Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2016, 11:09 AM   #1

Question 2015 Roo 23 IKSS - Mysterious Battery Issue

I took delivery of my 2015 Roo 23 IKSS 18 months ago. When it is parked at the house I keep it plugged in to 110V to keep the battery charged. When I disconnect from 110V, nothing works and the battery meter in the roo control panel shows zero. I put a battery tester on the battery to check it out and it shows 100% - so I assume the battery is ok. When I have the trailer hooked up to 110V, all electrical works. Could this be a power converter issue? Just doesn't seem like it would since the trailer is only 18 months old.

Also, how hard is to hook up a second battery in parallel since I have room on the frame to mount a second battery? Do I need a different power converter to handle two batteries? Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Pivotmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:51 AM   #2

Did you check the battery disconnect under the tongue?
ROCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:57 PM   #3
Site Team

2nd battery install is easy.

No, you don't need a different converter.

One issue is that it's advised to have two new matching brands of batteries.
Matching a new battery with an old battery can be a problem.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:36 PM   #4

Do you have a battery disconnect by the door? I have a 2015 ik and my disco is down low on the left side of the door.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:13 PM   #5

^^ same on ours.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:23 PM   #6

x2 on the the push switch just to the left inside the door. Does the couch slide work on battery? It is independent on mine on how the switch is thrown. I haven't done the 2nd battery (though our first trip this year is boondocking in 10 days) but I do like that FR off set the battery so a 2nd battery could be mounted.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pivotmeister View Post
I took delivery of my 2015 Roo 23 IKSS 18 months ago. When it is parked at the house I keep it plugged in to 110V to keep the battery charged. When I disconnect from 110V, nothing works and the battery meter in the roo control panel shows zero. I put a battery tester on the battery to check it out and it shows 100% - so I assume the battery is ok. When I have the trailer hooked up to 110V, all electrical works. Could this be a power converter issue? Just doesn't seem like it would since the trailer is only 18 months old.

Also, how hard is to hook up a second battery in parallel since I have room on the frame to mount a second battery? Do I need a different power converter to handle two batteries? Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Don't know about your no 12 volt issue. Could be a disconnect switch.
As far a 2 batteries, I always use 2 because we rarely stay at full hook ups. Age difference isn't necessarily a problem as long as both are holding a charge. Check them individually with at full charge and no load with a digital Volt meter. Look for dropping voltage drain. Hold probes on the terminal for a few minutes.
Very easy to mount 2 batteries. Use 6 garage wire and appropriate ring terminals. I always solder them. Then there is a solid connection that won't come loose.
ornery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:52 PM   #8

My battery disconnect switch is located on the frame near the tongue and has always been in the ON position. I do not have a reset button in the door on the left. Can you be more specific of the location of this push button?

After doing a few tests with a volt-ohm meter as described in the owners manual, I think the problem is the power converter. 0V on the circuit board terminals where it should have been 13V. Taking trailer in for service as it is still under warranty.

Thanks for the quick responses!
Pivotmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pivotmeister View Post
My battery disconnect switch is located on the frame near the tongue and has always been in the ON position. I do not have a reset button in the door on the left. Can you be more specific of the location of this push button?

After doing a few tests with a volt-ohm meter as described in the owners manual, I think the problem is the power converter. 0V on the circuit board terminals where it should have been 13V. Taking trailer in for service as it is still under warranty.

Thanks for the quick responses!
I have a 23WS, and my battery disconnect switch is also situated under the A-frame.......but I noticed the wire is not connected to the battery. I had to connect it.
I don't think it has anything to do with what you're experiencing but I just wanted to mention it. If you have a switch under the tongue, I'm sure you don't have one in the camper.
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:32 AM   #10

Battery Mystery

I had a similar issues with an old trailer of mine. Take your voltmeter and check for power between the battery positive terminal and trailer frame, not the battery negative terminal. You can get a false reading using the battery negative terminal. If you show no 12 volts you have a bad ground connection. I chased this issues till it drove me crazy. Bad grounds are a bugger. Good luck!
babalu55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, roo