Old 06-18-2014, 09:32 PM   #1

2015 21DK - Fridge on DC while travelling?

Sorry, simple post but can't find a clear answer if the fridge will run on DC
when we are travelling, and if so can I expect to have a full battery when I arrive?

We pick up our trailer next week and the manual makes reference to a 3way refrigerator (some models), so looking for some real world info from a current owner. Almost forgot, there's a outside kitchen fridge, looks like a normal aftermarket bar fridge insert, I assume this one definitely doesn't work unless we are connected with power?

Thanks in advance your your help

Old 06-18-2014, 09:37 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If your TV is set up properly it should help keep your battery charged.
Ask your dealer during pdi if your TV has power on the 7 way.
Or you may need to run an additional hot wire to the connector.

What is your tv?

Old 06-18-2014, 10:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xssive View Post
Sorry, simple post but can't find a clear answer if the fridge will run on DC
when we are travelling, and if so can I expect to have a full battery when I arrive?

We pick up our trailer next week and the manual makes reference to a 3way refrigerator (some models), so looking for some real world info from a current owner. Almost forgot, there's a outside kitchen fridge, looks like a normal aftermarket bar fridge insert, I assume this one definitely doesn't work unless we are connected with power?

Thanks in advance your your help
The fridge is a 2 way fridge, not a 3 way; meaning it will only run on AC and gas. You can travel with the gas powering your fridge but it is advised you turn off the gas if you need to fuel up while traveling.

I usually plug my trailer into my house AC a day before I leave for a trip, run my fridge on gas while traveling, and then switch over to the campground AC once I set up.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Forest River Forums mobile app

2012 GMC Yukon XL SLT 4X4
2014 Rockwood Roo 21DK

BadgerRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:44 PM   #4

I have a 21dk. It'll run on propane while driving. We turned it off most every time to fill up. The 12v circuit will power the fridge and control the propane. When 110v is available it'll still run on 12v but use the 110v to power the heating element.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:45 PM   #5

Quote:
The fridge is a 2 way fridge, not a 3 way; meaning it will only run on AC and gas. You can travel with the gas powering your fridge but it is advised you turn off the gas if you need to fuel up while traveling.
Not QUITE true (maybe "misleading.")

The cooling components of your fridge can operate on either 120VAC or on gas. However, whether the cooling is being provided by 120VAC or gas, the control board that controls these cooling components ALWAYS runs on 12VDC. It' gets the 12VDC from the battery circuit. So while you're on the road, you can operate the fridge with 12VDC from the battery/TV power for the control board and LP gas from your gas bottles to do the actual cooling. You cannot run the fridge on 120VAC.

Note that it's debatable whether it is "safe" or not to run down the road with your LP gas valved in and the fridge burning the gas. Many people do it, many do not.

True 3-way fridges, that can operate strictly on 12VDC are typically limited to the very small fridges you see on small popups. (I had one on my 1988 Coleman Sequoia popup. I think it was something like 1.2 cu ft. And actually, it was only 2-way - it ran on 12VDC or gas. It's just that the 12VDC always came from the battery, but if you had 120VAC, the 12VDC actually came from the converter feed to the battery.)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Not QUITE true (maybe "misleading.")

The cooling components of your fridge can operate on either 120VAC or on gas. However, whether the cooling is being provided by 120VAC or gas, the control board that controls these cooling components ALWAYS runs on 12VDC. It' gets the 12VDC from the battery circuit. So while you're on the road, you can operate the fridge with 12VDC from the battery/TV power for the control board and LP gas from your gas bottles. You cannot run the fridge on 120VAC.

Note that it's debatable whether it is "safe" or not to run down the road with your LP gas valved in and the fridge burning the gas. Many people do it, many do not.
Well, obviously there has to be "some" DC component going to the fridge, but based on the OP's question I think we can all agree he was referring to DC COMPLETELY powering the fridge, and that is simply not how the 2 way fridge works, especially while driving.

2014 Rockwood Roo 21DK

Old 06-18-2014, 11:50 PM   #7

Even when plugged in to shore power, about the only things needing/using 120 volts are the microwave, AC and the water heater, everything else is converted to 12 volts through the converter.
On mine even the TV is 12 volts. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:17 AM   #8

Hmmm.. maybe it was explained to me all wrong then. I can admit that! . So what's the difference between the 3 way fridge on my old pop up and the 2 way fridge I have in my TT?

2014 Rockwood Roo 21DK

Old 06-19-2014, 12:41 PM   #9
Moderators' Assistant

there is no 3-way fridge/freezer available on the Roo/Shamrock line.
they only have 2-way available.

so, to run the fridge while enroute, the easiest and most common way is to run it on propane. this does require using the electronics which are powered by 12vDC battery power.

the only other way to run it on the 110vAC side, while enroute, is to install a big inverter to run off of a bank of batteries. seriously doubt if the average tow vehicle could keep up recharging the batteries unless it had a second alternator dedicated to the trailer battery bank.

you need to realize that only small popup-size fridges can be kept cool by the 12vDC side from the tow vehicle. a average size fridge in a hybrid, is too big for this to be possible.

many new hybrid owners are coming from the world of popups and this gets confusing.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
there is no 3-way fridge/freezer available on the Roo/Shamrock line.
they only have 2-way available.

so, to run the fridge while enroute, the easiest and most common way is to run it on propane. this does require using the electronics which are powered by 12vDC battery power.

the only other way to run it on the 110vAC side, while enroute, is to install a big inverter to run off of a bank of batteries. seriously doubt if the average tow vehicle could keep up recharging the batteries unless it had a second alternator dedicated to the trailer battery bank.

you need to realize that only small popup-size fridges can be kept cool by the 12vDC side from the tow vehicle. a average size fridge in a hybrid, is too big for this to be possible.

many new hybrid owners are coming from the world of popups and this gets confusing.
Yes. Exactly what I thought. Thanks for the info!

2014 Rockwood Roo 21DK

Tags
fridge, travel