Old 10-07-2014, 08:00 PM   #1

2012 rockwood roo 23ss delam issue

I bought this camper new and right away I noticed the siding on my front fold down bunk was swelling up a little. when I talked to my dealer they kind of pushed it off. should have pursued it more because now it is getting worse. I called my dealer back to find out now it is out of warranty. I am sure that I will have to replace them because now the back bunk is starting to do it too. after reading this forum I find out that this seems to be common and that I must have a leak some where. i looked inside and there are now signs of water damage. my questions are , where might this be leaking , why are both doors doing it , can you buy new doors and install them yourself , who do you contact to buy the doors and how much are they ? I love my camper and thought I was buying a pretty decent unit. now I am not so sure. 2 years old and having major issues. at this point I just want it fixed. if someone has any info on this or knows how to get a hold of someone at fr I would really appreciate it. thanks kfishman <><

Old 10-07-2014, 09:03 PM   #2
Take The Road Less Travld

First off I would have a serious conversation with the dealer about how you were blown off and this issue has now gotten worse because I personally think this was a pre-existing issue prior to your warrantee going out and you reported this to them so I believe they should fix it.

A lot of people here will buy parts directly from Forest River. Other will buy the parts needed from the dealer. Not being exactly sure what needs to be replaced, I would just direct you to those two places.

I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #3

Good Day,
I too have a Roo with the same issue as you. I recently contacted a Roo dealer and received a price quote for replacement of one bed panel. My 2009 232 will need both bunks replaced and the panel will run $846.65 (that includes shipping of the panel, seals, and framing ). My quote initially was for one panel, but I will need both so I expect the total installed to be around $3100.00. Not what we want to hear, but it's reality. For your own piece of mind determine who is the dealer closest to you, provide pictures and VIN and you should get a close ballpark figure. Good luck to you and yours, and keep smiling.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:36 AM   #4

I too have a leaking problem. I noticed it just about every time I open the bunks after a heavy rain. I mentioned this to the dealer and he acted surprised to hear this. I told him it's all over the internet that Roos are notorious for leaking. So I asked him if he could replace or add some additional rubber gasket/seal and make it one continuous piece. I did this right before I stored it for winter, so I don't know if this will work. If I would have known all the leaking problems with Roos, I don't think I would have boughten it. We were gonna buy the Jayco 21M, but I guess they only made them for a few years? Supposedly too heavy? I wonder if they also have problems with the bunks? Anybody know?
Old 10-11-2014, 02:46 AM   #5
Moderators' Assistant

all brands of hybrids have some that leak.
you are on a Forest River forum and the Roo is their best selling hybrid.
so, you won't hear about other brands of hybrids here.

but you're more than welcome to visit the hybrid forums at non-brand specific RV forums, like RV.net or Hybrid Explorer, where all brands are discussed.
you'll see that no brand of hybrid is exempt from some front bunk leak issues.

but places like this forum, often attract those with problems, not those that aren't having issues.

rarely do you see a thread started:"i've got NO leaks on my hybrid, isn't that great!"

i've been on most of the hybrid forums on the internet, for about 10 years now and i've seen many such issues on all the brands, including Jayco.
Jayco also had a huge black eye from the felt-backed roof material on many of their TTs and hybrids, for a number of years. it was a public relations nightmare for them.

just for info, we've had our Roo 23SS for nearly 8 years and we've NEVER had any bunk leak issues(knock on wood).
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:27 AM   #6

I did notice that the rubber gaskets that surround the bunk ends, there isn't much there as far as thickness and why it's not one continuous piece, I'll never understand. Forest River has to know it a design flaw considering how many problems people are having with them. I do like the idea of the PVC, but I don't know if it'll work on mine, 2014 23IKK.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:08 AM   #7

I realize that all campers of all makes have there problems. the issue here is the drop bunks on my camper and others like mine. why? I see no place where water is coming in. from what I read on this forum it seems to happen early on. my camper is 2 yrs. old and others I read about are pretty new as well. this is not a cheap fix.so do I put the money in my camper only to have it happen again in a couple of years? no one seems to have any answers. how about forest river? you can,t seem to get ahold of them on this issue.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Forest River has to know it a design flaw considering how many problems people are having with them.
We don't really know if many people are having problems. We only know the folks on this forum, which tends to attract people with problems. As Bikendan said, he's never had a problem in 8 years. I haven't had a problem in 3 years. Others on this forum haven't had problems. We don't really know the percentage of people who've had a problem.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #9

is not part ( of the purpose ) of a forum, to talk about problems and issues you have with your camper. to find answers, to learn to fix , or what it takes to fix. it is great that some people don't have this issue . I don't know what the bunk is made of , but I do know it swells up and deteriorates on more than just my camper . it has been a problem for years. I bought this camper with a year warranty. I know where I fall with all of this. $$$. and I know how it all works . too bad fr doesn't help out a little bit on this issue. or even help us out with some insight on the problem.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:47 PM   #10

Quote:
s not part ( of the purpose ) of a forum, to talk about problems and issues you have with your camper. to find answers, to learn to fix , or what it takes to fix. it is great that some people don't have this issue . I don't know what the bunk is made of , but I do know it swells up and deteriorates on more than just my camper . it has been a problem for years. I bought this camper with a year warranty. I know where I fall with all of this. $$$. and I know how it all works . too bad fr doesn't help out a little bit on this issue. or even help us out with some insight on the problem.
I don't disagree with this.

My only point was that you can't broad-brush all FR hybrids based on what you see on this forum. If we did that, then we'd believe that every TT out there has furnace, water heater, AC and tire problems too.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, 23ss, rockwood, rockwood roo, roo