Old 05-11-2016, 12:39 PM   #1
2015 Toyota Highlander versus 2017 Roo 21dk

Very interested in buying a Roo 21dk, but am concerned about towing with a 15' Toyota Highlander V6 (with the tow package).

The weight ratings appear good.

Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

wmutkelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:53 PM   #2
I'm not an expert, but with a trailer weight of about 5000lbs and a tongue weight of close to 600lbs, doesn't that exceed the limits of your highlander? If your highlander has a max towing of 5000lbs and a max hitch weight of 500lbs, that doesn't leave any room for passengers, gear or gas in the tow vehicle.

ROCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:35 PM   #3
Check the payload rating on the sticker on the door. Deduct 700 lbs. That is the approximate tongue weight of a loaded for camping 21dk. The remainder is what you have left for passengers and gear in your Highlander. Let us know how much is left. My guess is you're already overweight.
Limited payload is the problem with most suvs.
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:48 PM   #4
Moderators' Assistant
If your Highlander has the 500lbs tongue weight and 5000lbs towing capacity, the 21dk's hitch weight already exceeds the Highlander 's max, before you put anything in the trailer.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:11 PM   #5
Which Roo would you recommend for a tow equipped highlander?
Old 05-11-2016, 09:27 PM   #6
Site Team
I have a 15 highlander. Great ride, but... I'd not want to tow anything more than a small bassboat or pop-up camper. Itll be hard to recommend a roo for you without knowing more. How many people will you need to bed down, how far do you travel, how will it be used? Etc. You can do it with the right TT, and you've made a good start here asking for experienced help. Good luck.
2013 Rockwood 8282WS
Reese Revolution Pin, Reese 16K
2008 Tundra Limited Double Cab 5.7L
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:34 PM   #7
I would be looking at R-pods.

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"
2014 Stealth Evo 2850- "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7- "Clifford"
2013 Honda Accord Coupe V6 w/Track Pack- "Julia"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:00 PM   #8
I have a '16 21DK and pull it with a '13 Explorer. I live in Northwest Ohio where it is flat as a pancake. The Explorer is a little bigger and heavier than the Highlander but has a 5000 tow and 500 tongue weight. I believe the torque is higher as well. My setup and experience follows:

I'm within all max specs of the Explorer with passengers, gear, etc, with the exception of the tongue weight. I literally don't have any extra to spare except maybe 200 lbs if that. I'm well over the max tongue weight for the Explorer since the 21dk is over 600 lbs. I've got the tow package, trailer brake, anti-sway stability, trailer/tow assist, weight distribution hitch, and installed airbags in the springs for additional stability. With the WD hitch the end sags 3/4th of an inch from the front when the camper is attached. Since the WD hitch redistributes the weight off the end, I'm not THAT worried. I know I will get flamed for that! Be nice people!

Knowing that I'm maxed out with the Explorer, I have a feeling your capacities like GCWR, horsepower, torque, etc in the Highlander are slightly lower than the Explorer. But, the Explorer is more than adequate to pull it in flat land no problem. In fact we drove it all packed to the max to Yellowstone and back last year for a total of 4,000 miles and it pulled it up all those mountains and back no problem. Now I wasn't winning any speed races in some spots that's for sure, but it did the job for probably our one and only trip up mountains that big. Some areas were 3rd gear and floored and gulping gas so quick I could watch the gauge drop before my eyes but it did it. Not ideal I know, but just trying to give you a frame of reference for a similar sized and equipped vehicle.

I agree with Dcheatwood that a lot of factors need to be looked at and evaluated. I can't wholeheartedly recommend pulling it with a Highlander or Explorer, but if its relatively flat where you are, and you camp fairly local than its probably doable, but obviously not a perfect setup. I'm happy with mine and no complaints (with the exception that I would prefer a real truck) expecialy since it made to YS and back.
Rodski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:35 AM   #9
What would your thoughts be if I considered the 19 or 183?
Old 05-12-2016, 03:40 AM   #10
My suggestion is to look at a big popup. It will be within your vehicle's tow and payload ratings, we've had two and really liked them. Then later, when you get a full sized tow vehicle, you can get a full sized camper. Not meaning to rain on your parade. It's simply a function of the numbers and being safe.

jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote