bunk and has since continued to leak during any rain shower. It is just a drip but during Irene and Lee it was enough to have done considerable damage if I had not consistently checked on it. I have a pet pad and a pail on top of that and so far the water seems to be contained to that area and once the weather breaks I do let the bunk down to allow any moister to evaporate. I have contacted the dealer since it is still under warranty and will take it in after our last trip in October. Now I will be even worse as far as keeping an eye on it.
electrician549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #11

Thanks for the leak info. We just purchased a 2011 Roo 17 and will keep an eye on this situation. When you refer to the seal, is the the area surrounding where the bunk gets put up and is it on the outside or inside of the trailer or both?
longtimecampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #12
Site Team

most leaks happen through the seals when closed up. this can be a result of a number of things. canvas caught in the seals when closing up, bad/compressed seals, improperly installed seals and leaks from the above clearance lights.

water goes down so the hinge area is the most likely collection area.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #13

Bikendan pretty much nailed it. Mine has the outer white seal and than an inner black seal that the water is seeping through. The outer white seal is positioned so that it meets the camper across the screws that hold the frame to the door on. The particular screw the water seems to be leaking around looks no different than the other screws. I have checked the clearance lights they seem fine.
electrician549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:48 PM   #14
kwillmott

Our 2009 Rockwood Roo leaked so bad that our entire trailer is rotten and mouldy on the inside and ruined. Dealer says it's not their fault and they cannot do anything, manufacturer says if we pay to ship it to them in Indiana they will fix it in "good faith". How on earth can you fix something that sustained so much moisture damage and mould that you can't even step inside it. Stuck with payments and a rotten trailer that we used for 2 summers and now it's destroyed.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #15
kwillmott

be ware of the bunk doors. Our gutter was also not cut correctly, the dealer noticed that the manufacturer cut the gutter too short so the water was draining directly on the black foam seal that is attached to the door. I can see in the newer models there is no black foam aroudn the door. They probably noticed the flaws and made the change. This is where the water got in. Dealer documented this.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:18 PM   #16

I just finished (almost still some inside touchups) repairing my front bunk door. Had to replace the inside wood panel as the bottom of it was sucking up water from the angled door pocket. I replace it with 1/4" oak ply-wood.
Also had to replace the shelf that is in front of the bunk which was a PAIN!!!
Added the newer seal kit to it all.

Thanks for the heads up about the gutter above the door. I was looking at that when I was water testing with water hose and noticed the water was draining right on the corner of the door. Gonna add some camco guter spouts I have left over from a 4 pack I bought just to get 1 that I had broken lol.
SamKitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #17

A camper doesn't typically "rot" in two years without someone not taking the time to get an issue repaired. A camper with huge openings is an invitiation for a leak so you have to be diligant looking for the signs....
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:49 PM   #18

I had this misfortune of having a small tear in the roof of my previous TT and found out while sleeping with my wife that it could rain inside. Our new trailer has been great so far with no leaks found yet, but only four nights camped so far.

We think we had a low branch hit it that we didn't notice. Ever since then I go and check the roof frequently for leaks, and I tend to walk around once a day (when we are using it) to look for any areas of wear and tear.

When I picked up our trailer at the dealer the guy who did my orientation tour of the unit gave me a tube of roof sealer and said "here, keep this handy, check your roof at least twice per year, and put this on when you need it"

I don't know much about hybrids, but I assume they have similar areas to slideouts where soft and hard materials meet, this areas were a concern for me on my old TT and now on the 5er I see the same potential for disaster.

RV's in general seem to take a lot more attention to maintenance repair than the average house or vehicle, but how often do you tow your house up the road, and how often do you live in your vehicle? These are units of compromise and the biggest one is how much you have to pay attention to your trailer, on the other hand last night when I was up with my son, feeding him and sitting in the 5er in a nice park in Parry Sound, I realized that I can't possibly recreate this feeling in a hotel, I'm at home, and I'm on the road!
Old 09-19-2011, 01:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro1962 View Post
Hello..Just ordered my Roo 17' and from what I have been reading in these blogs is that this thing will eventually leak. Any info on seal kits that I could put on would be appreciated.

I have a Roo 19 that is 1.5 years old. I check the bunk ends everytime I setup and inspect inside and out and haven't found any signs of water leakage or damage. When you fold the ends up just make sure nothing is caught in the outside seal. No other leaks have been found anywhere else in the trailer either. I couldn't be happier with my Roo 19. Still looks and smells brand new. Only problem I have had is with the crappy Concertone radio.

2020 Flagstaff Super Lite 26FKBS
2018 Ford F-150 Super Crew Platinum

Previously owned a 2018 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
Aqualight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #20

Our front and rear bunks had evidence of leaks. It is a 2001 Roo 21 ft. We are third owner just buying it in May. The first thing we did was tear out the rotted front and rear bunk wood, styrofoam and replace with new material. The second thing we did was remove the old black seal and install the wider new seal that we bought from FR. The third thing we did was install new bunk end clamps. It does not leak at all when the bunk doors are open or closed in a parked situation. It does allow water inside if we drive in rain. It appears that water enters the bottom corner openings of the front bunk or the hinge. Not terribly bad last week we drove 3 hours in driving rain to our overnight site. The water was mainly in under the shelf behind the dinette couch or over the storage compartment which leads us to believe this old silver hinge and open space at the bottom of the bunk (front) is a culprit. We love our Roo in spite of the issue. It is our first TT after being tenters for 23 years. We admit parking it on a tilt with the rear end lower than the front end right now because the previous owners did not take care of the roof and we see issues of water damage on the ceiling also around the air conditioner. We are going to store it under cover this winter and plan to make this last a few years if we can in spite of the history of water issues.
casabelle is offline   Reply With Quote