Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2018, 11:51 PM   #1

2015 Rockwood Roo roof type

I'm sure this has been mentioned here before but I can't seem to find anything when I do a search. I am getting ready to perform roof maintenance on my 2015 Rockwood Roo 19 for the first time. I am unsure the roof type for this year. My documentation from Forest River doesn't say much. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I am leaning towards using Eternabond tape on all the seams of the perimeter/edges, vents, skylights, etc. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this method vs the conventional Dicor application.

Thanks in advance.
redwolfpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:20 AM   #2

Ok so I called Forest River this morning and spoke with Jake in service. He said my roof is a TPO membrane made by Alpha. He recommended Alpha Systems Self Leveling Sealant and advised against Dicor. I'm still interested in the Eternabond product and would like to hear more feedback.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:54 AM   #3
Take The Road Less Travld

I used eternabond on my seams across the roof and where the antenna comes down and rests on the roof. I would defiantly use eternabond for this and I might agree that self leveling might be a better option for the seams around the perimeter of the trailer. I have not done that yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer roof.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	183943  
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:50 PM   #4
Just as confused as you

Eternabond will work with any roof type. Many forum members, myself included, have applied the Eternabond on our roofs before any problems show up. Some have done so before the first camping season was over. Clean the application area of the roof with mineral spirits on a rag, followed by de-natured alcohol on another rag. You don't need to remove the old sealant, just apply right over the old sealant and use a small seam roller to roll it down applying pressure. Once the Eternabond is applied, it's not coming off without a lot of work.

Do a search on the forum for Eternabond and you will find many threads, some with pictures.

The instructions are in the Library section on the light green bar at the top of each forum page. Click on Library > Awnings, Roofs and Exterior, you will see Eternabond General Applications and Eternabond Instructions.

For easier access click this link: Forest River Forums - Downloads - Awnings, Roofs and Exterior
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:19 PM   #5
Gustafson

Excellent information!
Old 08-21-2018, 01:23 PM   #6
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddauberE View Post
I used eternabond on my seams across the roof and where the antenna comes down and rests on the roof. I would defiantly use eternabond for this and I might agree that self leveling might be a better option for the seams around the perimeter of the trailer. I have not done that yet.

Just place the Eternabond on the roof edge so you can fold it over the side. Cover the screw trim if it is the type with exposed screws with blobs of sealant covering them. You can place it so it goes down into the gutter so it doesn't effect the rain.

Here's how I did mine. I need to clean my roof this weekend so please excuse the dirt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3in Over Trim Left.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	183956   Click image for larger version

Name:	3in Over Trim Right.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	183957  
Old 08-21-2018, 09:30 PM   #7

This is such great information, thanks so much guys.

I've heard some folks say the 6" tape works better on the ends, what did you guys use?
Old 08-22-2018, 06:49 AM   #8

I guess I'm all alone in the if it's not leaking don't fix it camp.
BigLou80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:39 PM   #9

[QUOTE=Scrapper;1906729]Eternabond will work with any roof type. Many forum members, myself included, have applied the Eternabond on our roofs before any problems show up. Some have done so before the first camping season was over. Clean the application area of the roof with mineral spirits on a rag, followed by de-natured alcohol on another rag. You don't need to remove the old sealant, just apply right over the old sealant and use a small seam roller to roll it down applying pressure. Once the Eternabond is applied, it's not coming off without a lot of work.

X2! Used the Eternabond on my roof on every seam right over top of the dicor. Not the prettiest but it stopped a few leaks i noticed shortly after I bought it.
(bought used)
StrangeBird22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:58 PM   #10
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolfpei View Post
This is such great information, thanks so much guys.

I've heard some folks say the 6" tape works better on the ends, what did you guys use?
I bought a 50' roll of the 6" tape. I then cut 2 - 8'3" pieces for the ends, then split the remaining down the middle for 2 = 3" strips. Many people buy 6' for the front and rear and either 2" or 4" for the sides.

Eternabond recommends laying the rear 6" piece, then overlap the 2 side pieces over the rear, then the front piece overlapping the 2 side pieces.

Tags
rockwood, rockwood roo, roo, roof