Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #1

2013 23IKSS Battery Disconnect

New to the forum and have been reading about other fellow camper's' experiences with the 23IKSS. We just bought ours in april , 2013. Interesting to see comments about the location of the battery disconnect. When I mentioned this being an odd location to our salesman, he stated that it shouldn't be an issue as you only need to use the disconnect when the camper is stored for a month or longer. After several dead batteries in less than that time, I knew how wrong he was. I was later told by him that most people just pull the lead off of the battery, or I'd have to climb over the kitchen island to reach the disconnect. Does anyone know how to request the RV dealer or Forest River to perform the disconnect relocation that was mentioned in other posts? Appears it was relocated on the 2014MY units.
mwalter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:08 AM   #2

The battery disconnect kills power to almost everything - but one slide out motor will still operate so you can bring the slide out in after you push the knob in. The slide motor doesn't have any draw unless its running, so the battery will not be drained while in the trailer is in storage. It was a strange place to put it, but they did leave you a way to use the switch without having to climb over the island.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:00 AM   #3

Installing a battery disconnect near the battery at the tongue would be easier than relocating the current one.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s, PI HW30-C, Equalizer 10k 4 way hitch,
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:39 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlygibbs View Post
Installing a battery disconnect near the battery at the tongue would be easier than relocating the current one.
X2
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

X3

I think I would do it anyway. I like to have it outside the trailer (just what I'm used to)...

The picture below will allow you to isolate and that is it. This works well for a 12-volt battery or a bank of two 6-volt batteries.

Some disconnects allow more functionality. The second picture shows a disconnect that allows you to switch between batteries, use both batteries or disconnect all. This works well with two 12-volt batteries or two banks with each bank containing two 6-volts. There are several combinations.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #6

Thanks for the feedback. I'll check tonight to see if one of the slides still operates. I also like the idea of installing the battery selector / disconnect externally up by the trailer tongue / battery. I may do that anyways.
mwalter2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, battery, battery disconnect