Old 04-23-2014, 07:47 PM   #11

Ahhhhh... that's better. Wife agrees as the mattress lays flat and even with the gap under where the hinge is, the mattress doesn't sag there, yet.

So to recap this was the pink Styrofoam insulation from homedepot. This was the 1.5" thick on the back. I cut it to fit the floor perfectly and it didn't need to be glued, yet. Wait til I drive down the road and it falls out, but as of now the mattress holds it in place when folded up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1398296607018.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	50789  

Old 04-23-2014, 08:22 PM   #12

We have a 2014 233S (6/13 build) and it has the same situation. The foam boards seem like the best solution for now. I'll have to pick some up and lay them in there. Maybe that will help insulate also. It's going to be in the 30's here tonight and we can't wait !!

Old 04-23-2014, 08:36 PM   #13

ChibullsAN,

I believe that's how I did mine. Don't notice that gap. These height variances occurred after the 2011 bunk design. I didn't have the issue until I had bunk replacements as they are quite larger. Just pulled mine out of the garage and prepping for a local trip this weekend. Whole family ready to kick off the season...finally!

2011 Rockwood Roo 233S
2008 Chevy Express 3500 Explorer Conversion
Prodigy Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Buckeyecmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRoo View Post
We have a 2014 233S (6/13 build) and it has the same situation. The foam boards seem like the best solution for now. I'll have to pick some up and lay them in there. Maybe that will help insulate also. It's going to be in the 30's here tonight and we can't wait !!
Well seeing that it is insulation foam with an r value of 7.5 and it's directly under the mattress, I would conclude that it would help.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibullsAN View Post
So to recap this was the pink Styrofoam insulation from homedepot. This was the 1.5" thick on the back. I cut it to fit the floor perfectly and it didn't need to be glued, yet. Wait til I drive down the road and it falls out, but as of now the mattress holds it in place when folded up.
Seeing the result, I'll look into buying a more compressible high-density foam (urethane?) big enough to cover the same area and fill in the gap. I'll lay the Styrofoam sheet over that, bridging the transition, then lay the Roo mattress on top of that.

If that works I'll bond the Styrofoam to the urethane, split it down the middle, and create a hinge with tape of some kind. I'll orient the split perpindicular to the split in the regular mattress.

Now, why couldn't Forest River put a thick layer of urethane foam on the bottom of their fancy inner-spring mattress, filling in the gap the same way? They'd only have to do it for the back bunk.

Considering the care they seem to put into everything else, this is inconsistent.

Tags
roo, bed