Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #1

2012 21ssl now having problems!

Well, we love our 21ssl.....it hauls our toys and we've enjoyed it, but right now, it's taking a bit of effort to keep things running.

We've experienced the slide-out wall separating from the floor. Upon inspection, I noticed that only 2 screws were left holding the wall to the floor. The screws were mounted from an angle iron to an aluminum channel on the wall....nothing inside the channel to help hold it....just the thin aluminum.....no wonder it pulled out! I drilled the angle iron with double the holes and installed new screws. I'm hoping it will hold. I also had to add more screws to where the dinette bench screwed to the wall......it too had pulled loose and left gaping holes in the wall where the screws would dig their way around while we drove, unaware there was a problem.

This morning I happened to look underneath the unit and noticed that the angle iron holding the water tank is now bent. Once again, the engineer that designed this thing really dropped the ball. Two cross beams! No wonder it bent at the cross beam.....nearly 300lbs of water held by two cross beams. Sheesh!

ScottyNuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #2

Are you driving distances with fresh water tank full?

Also noticed your tires. Why do they look like winter tires from a car?
Old 09-13-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
TeresaInCAL

I had to have the same piece replaced (cross beam), but mine wasn't even a beam, it was a thin strap that had holes all along it! As in the kind of strapping you'd use to strap, your water heater to the wall in a house.
Or RV fix-it guy said he'd never seen anything so hoakie... We have a thick beam there now.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #4

Thumbs down

@ red suspenders......yep, we always have the tank full when we leave home.....we dry camp in the Rockies. The tires look aggressive because it's the off-road package.

@ Teresa.....Looks like I get to correct a "hoakie" Setup as well!!!
ScottyNuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #5

I had my sofa/sleeper wonder on a recent trip and it took out the dinnette seatback that was anchored to the wall. Holes were all wallowed out. I was able to fix it and also secured the sofa to the floor to keep it from moving again.

I also travel with my water tank full as we boon-dock in the mountains primarily. So I'll be checking my water tank holding beams for any movement or bending.

My 21ssl also has the "mudder" type tires on it. I think it gives it a "rugged" look.

Anychance I could get ya to take some pics of the wall seperation from the floor of your slide out? Please and Thank you. Would definitly like to take a look at mine and sorry for you having these issues. No doubt a bummer.
sirbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, 21ssl