Old 05-12-2016, 04:53 AM   #11
17-18 ft hybrid is about max loaded up. Make sure to install a weight distribution hitch.

2015 Ram Crew Hemi
2005 Surveyor SVT 255RS
Bowmanville SVT255S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:58 AM   #12
Highlander towing

Had the same problem with a 2012 Highlander. Checked with Toyota & use of a WDH will VOID any warranty, in fact research showed no unibody constructed vehicle should use a WDH. FYI

2016 Freelander 26rs
2015 Jeep Wrangler toad

jjrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:08 AM   #13
I guess every manufacturer is different. For example, according to the towing guidelines by Ford for my 13 Explorer, the use of WD hitch is required and it is a unibody so who knows. From what I could find online, it looks like toyota's issue is that of ambiguity. The article stated that according to the owner's manual, a WD hitch and sway bar must be used when towing trailers. However using a non OEM hitch may void the warranty if something happens. The problem is that Toyota doesn't make a hitch, so figure that one out!

With that being said,
I would think the Highlander could pull the Roo19 with no problems unless you are in very hilly areas that are known to be windy. If its flat like NW Ohio, I can't see it being a huge problem at all and have seen similar rigs while camping all over the place.

I think my WD hitch is an equalizer E2 with sway control. I would definitely without question use a hitch with sway control no matter what you pull unless its a pop up. The new hybrids are built higher with more clearance underneath than they used to be which makes them like a billboard when towing. If wind is coming at your side pushing the trailer left or right, you will wish you had sway bars.
Rodski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:16 AM   #14
Well I am confused and don't want to void the warranty.

Thank you for all of the info.

Perhaps a lighter Jay Feather would be wise. I really preferred the Roo hybrids over the Jayco hybrid offerings.

Thanks again.
wmutkelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:33 AM   #15
Originally Posted by jjrver View Post
Had the same problem with a 2012 Highlander. Checked with Toyota & use of a WDH will VOID any warranty, in fact research showed no unibody constructed vehicle should use a WDH. FYI

2016 Freelander 26rs
2015 Jeep Wrangler toad
Really? Maybe only a toyota problem.
My unibody Dodge Durango manufacturer's manual says to use a WDH when the tongue weight of the trailer exceeds 300 lbs. The factory hitch is rated for 750 lbs with a tow capacity of 7200 lb trailer. I certainly would not want to tow a heavy tongue weight without a WDH, .
HTT: "EscapeII" 2016 Shamrock 23WS (current)
PUP: "Escape" 2010 Rockwood HW 277 (gone)
TV: "Bruce" 2011 Dodge Durango V8 Hemi Crew
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
Traveled 19520 miles and 209 nights in 7 years and counting
GalsofEscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:46 AM   #16
Canadian Member

The Highlander is not suitable to tow a decent sized hybrid no matter what manufacturer's hybrid you look at (and the Roos and Shamrocks are among the best). When I say "decent sized", I mean 18' absolute minimum - the 183 and 19 are the most popular smaller hybrids. The Highlander is a very nice SUV but it's not setup for towing anything bigger than a popup (maybe a high wall model?) or maybe a smaller R-Pod.

The tongue weight of a decent sized hybrid plus passengers will put you well over the Highlander's GVWR. It would not be a pleasant ride. Plus the V6 in your Highlander will struggle to pull that big, flat front wall through the air.

I speak from experience. If you go ahead an get yourself a decent sized hybrid, be prepared to upgrade your tow vehicle. If you want to stick with a Toyota, the Tacoma will handle a 183 or 19 fine but may still be over the 6500# GVWR if you have more than 2 passengers. Any bigger than that and you'll need to consider a Tundra or full sized SUV. My 2008 Tacoma was minimally capable of towing my previous Roo 23SS and I was right at the GVWR with just 2 people in the cab.
2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8293SS, 12K Equal-i-zer
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73
Fondly remembered:
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:59 AM   #17
I think that being able to tow "X" trailer with "X" tow vehicle, is very different than being able to tow "X" trailer with "X" tow vehicle safely. A lot of trailer/TV combinations will pull a trailer up and down a mountain without issue, but when you have to lock up your brakes when some pulls out in front of you, or swerve at 60mph to avoid something falling off the vehicle in front of you, there may be an issue. Just something to think about.
Old- 2002 21 Roo
New- 2015 Shamrock 23 IKSS
TV- 2010 Nissan Titan CC
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:10 PM   #18
Originally Posted by wmutkelaw View Post
Very interested in buying a Roo 21dk, but am concerned about towing with a 15' Toyota Highlander V6 (with the tow package).

The weight ratings appear good.

Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
I just got a ROO 21SS and I had a Toyota 4-Runner and it had a tow capacity of 5000 lbs and choose not to pull it with that! You will exceed your Highlander tow capacity by a lot after you load it up with all you gear and people in your SUV. It would not be a safe idea to even try and tow a TT with your Highlander!!!
Dave & Elaine
Brookfield, WI
2016 Rockwood, ROO 21SS, pulled by a 2015 F150 XT, Super Cab, 2.7L Eco Boost, with 3.55 axle. Electric 6-speed auto trans w/tow mod. Tow package & integrated trailer brake. 7,600 lb. tow capacity. 145 wheel base. Equalizer 4 point W/D hitch.
djemgoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:45 PM   #19
Highlander Adequate?

No it isn't. Take it from the guy who has one. The 5000# rating for the Highlander is way over rated -- you can assume only about 75% of that which would be 3,750# at best.

I pull an R.Pod 179, about 2900# empty, with a comparable Highlander. Loaded with normal gear and equipment, the Highlander really struggles with headwinds and/or hilly terrain. I could go into detail as to why, but let's just say that the Highlander is in several ways not beefy enough.

In the Toyota line, a 4-Runner is entry level for towing.
Maineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:22 PM   #20
Pushing The Limits?

Not sure what hitch receiver you have on your highlander but the aftermarket receivers from e trailer list a max tongue wt. of 900 lbs. which would work with the Roo's. I'm pulling a Roo 17 with an Escape and while I will someday upgrade the tow vehicle it does fine but I do have to watch the tongue weight since my receiver is only rated at just over 500 lbs. Many of the responders would pull with a semi tractor if given the option but look at what you want to do with the trailer and what else you want to carry. Occasional trip to the ocean or full time retiree certainly makes a difference in what you want to buy. If you find a steal on a larger trailer it certainly makes sense in trying to get by for a time. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you have lots of options depending on your agenda.
Happy Camping.

DocRob is offline   Reply With Quote