Old 09-13-2014, 10:08 PM   #1

2015 23ikss 2nd trip out.. Happy Camper

Just wanted to report all is going well with our new 23ikss ... We love, love love it !

We are in CT dry-camping right now in a little rain and the bunk ends are dry and the awning has more then enough room for our 5 camp chairs, table & then some. I really love the ease of opening these bunk ends... We are doing 2 nights , so we are conserving as much battery as we can and we shall see how much we get out of it. We decided not to bring the generator.

I love prepping food in the kitchen, the island is awesome, as is all the storage. The bumper grill works great for stuff we don't want to cook inside, or need a quickie heat on. I store it under the dinette in the little bag it came in thru the outside pass thru.

We are sleeping 5 this trip and I opted for the dinette bed instead of the air mattress. I tested the air mattress at home, and it was comfy-ish and easy to inflate... But deflating I found quite annoying, so the dinette seemed like the better option if your guest can fit on it. (6ft and over is pushing it)

So basically I don't have any complaints to report at this time, (Knock on wood ... but wanted to give my two thumbs up on our little Shamrock

Lori

2012 LR4
2015 23ikss (picking up 8/25)
Equalizer hitch
Stickfigure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:49 PM   #2

Great to hear you are happy with your 23IKSS. We are having a great time with ours too and for a lot of the same reasons. Just curious - are you using the air pump to deflate the air bed? It sucks the air out pretty quickly and then the bed is a breeze to fold up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 Shamrock 23IKSS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DH-DW-D3K-DMTTSAP
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:15 PM   #3

Great to hear! I was surprised how easy it is to cook inside. The island really makes a difference. I just wish the shower was a little bigger, but now we have it down to a science. Keep us posted because we all learn from each other. And we use the pump to deflate the air bed.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:35 PM   #4

Hi Stickfigure,

Hammonasset or Rocky Neck? We just took delivery of our 23ikss last Saturday. Maiden voyage will be at Odetah Columbus weekend. Friends of ours with their salem will be at Hammonasset m-t this week on Beach rd (we sites). We always do a week of dry camping there.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:57 AM   #5

Deflate with the pump ?? lol UMM NO !!.. did not know about that !! Please Do tell !! Lol because it was not a hard set up, I was laying across it trying to remove the air with slow progress.

We are actually at Kettletown State Park, we considered Hammoneset but wound up here. That is a future destination though if you have any tips.... And OMG and we got on the Hutchinson Parkway by accident ! (Low bridges- 10ft) and that was drama /nail biter till we got off and found our way again !
Anyway we wanted to be close to New Haven where my DH went to Law School so we wound up over here..... He wanted to take us around Hamdenn and Sleeping Giant Park, which was really nice.

So it was a bit chilly this AM and I turned on the heat a few and then the beeping started.. Trouble shooter and found nothing wrong...The battery is at 1/2 and the gas was off... It lasted a bit, I shut the heat off, then it finally stopped... Any thoughts ? Even when I was just making some eggs and toast on the stove it beeped a bit... Is it just sensitive ??

Thank again everyone !!

Lori

2012 LR4
2015 23ikss (picking up 8/25)
Equalizer hitch
Stickfigure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #6

Haha. Yes laying on the bed to deflate it would get old, however pulling the valve plug when trying to get the teenagers out of bed proves to be very effective.
I don't remember the procedure to use the pump to deflate the mattress but it was pretty simple.
The oven and heating system will smoke the first few times you use them. It is just some of the oils from manufacturing that are burning off. Best to open the windows and run the fans when doing it to clear the smell. If you want to use the oven for baking I'd recommend putting a round pizza stone on the metal "shelf" above the burner. Then you can adjust the rack to whatever height you need. The stone helps things to bake evenly. just be sure to secure the stone while traveling so it doesn't bounce around and crack.
Have fun

2015 Shamrock 23IKSS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DH-DW-D3K-DMTTSAP
Old 09-14-2014, 11:30 AM   #7

Does sound strange deflating with a pump! Look at the dial on pump, I think it's marked. Used it last camping trip but not this one. I would check, but we just closed up to head home Same procedure as inflating but in reverse.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:38 AM   #8

Never stayed at a CT State Forest. Always stayed at Hammonasset or Rocky Neck. Hammonasset has 550 sites with Beach road WE. Hammonasset is right on the shore with a little walk or bike ride to the beach. Rocky Neck is a little more of a distance. Requires a car or bike ride.

I ran the heater during the week to get that burn off smell out. My last two tt's would always set the smoke detector off whenever we cooked inside. Especially when you have it closed up when its chilly out.

I read in the owners manual that the air mattress needs to come in over the winter. A lot of FROGs have complained that they leak.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:16 PM   #9

Thanks for the pizza stone trick. I use the oven alot and have found it to be very hot near the bottom. I'm anxious to see how this will work out!
Old 09-14-2014, 08:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by syogerst View Post
Thanks for the pizza stone trick. I use the oven alot and have found it to be very hot near the bottom. I'm anxious to see how this will work out!

You're very welcome. We've baked cinnamon rolls and brownies and all came out great. The stone really evens out the heat.

2015 Shamrock 23IKSS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DH-DW-D3K-DMTTSAP

Tags
camper