Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #1

2014 Roo 233S leaks

I have never in my life been more disappointed in a product. Forrest River will hear from my lawyer and take this crap back. After fixing what I thought was the leak problem in out brand new $20.000 camper by "seasoning" the canvas we just had a rain storm in Maryland. My girlfriend and I were happy because there was no leaks in the front bunk (the only one we had folded down) She got up and went to the bathroom and there was an inch of water throughout the back of the camper. Both matresses are soaked the floor is soaked and everything we had in the bottom cabinets is soaked. Tomorrow this crap is being dropped off at the dealer and the bank will get a call. I will not make another payment on this junk.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #2

I'm sorry to hear that. Its under warranty and should be repaired\replaced. Check your states Lemon Laws. I think you have to try and have something repaired a couple of times before they are obligated to take it back.

2017 Ford F350 CCSB
Mods and Pics
BurgPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:07 AM   #3

It's very frustrating to purchase a new product, wait for Weeks for it to come direct from the factory and have these problems. From a refrig. that won't work without fans to now leaks. I honestly don't know how to dry the mattress out. The camper is on a lot (paid for the entire Month) and it's supposed to rain more this Weekend. I can't even imagine the damage if we were not here last night to soak up the water. At the very least I'm going to demand new matresses.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #4

Is it on their lot or a storage lot? You should try to protect it, tarp it, if it is not in their possession.

2017 Ford F350 CCSB
Mods and Pics
Old 08-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgPath View Post
Is it on their lot or a storage lot? You should try to protect it, tarp it, if it is not in their possession.
X eleventy

It's called mitigating damage.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgPath View Post
I read that as on a seasonal lot. And I do agree with trying to tarp it to avoid more rain intrusion.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #7

Am I over thinking the closure of the bunk ends on these Roos? I don't know if maybe during the storm the one bunk end was possibly not closed correctly and had a small piece of canvass stuck in the seal. But should this matter? If the ends don't leak when opened, why should they leak if something is stuck between the seal? Is this seal kink of a secondary one?
Old 08-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #8

When you fold that door up does it require ANY pressure to swing the lock arm in and latch?
First time we put the ends up, I had to push a little. Got some water when I opened it a week later.
Now we ensure that the door sits closed nearly flush, then latch. It requires no effort to latch the swing arm closed.

2017 Ford F350 CCSB
Mods and Pics
Old 08-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #9

We have the new style latch system which does not seem to close as tight as the old system did. I know this may sound stupid but how come it makes a difference if when you close the door the seal does not seal? If the bunks don't leak when opened how does closing them wrong suddenly make them leak? It seems the only way it would matter is if some way when you closed them the seal pulled away from the camper. The rubber seal around the door being breached should allow water in on the canvass but how does it get inside?
Old 08-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroo2 View Post
We have the new style latch system which does not seem to close as tight as the old system did. I know this may sound stupid but how come it makes a difference if when you close the door the seal does not seal? If the bunks don't leak when opened how does closing them wrong suddenly make them leak? It seems the only way it would matter is if some way when you closed them the seal pulled away from the camper. The rubber seal around the door being breached should allow water in on the canvass but how does it get inside?
That's a good question - with the new bunk canvas design where it is permanently attached to the door, it seems like even if you had water coming in the door it wouldn't get through the canvas and into the trailer. You would expect to have a puddle when you opened it back up.

Unless, the canvas was unzipped - then the water would come through the screens. And I have no idea how water tight the zippers are. Standing water might be able to get through the zippers???

I see your point here, but for other reasons, like not having water in the canvas while in storage, it seems like a good habit to make sure the canvas is not pinched in the door seals when closing it up.

But for sure, you shouldn't be having leaks. In reading some of the other threads, it seems that FR has been pretty good about making repairs when there is a problem. Hopefully that's the case with your rig and they get it corrected for you. Very frustrating, I'm sure...

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #11

Here is what we have experienced with our bunk ends so far.

Its a two person job getting them closed properly. One person pushes up the bunk (outside) while the other person inside the camper pulls in the canvas and material around the edges and the middle. I have closed them alone and inevitably a piece of canvas is protruding or gets caught between the seal. It doesnt happen everytime but it only takes once. From one improper closing we did get water behind the front door. We inspect those seals now with a six foot ladder we bring along as if we were going to take her onto the water and it needed to float. We have had water get inside because of an in sufficient job closing the bunks a couple of times.

Seasoning the bunk ends. We have had water get into the bunk ends we believe thru the stitching twice on the same bunk end. All evidence seems to point to seasoning. The other two bunk ends had gotten seasoned by a small rain. The rear bunk though that took on lots of water twice got really wet one time leaving the bottom of the mattress soaked. We pulled out the mattress and let her dry in the sun and brought it in to sleep on that night.

We have purchased popup gizmos. They are going to offer up protection against water. We actually purchased them before we took delivery of the camper. They should have been on those two nights we took on water but I wanted to get them "seasoned" so they were left off.

As we move forward we'll continue to monitor water intrusion. The beds might be seasoned at this point. We'll see. If we continue to take on water there could be another issue. The last rain we had no water at all. But then we had the gizmos on all the beds. It was a heavy down pour though. I'm happy with the progress of things but then its been a pretty dry when we've been out camping all in all. We've been out 21 nights with 3 additional in the driveway. We are headed out this weekend again and I dont expect to have any issues.

Sorry to hear about your issues. All I can say is keep an eye out for all possible sources of the water intrusion and make sure those ends get closed up with nothing getting in between that seal and camper. It's a two person job in our world. I just wish my wife didnt need the 20 foot extension ladder along! She's kinda short. Grrr.

https://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #12

Truly sorry about your situation. I hope that everything will work out and you can get it all fixed so that you can enjoy your new camper. We have been sitting in our new Roo all morning in a downpour and your post made me run around and check the bunks. So far just what appear to be not fully seasoned seam leaks but I do question why the more weather resistant vinyl is not used on the side panels too (other than less cost for the manufacturer). Does anyone know if there is a valid reason for this ? More breathability? No idea! I have just found two very small puddles. One is coming from a corner seam where the stitching is stretched really tight. I am thinking of adding to the sealant already on the outside in that spot. The other is where the rainwater is coming in the screen and running down to the low corner on a side panel. I can see two rivulets of water getting through the horizontal seam and running down.

The best thing I can suggest is to get inside while it is raining and try to trace your leaks. Hope it works out!
Old 08-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #13

I would be inclined to take the back mattresses out, close up the bunk ends and have you or someone else give the exterior a hose down and see if you find a leak.

I agree with others that it sounds like canvas was not properly tucked in from the seal.

Also, when the canvas is stretched water does not pool on the canvas. It runs off properly.

If you have pooled up water on a canvas material, it will leak through, eventually. The literature that came with the trailer does not state the canvas is waterproof!

I would say if the problem was your fault, tuck your tail and run!

If there is a seal failure, which could be pinpointed by hosing down the trailer and having someone inside watching for water intrusion, then you can seek to have the dealer replace the seals and possibly the mattresses.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s, PI HW30-C, Equalizer 10k 4 way hitch,
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #14

So on new models the canvas is attached permanently all the way around the door edge? If so then yes, it should puddle on the canvas.
When you open the bunk end and find it wet inside the camper, is there water on the canvas or is it dry?
On mine I noticed that when closed, the outer bottom of the door lost the caulk. It would allow water to run down the bunk end face into the channel that attaches to the piano hinge. If enough water ran down it could fill that channel and flow back into the camper. I sealed that right after purchase.

You mentioned the mattress was wet. Was it attached to the door or on the floor? What part was wet? Bottom near the hinge or top as if water dripped down on it.

2017 Ford F350 CCSB
Mods and Pics
Old 08-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #15

We just brought our 2014 233S back to the dealer because of the bunks leaking. They are not leaking tremendously but enough to get it fixed. I think it's been weathered enough with about a dozen rain storms. During the last storm I tarped the bunks which helped. They will check it and most likely seal all the seams.
2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #16

Cool No leaks

We have a 2011 ROO23SS that we bought used in May, the roof leaked but not the bed ends. We camped all last week for 8 days straight and it rained for 3 days in row. No leaks. I close the ends myself and dont think it is a big deal. WE LOVE our ROO!!!
Rodney Butalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Butalla View Post
We have a 2011 ROO23SS that we bought used in May, the roof leaked but not the bed ends. We camped all last week for 8 days straight and it rained for 3 days in row. No leaks. I close the ends myself and dont think it is a big deal. WE LOVE our ROO!!!
Welcome Rodney!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #18

I have a 2012 Roo19 with the attached canvas. I remove the mattress from the bunk before I fold up the bunks. Gives the canvas a lot more room to stay out of the seal.
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #19

Water is amazing. The rule is if it is allowed to pool up it can and will penetrate. Like others have said Look for how it got in. Also remember start high as water runs low.
CDNWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #20

We had same problem up here in Ontario Canada....took on water faster then Titanic.. I gave FR another chance 2 weeks ago on a new 23RS and my RV smells like CRAP so out of the 2 issues I have had with FR water is better then CRAP. Good luck I know the pain and issues you are going through....23RS for sale CRAP smell Icluded...
2014 Rain Days = 3 Snow Days = 0
patkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
233, 233s, leak, roo