Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #1

2013 233s - NEW - Walk Thru - **SURPRISES**

Made the trip to RVW to sign the papers and do my walk-thru on my new Roo 233s. I drove into 7 inches of snow/ice and hit four hours of snow on the way back to MN. The weather definitely confirmed my apprehension of hooking it up and taking home this time of year.

The walk thru went smooth. There was only one other name on the board for pick up. I was told that this might have been the slowest day of the year there as during the peak months they can do up to 30 of these on those days. Although there was only one other closing the tech sure seemed interested in moving things along faster than I wanted. There definitely was part of that (WHOAH/WOW) factor I was fighting to keep in check too.

I didnt bring a copy of the PDI list that Triguy posted on here. I printed out just before leaving and the toner cartridge was....empty. I emailed a copy to my phone.

I decided to let the tech do his thing and ask questions/slow things down when I feel I needed to. Overall, He did a good job. All of the information was very familiar from the reading I had done on this forum and the walk thru videos posted on YouTube by RVW. I felt like I already knew this camper in and out from all the work I had put in. You really can learn quite a bit about these things and this forum is an integral part of that learning process.

After finishing our breviated walk thru we were told that we needed to hurry along as they needed to move another camper out of the bay that was behind ours. We could look thru the camper outside...brr. That turned out to get delayed. The tech then came back and took nearly another 30 minutes to further go thru items with us.

**SURPRISES**
A couple of itmes we were not expecting. We were told by the salesman that even though the brochure on the Rockwood website says LED's are standard on Roo's ours would not have them. We were pleasnantly surprised when it turned out our 233s DOES have them. Pfew! That will save me $350 as I wont have to mod them out for all of the dry camping we will be doing.

Second surprise was the battery shut off. Turns out I will not have to install one of those. Bonus. I'm not sure if all 2013's come with that or not but I was thrilled to see it.

I looked at those bed ends real closely and am still not sure what to think. I know Dan (bikendan) is sold on them but I'll try to keep an open mind. I do love the idea of them being permanently fixed.

The dry weight is 4497 which is significantly higher than the 4093 listed on the RVW website. That was with no propane, no WDH hitch and no cargo. The mfg date listed was 10/12/12. I was surprised RVW having campers delivered in mid October. Wow. I dont think any dealers are doing that in MN in October.

I will be picking up the camper and bringing home the last week of March. The whole ride home I couldnt stop gushing about the LED's. Buddy of mine who came along said it was great that I gushed about the LED's and didnt care a bit about the free ipad mini RVW gave for buying a camper on the lot. I'll be using my LED's all the time and take self imposed breaks from tech on our trips as we do now as a family. The LED's mean money in my pocket and more juice in that battery!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	233s.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	22569  

https://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
Trailer Trash

Did you get your new rig from RVW - RV World in Anoka/Ramsey hwy 10?
I go by all the RV dealers in that area frequently on my way to Riverdale in Coon Rapids.

I learned the hard way - don't let a dealer rush you through a PDI. IF they try, tell them you will not take delivery or sign paperwork. Sales manager will have a cow!!!. You will then have all the time in the world. Remember the golden rule - you have the gold, you are the customer, you make the rules. You sign off on delivery paperwork AFTER your pre-delivery inspection is complete to YOUR satisfaction. Same drill goes for buying a car, truck, house, etc.

When you threaten to kill the contract/deal due to PDI issues, you magically move to the head of the class. Sales manager talks to service manager. Service manager talks to service techs. Service techs deliver what you need on a silver platter pronto. PDI gets complete, you then go into business office and close the deal. Works everytime. I would not advise being a prick about this tried and true method. Simply keep this info in your back pocket and use it if and when you need to.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #3

Booo. My 2013 that I picked up in the spring time didn't come with the LED's. But seeing that we rarely boondock it won't be a problem. I notice from your picture that they've changed the exterior graphic a bit too. Di you have RVW add the grab bar by the door or did that come from the factory? Wasn't an option on ours but an easy add-on at home.

Did RVW give you a discount for carrying their advertisement decal? ;-)

Enjoy your new trailer!!! I know we had a blast in ours this past summer and am really looking forward to next year!
BeagleIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #4

My 2013 doesn't have the led 's either. I do like the new graphic, ours has the old one as well.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleIL View Post
Booo. My 2013 that I picked up in the spring time didn't come with the LED's. But seeing that we rarely boondock it won't be a problem. I notice from your picture that they've changed the exterior graphic a bit too. Di you have RVW add the grab bar by the door or did that come from the factory? Wasn't an option on ours but an easy add-on at home.

Did RVW give you a discount for carrying their advertisement decal? ;-)

Enjoy your new trailer!!! I know we had a blast in ours this past summer and am really looking forward to next year!
I had them add on the grab bar. Minimal cost. Something like $40. I figured if the job turned into 15 min into 2 hour jobs it was worth it.

We will be doing almost all dry/boondocking so the LED's were a necessity.

As for that graphic I didnt notice it until I got home and showed the co-pilot some pictures. She pointed it out to me and I let it be known I would be removing it first time I get the chance. "Oh leave it on!" was her reply.

Thanks for the good words. I have a handful of outings on the calendar already. We will be spending a night at Indian Lake State Park when we pick it up in March (a couple miles from RVW). We will use that night to go over everything and have RVW fix items needing attention the next morning. They were totally cool with that and have done that before.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #6

I've only had 2 problems with our 233S since getting it last spring.

First, the DVD player went haywire while we out on our longest trip of the year. I emailed FR and had a replacement as soon as we got back. 15 minutes to swap it out and all good.

Second, on the same trip the wood panel on the fridge door dropped. I believe that part of this was due to the rough roads we encountered in the Upper Peninsula of MI. Lots of single lane gravel/dirt roads. And then secondly the nature of having that panel just slide into slots without and securing hardware. I was able to use a very slim double sided tape to hold it in. It isn't going anywhere now. But the bigger problem was when it dropped out of the door and snapped off the battery disconnect switch. Once again, the email to FR had a replacement out to me without any questions. I replaced it myself and everything is good. I opted to do the work myself rather than travel 40 miles both ways to my dealer. Saved on the gas and it really only took another 15 minutes to replace it.

Have a Happy/Safe New Year!
BeagleIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKapa View Post
My 2013 doesn't have the led 's either. I do like the new graphic, ours has the old one as well.
Thats too bad on the LEDs. Mine walked off the assembly line in mid October...when did yours? The 2013 brochure clearly states they are standard, however, the salesman (over the phone) convinced me that they were NOT in this camper. During the walk thru when the tech told me they were LEDs I didnt believe him so we popped open an overhead light above the sink and hot diggety if that wasnt an LED. I'm sure I will start hearing about the 2014's and be a little bummed that mine are missing what theirs have. Its all part of progress.

What do other 2013 graphics look like? Another thing I'm amazed they change mid year.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
Did you get your new rig from RVW - RV World in Anoka/Ramsey hwy 10?
I go by all the RV dealers in that area frequently on my way to Riverdale in Coon Rapids.

I learned the hard way - don't let a dealer rush you through a PDI. IF they try, tell them you will not take delivery or sign paperwork. Sales manager will have a cow!!!. You will then have all the time in the world. Remember the golden rule - you have the gold, you are the customer, you make the rules. You sign off on delivery paperwork AFTER your pre-delivery inspection is complete to YOUR satisfaction. Same drill goes for buying a car, truck, house, etc.

When you threaten to kill the contract/deal due to PDI issues, you magically move to the head of the class. Sales manager talks to service manager. Service manager talks to service techs. Service techs deliver what you need on a silver platter pronto. PDI gets complete, you then go into business office and close the deal. Works everytime. I would not advise being a prick about this tried and true method. Simply keep this info in your back pocket and use it if and when you need to.
Good information. We (buyers) never should forget that "we" are in charge. How did you learn the hardway? Sounds like a good story there.

I never really felt like things were out of my control and everytime I let it be known that I felt like things were moving too fast they slowed down and gave me more time. This is including the last time when I was about to sign papers and was asked how things went and was told that I could take more time or do a whole new walk thru when I pick it up in March. RVW went out of its way to make sure I felt good about this and got the time to do what I needed to do to feel right. Of course this was the day after a snow storm and there were only 2 closings.

FYI...RVW in Ohio. RV Wholesalers. I know exactly where those other camper places are that you are talking about. There sure are tons of RV places out on Hwy 10! We actually stopped at Pleasureland in Ramsey & Hilltop Trailers in Fridley and walked thru a couple other models that are the equivalent of the 233s. One was a Palomino Stampede 21RGS..a Solaire 213x...and a Jayco X23F. We went with our model w/o ever seeing it. The co-pilot really liked the slide out dinette from all the pictures I had shown her of other Roo 233s. Our purchase decision was made by including the chatter/discussion from others in this forum. It wasnt all good either.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMovies View Post

I looked at those bed ends real closely and am still not sure what to think. I know Dan (bikendan) is sold on them but I'll try to keep an open mind. I do love the idea of them being permanently fixed.

The dry weight is 4497 which is significantly higher than the 4093 listed on the RVW website. That was with no propane, no WDH hitch and no cargo. The mfg date listed was 10/12/12.
well, i didn't say i was sold on them and i do think that the addition of outside flaps would be helpful, especially if the install had some missed attachment spots. i was only trying to show that it's a better system than i had been led to believe. remember, i have the old-style bungee system which has lots of places for bugs and water to get in. so this new system is way more secure and tighter than mine, in comparison.
based on some of the complaints i'd read, i found it to be a way better system than had been reported.
i think the main issue is quality control at the factory, than faulty design.

the 400lbs. difference between "dry" and actual is pretty standard for hybrids. my 23SS was almost exactly 400lbs. over the "dry" also. don't forget that it also doesn't include the battery.
that's why many of us are so insistent on not using fictional "dry" weights to go by.
it's even a bigger factor in the smaller trailers, like 17' and smaller, since they have very low cargo capacities that don't factor in the "400lbs." or so extra weight of so-called "options" that nearly every trailer has.
this is especially true with trailers that are targeted for those with minivans or SUV's with the standard 3500lbs. tow capacity. nearly all of these trailers have poor cargo capacities that get even lower after adding the weight of the "options". some end up with an actual cargo capacity of 100lbs.
the Vibe 6503 and 6504 come to mind, since both have CCC of around 500lbs.
subtract 400lbs. of "options" and you'll have 100lbs. of cargo capacity.

glad you got some good surprises, especially the LED's. i think the disconnect switch has been standard for awhile.
you never know when they will make these changes. there's no way of knowing which part of the production year that manufacturers will do this type of upgrade or change. they could even stop making a particular floorplan, mid-year.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Thats too bad on the LEDs. Mine walked off the assembly line in mid October...when did yours? The 2013 brochure clearly states they are standard, however, the salesman (over the phone) convinced me that they were NOT in this camper. During the walk thru when the tech told me they were LEDs I didnt believe him so we popped open an overhead light above the sink and hot diggety if that wasnt an LED. I'm sure I will start hearing about the 2014's and be a little bummed that mine are missing what theirs have. Its all part of progress.

What do other 2013 graphics look like? Another thing I'm amazed they change mid year.
Ours was made within the first few weeks after they rolled over to 2013 in early spring. Its really a 2012 with a 2013 serial number because there were no changes. Our graphics are the same as they have been for a few years. Not too different, just different font.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
well, i didn't say i was sold on them and i do think that the addition of outside flaps would be helpful, especially if the install had some missed attachment spots. only trying to show that it's a better system than i had been led to believe. remember, i have the old-style bungee system which has lots of places for bugs and water to get in. so this new system is way more secure and tighter than mine, in comparison.
based on some of the complaints i'd read, i found it to be a way better system than had been reported.
i think the main issue is quality control at the factory, than faulty design.

the 400lbs. difference between "dry" and actual is pretty standard for hybrids. my 23SS was almost exactly 400lbs. over the "dry" also. don't forget that it also doesn't include the battery.
that's why many of us are so insistent on not using fictional "dry" weights to go by.
it's even a bigger factor in the smaller trailers, like 17' and smaller, since they have very low cargo capacities that don't factor in the "400lbs." or so extra weight of so-called "options" that nearly every trailer has.
this is especially true with trailers that are targeted for those with minivans or SUV's with the standard 3500lbs. tow capacity. nearly all of these trailers have poor cargo capacities that get even lower after adding the weight of the "options". some end up with an actual cargo capacity of 100lbs.
the Vibe 6503 and 6504 come to mind, since both have CCC of around 500lbs.
subtract 400lbs. of "options" and you'll have 100lbs. of cargo capacity.

glad you got some good surprises, especially the LED's. i think the disconnect switch has been standard for awhile.
you never know when they will make these changes. there's no way of knowing which part of the production year that manufacturers will do this type of upgrade or change. they could even stop making a particular floorplan, mid-year.
I guess I characterized your words as tacit support for the new bed attachment system. Sorry about that. I do think that if it works out well its going to be fantastic at keeping bugs outside and objects (including kids) inside as you have mentioned. I've had both happen with the pop up. Being awoken to my son screaming (he was 6), in the middle of the night as he hangs half inside and half outside the pop up..holding onto the bed for dear life is a memory I dont want to forget or ever repeat (we forgot to attach the bungees on that side of the camper. That non flap system, if operable, would seem to be better at getting bunks closed too as it would have nothing working as an obstruction or needing to be stuffed inside as you close the bunk end. I paid close attention to that as I closed the bunk ends a few times during the walk thru. Time will tell. I find it hard to believe that its a catastophic failure across the board as wouldnt this forum be filled with substantially more instances?!

The one criticism I have of RVW (and possibly other dealers) is that they could certainly do a little more work at putting acutal info for a camper on the website. Afterall, I purchased a camper that was sitting on their lot. They had taken pictures of it for the website and they could have just as easily taken a picture of the sticker showing actual dry weight rather than some generic number that seems almost plucked from the air. They also could have included other info such as LED's or made it available to the salesman. Not a huge complaint but definitely something that wouldnt take much change on their part to make available better info.

In my search for a hybrid I found out about floor plans being discontinued mid year. Palomino made a Stampede S-23BH for 2013 supposedly. Two beds (drop down) and two permanent bunks. Was the first choice around this house but I found out that it was discontinued. So...alas...we settled on the 233s. No huge loss...I am happy.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #12

Quote:

When I picked up my 2013 Shamrock 233s at the beginning of this month, they tried to tell me that LEDs didn't come with it; however, I pointed out that the brochure said otherwise so they were forced to swap out the bulbs for LEDs. I'll get the camper back (with LEDs and other tweaks) next week!
gglplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gglplex View Post
When I picked up my 2013 Shamrock 233s at the beginning of this month, they tried to tell me that LEDs didn't come with it; however, I pointed out that the brochure said otherwise so they were forced to swap out the bulbs for LEDs. I'll get the camper back (with LEDs and other tweaks) next week!
Nice job twisting their arms to get that done. Remind me to keep my arms out your path. I like them in their current condition! I’d be curious to know what the build date is on your camper. My camper gets delivered on Sunday and I’m more than a little curious if the bunk fan/lights have LED’s. I’m thinking not and have replacements picked out in the event that is the case.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #14

I picked up my Roo 23ss Early February, 2013. When looking at the various Roos on the lot I noticed that some units had leds while other units did not. I even pointed this out to my sales person as she hasn't noticed before. We obviously chose one with the LEDs.

I'd think you will end up with the LEDs....but what do I know?!?

Camped for 12 nights in 2015 - too many cancellations
Camped for 25 nights in 2014!
Camped for 24 nights in 2013!
RedStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #15

I already know that I have LED’s minus the light over the stove. I was told by the salesman that my unit did not come with LED’s even though the brochure said it would. My build date was 10/17/12. I went to an RV show in February and saw a 233s with a build date of 9/7/12 that did NOT have LED’s. When I went thru the camper in December the man doing the walk thru told me that it has LED’s. We opened up some of the lights and verified. I did not take a look at the bunk fan/lights though. That also gets me thinking about the running lights. Hmmm.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #16
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleIL View Post
I've only had 2 problems with our 233S since getting it last spring.

First, the DVD player went haywire while we out on our longest trip of the year. I emailed FR and had a replacement as soon as we got back. 15 minutes to swap it out and all good.

Second, on the same trip the wood panel on the fridge door dropped. I believe that part of this was due to the rough roads we encountered in the Upper Peninsula of MI. Lots of single lane gravel/dirt roads. And then secondly the nature of having that panel just slide into slots without and securing hardware. I was able to use a very slim double sided tape to hold it in. It isn't going anywhere now. But the bigger problem was when it dropped out of the door and snapped off the battery disconnect switch. Once again, the email to FR had a replacement out to me without any questions. I replaced it myself and everything is good. I opted to do the work myself rather than travel 40 miles both ways to my dealer. Saved on the gas and it really only took another 15 minutes to replace it.

Have a Happy/Safe New Year!
Had the same problem twice with the fridge door panel and it severed my battery disconnect too. Dealer took care of it though and it hasn't fallen off since.
Local Ohio CGs - West Branch SP
4kmprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421 View Post

Nice job twisting their arms to get that done. Remind me to keep my arms out your path. I like them in their current condition! I’d be curious to know what the build date is on your camper. My camper gets delivered on Sunday and I’m more than a little curious if the bunk fan/lights have LED’s. I’m thinking not and have replacements picked out in the event that is the case.
Not sure how to find out build date.
gglplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gglplex View Post
Not sure how to find out build date.
It is on the factory sticker - street side front, with the weight ratings and tire info.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #19

My 2014 Roo 183 arrived this week with LED interior lights. They are freaky BRIGHT. The "Porch" light appears to be incandescent, though. I forgot to look at the running lights, but they might be incandescent, too.
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, 233, 233s, led, roo