Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #1

2011 Shamrock 21ss water heater

I am new to the camping scene and was wondering how I properly use the hot water heater on my Shamrock.They went over it in the walk-through but I was so overwhelmed I forgot alot of the stuff they went over.Any help would be appreciated.
dawg82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

brand and model of hw heater would help.

if its gas and electric it can be ran on gas or electric or both at the same time.
switch for gas would normally be inside camper.
switch for electric would normally be outside at hw heater after removing cover it would be lower left corner kinda hidden.

make sure hw heater is full and purged of air before turning gas or electric on.

TURBS
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Yours should be the same as mine, I'm guessing. Mine is a Suburban SW6DE, which means its 6-gallon Direct spark and Electric ignition and can be operated as Ron describes above. Here's a link to the manual. This is in our Files section, which can be useful if you are missing any manuals.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...p?do=file&id=4

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Outside switch

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130127_140652.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	23544

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

And here is another pic of the whole unit - just for perspective...

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 01-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

And here's my control panel. Its a really bad picture but it will give you an idea of what to look at for the inside switch for the water heater. That switch will turn on the heater to run on propane. As mentioned above, first make certain there is water in the tank regardless of heating off of propane or electric.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	23545  

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 03-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #7

Water heater

Does the hot water heater automatically fill up when water is hooked up to the camper and how long does it usually take for the water to get warm.If I were going to use propane as my source of heating I would manually have to light the pilot right.And yes mine is a suburban 6wde.
dawg82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg82 View Post
Does the hot water heater automatically fill up when water is hooked up to the camper and how long does it usually take for the water to get warm.If I were going to use propane as my source of heating I would manually have to light the pilot right.And yes mine is a suburban 6wde.
it's always suggested that when you first hookup to city water, you should open the hot side of your faucets. that way water will run thru the WH.
you should have the DSI feature for lighting the propane side of the WH. it's the toggle switch next to your tank level panel. you shouldn't have to manually light it. i've never heard any of the newer Roo/Shamrock hybrids that had WH's that needed to be manually lit.

it takes about 30 minutes for ours to get hot.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Dan's right. Also, make sure the HWH is not in winter bypass mode. The HWH will automatically fill IF you have the bypass set correctly - that is, the valves for the hot and cold water lines are inline (allowing water in and out of the HWH) and only the middle connecting line valve is in bypass. Test if there is water in the HWH by pulling on the release lever in the front of the HWH.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 03-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #10

If you are still in doubt, when you first go camping don't be afraid to ask a fellow camper if it is done right. Most campers are more then willing to help a fellow camper.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #11

Hi all
First trip out this year. New to camping and 23ss last year this time. Had the dealer winterized and we hooked up a hose and flushed system before we set out, then let system drain because we didn't want to haul the water 4 hours (truck we are using is loaded to max for job at destination).
Got to campground, filled with water, and set up. Turned on water heater and pump. Opened hot water and all it does is spurt. read post, shut valve between hot and cold, ( friendly neighbor who camps but can break an anvil, had opened it...we didn't know..glad you guys are here). Now...water pump won't shut off. Worried. It went 10 minutes and we shut it off.
Filter cartridge is not put back yet, they took it out, and we haven't put it back in.
We will shower at the campground showers, not sure about our system.
We have warm water. Just in spurts. sigh. We only learn the hard way! Thoughts????
RnR4Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:59 PM   #12

Sometimes there is a valve before the water pump. This is to suck from your water tank or from a line that enables you to suck out of a antifreeze jug for winterizing. Sounds like your pump is sucking air so I would check for this valve (if you have it) and turn it to suck from your water tank
Good Luck
Todd

BTW
In the future it is better to start your own thread than hijack someones. It becomes confusing trying to help 2 people in the same thread.
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 CC Outdoorsman
PrairieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:24 AM   #13

Yay and thank you! Dealer left antifreeze valve open. All is well. Glad to know you are all here!
RnR4Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:35 AM   #14

Glad to hear it was an easy fix.
Todd
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 CC Outdoorsman
PrairieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
expandable, hybrid, shamrock