Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #1

2012 Roo 23SS - Cold weather camping

Hi all-
First time to the forum. Looking forward to getting some great information here.

The wife, me, and our 3 small kids are heading to Helen, GA for the Thanksgiving weekend for some camping in the 2012 Roo 23SS. It does have heated mattresses (never used) and the bottom is NOT insulated for winter camping. The temps are going to drop down to 21 degrees the 1st night, 27 degrees the 2nd night, and 28 degrees the last night. We will have the furnace running with 2 full propane tanks, and 2 electric space heaters, as well as the heated mattresses. I've never camped in this type of cold weather before.....are we going to be comfortable?

Assuming we are able to survive in somewhat relative comfort, then my worries switch over to what concerns I should have with the camper itself. I plan to disconnect the water each night and take pressure off the lines, but don't plan on draining the lines. The hot water heater will be on, so no worries about water in it freezing. We'll be on full hookups, so I'll drain grey and black water out each night as best as I can.

Am I crazy for going in these temps? Any help is appreciated. Thx!
bcpfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:59 AM   #2

Use the space heaters as they will reduce your gas usage. Plug them directly to site pole if possible. Turn on the mattresses and leave a vent open for ventilation

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #3

I think your plan to shut off the water and open the low point drain (with the faucets open) should take care of any freezing concerns. Just remember that the water heater is on - so if you run the hot water, it may drain unless you have the valves shut. That would zap your element if you are heating the water with electric.

We camped with temps in the low 30's. That was when we discovered how great those heated matresses are. They don't feel hot, but once you are in bed, they really work well. I think you should stay warm, but the major issue is going to be condensation on the tent ends. We lowered the thermostat down to about 60 at night to reduce the condensation. Leaving the ends cracked open and a roof vent open to pull air through will also help. Pop-up Gizmos (pugs) would be a big help as well if you have them - we don't. They cover the tops of the tents and will provide some insulating value to reduce condensation.

Should be a fun trip. I think the Roo should stay comfortable even in those temps. We're jealous as we sit here looking at our Roo with 6" of snow on it...

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #4

You will be in my neck of the woods! Are you going to be at Unicoi State Park in Helen?

I have a Roo 183L. I have camped in 25 degrees in it many times.

We have the heated mattresses (which are sweet). Turn them on an hour or so before bed and they will be warmed up. When you feel the mattress, it won't feel hot, but once you get in bed it warms up great.

I added the electric heating element to my A/C unit and it was enough to keep me toasty, so you will be great with a space heater. I always set my gas heat below where I want the heat, just as a back up; but it never comes on with the electric heater running.

I have tank heaters on my Roo, so I always turn them on and my hot water heater and no worries with any H2O freezing.

The Pop Up Gizmos seem to help also, but I have camped in 25 degrees before without them and had no problems.

Have a blast!

2013 Rockwood Roo 183L
2012 Toyota Tundra CrewMax
olwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
Site Team

you haven't mentioned if you know about Popup Gizmos and Reflectix.
these are almost essential for cold weather camping.

Bob at PUGs is having a Black Friday sale on PUGs and their Reflectix-style bunk liners.

hope you've read about these here or at other Hybrid forums.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #6

I too have camped in low twenties with no issues. I also had the heat strip added to the ac unit to help airflow in my popup. Ran one additional heater and the furnance and was just fine. Your cooler may freeze if left out side...

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:36 AM   #7

Last winter we weathered lows in the teens without issue or damage. I didn't expect it to get lower than the upper 20s, but the forecast was wrong. Being that we were in southern AZ, the daytime highs were still well above freezing.

My setup included: space blankets over the bunkends (fake PUGs), heated mattresses (work great), tank heaters, furnace, 1500w elect heater, and 4 large dogs. I (obviously) disconnected the water supply hose at night, but did not drain the holding tanks.

We kept comfortable temps inside the camper during the nights, but didn't INTEND to push the limits with an un-winterized unit. It proved that we could weather a pretty cold night, so upper 20s should not be an issue so long as the temps don't remain that low for too long of a stretch.
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #8

We have camped in the teens with our roo.

1) Set two 1500 Watt Heaters at each of the bunks, we have a 17 so we put it on the tv stand and on the cutting board by the sink.
2) Run the Mattress Heaters (We have had the breaker kick when the space heaters and the mattress heaters are on so just be aware)
3) Set a low temp threshold on the Furnace, when the Space Heaters can not keep up, this will take it to a minimum temp. We set at 54 cause we use sleeping bags.
4) crack the bunk end windows and we also do the fan in the bath just a crack. This draws almost all of the moisture out of the camper and you do not have rain in the morning over your head coming from the ceiling of the canvas.
5) If you have full hook ups.... We keep the water on and run the bathroom sink at a very slow rate. It has always prevented freezing, that is how we do it.
6) If you do not have full hook ups. If you keep the inside temp of the camper high enough, then I turn off the water, unhook the hose, and store the hose in a plastic bag in the camper when not in use.

We enjoy using the camper in the winter and people always ask us about having the hybrid. We just remind ourselves that the hybrid has the open camping Pop Up feel that we love, but with perks of having a travel trailer.
depo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, 23ss, camping, roo