Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2015, 11:57 AM   #1

2012 Roo Bunk Replacement...

Well my new (to me) 2012 Roo 233s had the front bunk upper tent come loose in a storm and let in a bunch of water. The bunk door itself is also showing water damage, so it looks like its time to replace the front bunk door. Forest River recommends completely replacing the bunk with a new assembly, so I have one on order. Has anyone out there replaced one of these? They say the bunk/tent assembly unscrews and is not to bad to replace. I have searched previous threads, but I haven't seen anything on replacing a 2012 with one that is supposed to have the improved, modern style. Any one done this before?

Thanks
Jetsrforkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:15 PM   #2

very easy and quick replacement. loosen all the retaining screws for the canvas or snaps which ever. lift up the guard between the trailer wall and bunk. And while supporting the door remove the hinge screws. If it has cable supports remove trailer end. Reverse procedure.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:02 PM   #3

How much was the door if you don't mind me asking? And be sure to make sure the door is not damaged before you take it off the lot

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
urocav2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:21 PM   #4

They said they will give it to me for dealer pricing (urocav2001 check your p.m.), so it wasn't as bad as I had expected. I don't know if everyone will get that price so I won't post it here.

When I replace the door, does the entire thing unscrew as a complete unit, or do I have to seal it up with sealant, or install a separate seal? Anyone have any links to someone doing this before?
Old 06-23-2015, 01:45 PM   #5

Forest River sent us both end doors for our 2010 with the tape & seals. This was a year ago so past our warranty. We just had to pay the cost of shipping. Obviously Forest a River had lots of issues with bunk ends. Our dealer tried to charge us $400 each to replace the doors with seconds. Our dealer is no longer in business & since Forest River was so helpful we have since traded in our "like new" Shamrock for another Forest River product. Replacing the two doors with seals & decals took a full day. Ours was an older style though so not sure if yours will be more difficult.
Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:06 AM   #6

Maris! I just ordered a front bunk door for a 2010 183. $740 we are in Canada. But? They gave you the doors? Not being under warranty? The dealership here is charging us? Not sure what freight would cost to Ontario but $ 740 is just for the part! Not to put it in! Feeling like I'm being taken!
Zwicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:27 AM   #7

Wow free, thats better than what I got. Does anyone know what is different with the new style seals? Are they better than the old ones?
Old 06-24-2015, 10:30 AM   #8

Wicker We are in Ontario as well. The difference may be that the trailer is "new to you". We did buy our Shamrock new in 2010. As I said before, the dealer told us that they could replace the doors with seconds they had in stock for $800. We contacted Forest River directly with pictures of the doors and they offered to send them to us. Actually, I think they had to send them to a business. We found a private shipper & I think it cost us about $200. for the shipping. I can't remember who we dealt with & all the paper work went when we traded our Shamrock in. We did love that trailer & would have been perfect for camping with a family. Someone on this site could tell you who to contact at Forest River.
Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:52 AM   #9

Maris. Sorry the $740 was shipping and taxes in. So $540 xtra. I'll have to call them. But your probably right about being the only owner.
Zwicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:59 AM   #10
Canadian Member

Zwicker, I had to replace both bunk doors on my previous 2010 Roo 23SS back in 2012. I was the 2nd owner so I had no warranty. FR agreed to send new door cores (no metal trim or hinge) to McKenzie RV Trailers in Gormely at no cost. I just had to pay for McKenzie's labor to take the metal trim pieces and hinges off the old doors and put them on the new cores and then install the doors. FR wouldn't ship directly to me.

The new doors were better than the originals but not perfect. I found that replacing the white pinch welt trim was critical to keeping a good seal.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, replacement, roo