Old 01-05-2013, 11:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeytownmom View Post
I need counter space for meals.
That's what I was thinking when I bought it. And there are only 2 of us. Will be easy for my wife to cook in that kitchen.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #12

We bought the Forest River Shamrock 23ikss and just came back from a 10 day maiden voyage. It is an awesome camper! Tons of storage, and the kitchen island makes a huge difference. The one thing I would watch for is the awning over the kitchen slide, it will touch the edge of the slide and in windy weather will slap down on it. We got some cheap 3/4" pipe foam insulation and slid it over the top of the slide before extending the awning and it protected it from any harm. The beds also have a weird uneven lip on the inside edge where the tent connects that made the outside person roll down into the middle of the bed. We might put some padding under there next time to try to level it out some. The shower is functional but a bit cramped. We also had some condensation on the inside of the bed tents in the mornings, but we were at the ocean and had the heat running. It dried up during the day so may have just been the humidity there. Oh, one last thing - from personal experience... close the front door before you bend over to crank up the stabilizers... the bottom corner is sharp! ouch my back!

Old 01-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg.thecoop View Post
We bought the Forest River Shamrock 23ikss and just came back from a 10 day maiden voyage. It is an awesome camper! Tons of storage, and the kitchen island makes a huge difference. The one thing I would watch for is the awning over the kitchen slide, it will touch the edge of the slide and in windy weather will slap down on it. We got some cheap 3/4" pipe foam insulation and slid it over the top of the slide before extending the awning and it protected it from any harm. The beds also have a weird uneven lip on the inside edge where the tent connects that made the outside person roll down into the middle of the bed. We might put some padding under there next time to try to level it out some. The shower is functional but a bit cramped. We also had some condensation on the inside of the bed tents in the mornings, but we were at the ocean and had the heat running. It dried up during the day so may have just been the humidity there. Oh, one last thing - from personal experience... close the front door before you bend over to crank up the stabilizers... the bottom corner is sharp! ouch my back!
Thanks for your feedback. What are you towing it with? Here is something I found that helps with the condensation and is cheap.

1 Pint Mini Dehumidifier-EDV-1100 at The Home Depot
Old 01-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #14

Sorry, new to the forum and didn't have my signature set! I'm pulling it with a 2012 Tundra Crew Max 5.7L w/Tow package and a 10K Equal-i-zer. It was an easy pull, but mileage sux... only averaged 8mpg. But I could accelerate! :-)

Thanks for the link, I'll check that out. We did find that could only run about two strong appliances plugged in at a time or would blow the breaker so would have to evaluate usage (were using two small 1500w heater fans, and 3rd item like toaster or coffee pot would trip it). It was our first trip with a furnace and we weren't sure what the LP usage was going to be like, so had the heater fans to be safe.

2012 Tundra Crew Max 5.7L iForce V8 w/Equal-i-zer 10K
2013 Shamrock 23IKSS
Nights camped in 2012 - 32; 2013 - 31; 2014 - 22 so far
greg.thecoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg.thecoop View Post
Sorry, new to the forum and didn't have my signature set! I'm pulling it with a 2012 Tundra Crew Max 5.7L w/Tow package and a 10K Equal-i-zer. It was an easy pull, but mileage sux... only averaged 8mpg. But I could accelerate! :-)

Thanks for the link, I'll check that out. We did find that could only run about two strong appliances plugged in at a time or would blow the breaker so would have to evaluate usage (were using two small 1500w heater fans, and 3rd item like toaster or coffee pot would trip it). It was our first trip with a furnace and we weren't sure what the LP usage was going to be like, so had the heater fans to be safe.
I'll be towing it with a 2010 Ford F150 lariat, tow package with a Husky equalizer hitch, brake controller and sway control. Sounds like you never pass a gas station up. Sounds like we need to save money to pay for all the gas. :-) We pick ours up this Friday. Test camping with it Sat. at a near by state park in Houston TX. area. Flat ground so no up hill tow testing.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #16

Photobill...how's the Roo?

I assume you picked up your new toy last week. I pick mine up a week from tomorrow.

Hope all is well!

Camped for 12 nights in 2015 - too many cancellations
Camped for 25 nights in 2014!
Camped for 24 nights in 2013!
RedStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #17

Yes we picked it up last Friday. And it is very nice. But the money outflow hasn't stopped yet. :-( So many things to buy to stock it first of all.

Just purchased the Rand McNally 7720 GPS for RVers. A very nice unit for $308.00. Now online seeing I need to buy a surge/power protector for the ROO. Costing anywhere from $100 - $500 depending on how much protection you want.

We plan to mainly go camping at state parks in TX. and a trip to Yellowstone this July hopefully. We don't care for RV parks, just a parking lot.

Did you get a WD hitch? I got the equalizer and it works fine. I also bought the Prodigy 2 brake controller. Still need to adjust that some.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #18

I'm following in your footsteps Photobill.

I ordered the equalizer hitch and ball as you did. I only hope it arrives before we are to pick up the Roo. I ended up going with the 23ss over the 233s.

You are right, I've spent a good sum of money on required miscellaneous items - tow mirrors, rhinoflex, fresh water hose (what do people use for their black hose) chocs, equalizer, etc.

I still need to purchase many interior items, but we can't wait.

Our first trip will be spent in Huntsville State Park. That's only an hour away at most and has some convenient stores located nearby.

Hopefully will see you around these Texas Parks! We have scheduled a nice trip to caprock canyon state park in March and Ft. Richardson in April.

Keep us updated on your camping!

Camped for 12 nights in 2015 - too many cancellations
Camped for 25 nights in 2014!
Camped for 24 nights in 2013!
RedStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStick View Post
what do people use for their black hose
Redstick - The RhinoFLEX is a good one. This is the one we use. $30 at Amazon.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #20

I know I am a little late to the party but we purchased our 23IKSS on 2-15 and brought home 2-25. We are in love with the unit but have found a few things that should be looked into. First of all the battery disconnect, I pointed that out to the dealer and the factory rep. The factory changed the location so that it can be disconnected with the slides in. Second, we didn't realize there are no heat ducts towards the front of the camper. Haven't said anything yet but will see what the factory rep says when i talk to him about it.