Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #1

2013 Roo 183 Bunk seals

We're new to this forum but have been on HYX for some time now. We've had our 2013 Roo 183 for a couple of months, and on the last trip I noticed the bunk seals along the top of the opening were somewhat misshapen. Either the foam backed adhesive had slipped out of position, or they were installed that way and I just hadn't noticed it before. I tried worrying them back into position but the adhesive is really strong and I was afraid of tearing the foam backing and then I would have real problems. At the moment they are not leaking and I am taking it to the dealer after Labor Day to see what they say. Along these lines I have a few questions:
1) Has anyone else experienced the bunk seal deformage or "slippage" shown in the photo album Forest River Forums - indybp57's Album: Roo 183 bunk seals and if so what was done about it?
2) What product are others using for the "90 day seal maintenance" requirement in the owners manual. I found some silicon based Liquid Wrench for RVs at Walmart, but was thinking something like Armor-All would be pretty good for this.
3) How do the new Roos compare to other manufacturers when it comes to bunk leak issues? I will say I was rather nauseous when I first saw all the threads on this topic at this forum. Some of the other manufacturers seem to have put more forethought into their seal strategy, i.e. recessed bunk doors, gutters over the top, etc. The people at FR appear to have gotten to the end of the Roo design and said "Oh crap, we better stick some seals on the bunk doors."
Comments and suggestions are appreciated.
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #2

I'm in a fight with FR over water leakage they seam to talk the talk but yet to walk. Good luck.
2014 Rain Days = 3 Snow Days = 0
patkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
Site Team

all brands of hybrids have had leakage issues, in all the model years.
never seen at least one complaint for every brand and every year they made them.
a lot of it is due to poor factory installation, since they get paid piece rate on these trailers.
take it in and have the dealer install new seals.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #4

Just got our new roo my guess is the factory put them on wrong ours is pretty good
Roo Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #5

The key to them being correct is do they leak!!!!! When it rains.
2014 Rain Days = 3 Snow Days = 0
patkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by patkins View Post
The key to them being correct is do they leak!!!!! When it rains.
They aren't leaking, but in spots the sealing surface is only about half what it should be because the seal extends into the bunk cavity where there is nothing to seal against. There are also low spots where water can pool. It is a problem waiting to happen. I agree it probably happened at the factory since the adhesive is too strong to manipulate.
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #7

Being as I just got my camper yes I am new the the Roo's, but I also spent a year going over all manufacturers product, no one has the perfect system as bikendan noted, the key is to keep on it, get the dealer to re-install them to 100% and do a leak check after the fact, I have to respect the dealer I bought mine from, he really went over all the seals on the Roo with me, he showed me where his tech re-sealed where the factory failed to impress, we went up on the roof to look at all the seals for the A/C, roof vents etc. we looked over all the caulking, I stocked up on the products needed to re-seal down the road, in a nutshell my understanding is get to know your seals all around maintain them and leak check with a hose spring and fall at a minimum and enjoy.
Roo Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
kwillmott

Well as a 2009 Roo owner with a lot of problems with the bunk seals and leakage I would say you need to really watch them or take it back to your dealer for something to prevent a possible leak. I had 2 bunk doors leak due to faulty seals and the gutters that were not cut long enough so that it allowed the water to run right along the black foam and over time the water was too much and flooded the trailer. It is a mouldy water damaged mess that we're still trying to deal with after 1 year of it happening.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
kwillmott

There is so much information on the internet about these hybrids that leak mainly because of the bunk ends and how they are designed. Ours also shows signs of being crooked and some of the door latches were so loose, we had also shown this to the dealer as well. We had all 3 doors replaced and 2 of them came back not even sitting flush to the outer wall at the bottom corners. It is just how they are designed and installed, the work is just done too quickly and it comes down to workmanship and quality....how can 3 doors be replaced yet they are all sitting differently? We are even dealing with the mouldy pieces being put back into our trailer when it was supposed to be fixed.