Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2015, 08:03 PM   #1

2015 vs 2016 23IKSS

Hey all,

First time here.

After researching campers last summer, I think it's time we finally pulled the trigger.

Two adults, 8 year old kid. Sometimes we camp with another family, but not sure we'd host them in our camper. To date we just get adjoining campsites for tents.

I *think* the 23IKSS floor plan would work best for us, given the small amount of people we intend to house?

Settled on a hybrid trailer because we like the feeling of camping, but just want a few more creature comforts. Tow vehicle is a 1 ton.

Found a 2016 Shamrock 23IKSS for 21k, pretty loaded. Does not have stainless appliances, wood floors, heated holding tanks or thermopane windows. Has 13.5k AC, too.

We don't plan on doing any below freezing camping, so the lack of thermopane and heated tanks shouldn't be a concern, right?

Anyone know what they changed for 2016?

Thanks,

Todd
Toddavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:59 PM   #2

No changes from 2015 to 2016 but there will likely be fabric color changes at some point in 2016. Those seem to change mid year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-04-2015, 09:43 PM   #3

2015 vs 2016 23IKSS

Yes the interior colors so far is all that I see. We were going to wait and order but pulled the trigger on a late 2015 Saphire 23IKSS Loaded only options I don't have is SS Appliances, 15K AC and we love it came from 27 foot TT but this so much more versatile and easy to use.

We paid in the area of $21K and got a good amount of $ for my trade. I have learned a lot from folks here good place for info but what a great model Hybrid. We were originally looking at Prime Time Crusader 294/295 but didn't have the room the Roo did and did not want to spend nearly $2K on hitch and airbags. I tow with a 2014 F150 AWD Crew Cab EcoBoost no issues

2014 Ford F-150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB 3.5 Twin Turbo

2015 Roo 23IKSS Saphire
2015 (3) Nights Camped

Old 05-05-2015, 08:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddavid View Post
Hey all,

First time here.

After researching campers last summer, I think it's time we finally pulled the trigger.

I *think* the 23IKSS floor plan would work best for us, given the small amount of people we intend to house?

Settled on a hybrid trailer because we like the feeling of camping, but just want a few more creature comforts. Tow vehicle is a 1 ton.

Found a 2016 Shamrock 23IKSS for 21k, pretty loaded. Does not have stainless appliances, wood floors, heated holding tanks or thermopane windows. Has 13.5k AC, too.

We don't plan on doing any below freezing camping, so the lack of thermopane and heated tanks shouldn't be a concern, right?
Its usually 3 of us as well - this layout works great. If you like the tent feel but want the amenities of an rv, a hybrid should out nicely.

Location (distance from the factory) can play a big roll in price, but sounds like a good price. Heated tanks on a hybrid are pretty useless imo. The stainless appliances are just a fingerprint magnet and one more thing to clean, so I wouldn't want that either. Thermopane windows might be nice in the fall to help with condensation, but they are an expensive option, so hard to justify the price.

The options I do really like - power tongue jack, slide topper, night shades, aluminum wheels. If you are going to have additional people - the air mattress sofa bed is a good thing to have. The jackknife couch is fine as a couch, but pretty useless as a bed for anyone larger than a toodler.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
Its usually 3 of us as well - this layout works great. If you like the tent feel but want the amenities of an rv, a hybrid should out nicely.

Location (distance from the factory) can play a big roll in price, but sounds like a good price. Heated tanks on a hybrid are pretty useless imo. The stainless appliances are just a fingerprint magnet and one more thing to clean, so I wouldn't want that either. Thermopane windows might be nice in the fall to help with condensation, but they are an expensive option, so hard to justify the price.

The options I do really like - power tongue jack, slide topper, night shades, aluminum wheels. If you are going to have additional people - the air mattress sofa bed is a good thing to have. The jackknife couch is fine as a couch, but pretty useless as a bed for anyone larger than a toodler.

They are not making the air mattress beds anymore ours is a full sleeper with foam mattress quite comfy though we always carry a spare Queen blow up mattress for friends camping in tents etc

Why are the tank heater pass a waste we camp in March temps go lower then 30 so freshwater stays liquid and both tanks don't get thick? It just happened to be an option on ours but all the other stuff like Aluminum wheels, night shades, slide topper provide more usefulness

2015 Roo 23IKSS Saphire
2015 (3) Nights Camped

Old 05-05-2015, 11:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post

Why are the tank heater pass a waste we camp in March temps go lower then 30 so freshwater stays liquid and both tanks don't get thick?
We camp in weather where its in the 20's at night. Nothing freezes. If you are talking about extended cold where it doesn't get above freezing during the day, that's another story.

But either way, small water lines, especially exposed ones like the outdoor shower will freeze long before the tanks. It takes a while to freeze a full tank - and in a hybrid, you'll have a host of other challenges before you get to the point where you have to worry about frozen holding tanks.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:13 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for the help. The unit I am looking at does have the hide-a-bed (and power tongue jack, night shades, power awning, slide topper, and aluminum wheels).

So any regrets from anyone doing the 23IKSS floor plan with the kind of use I described? The extra bed on the 233S is interesting should we want to put two families inside...
Old 05-05-2015, 09:25 PM   #8

Quote:
So any regrets from anyone doing the 23IKSS floor plan with the kind of use I described? The extra bed on the 233S is interesting should we want to put two families inside...
We have an early 2015 23IKSS that we purchased last June. No regrets whatsoever

We are two adults and three teenage kids. Mom & dad are in the front bunk, girls are in the back bunk and our son gets the airbed. We've had eight sleeping in it and it was tight, but it worked and it was a heck of a lot roomier than our old tent. It is also great to have so much floor space on rainy days when we're all stuck inside.

Some of the new features on the late 2015's and I'd imagine 2016's too are that they are prepped for solar panels and also have a black tank flush system factory installed.

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-B-REIL View Post
In looking at the 23 IKSS, you may look at the Rockwood line up as well.

We got ours here Late 2015 Saphire Loaded www.mcgeorgesrv.com

They have two white ones left and two Saphires, was not fond of the interior color and patterns so went with Saphire and Love this trailer

2015 Roo 23IKSS Saphire
2015 (3) Nights Camped

Old 05-06-2015, 09:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the help. The unit I am looking at does have the hide-a-bed (and power tongue jack, night shades, power awning, slide topper, and aluminum wheels).

The 23 IKSS is a great floor plan. I seriously considered that also before settling on another popup.

The only slight complaint people mention (and it is slight) is that the kitchen slide takes away some awning space under it. It is only a foot or so of space so not a huge deal. But people do mention it occasionally. To me, the vast interior space more than makes up for a bit of outside space lost.

Enjoy your camper. It is a great model. Your family will love it.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
The 23 IKSS is a great floor plan. I seriously considered that also before settling on another popup.

The only slight complaint people mention (and it is slight) is that the kitchen slide takes away some awning space under it. It is only a foot or so of space so not a huge deal. But people do mention it occasionally. To me, the vast interior space more than makes up for a bit of outside space lost.

Enjoy your camper. It is a great model. Your family will love it.

Vin.

This is true however the awning is pretty big so unless your in direct sunlight or pouring rain not much of an issue for us although I see your point when we originally looked at the 21SS

2015 Roo 23IKSS Saphire
2015 (3) Nights Camped

Old 05-07-2015, 11:04 AM   #12

Toddavid, one warming, you will get "mod" fever if you purchase one...
Old 05-08-2015, 03:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by deartruc View Post
Toddavid, one warming, you will get "mod" fever if you purchase one...
I have a boat, so I know all about moditis. Always finding reasons to buy more "upgrades."

So deposit has been placed on 2016 23IKSS. Sapphire, Cherry Cabinets, Night Shades, Power Tongue, Gas Oven, Hide-a-Bed, Raised Refer Fronts, Conv Pkg C, Power Awning with LED, Spare Tire, Slide Topper, Outside Grill, Heated Mattresses, Bathroom Breeze fan.

Plan is to pick it up next Friday at Keystone RV in Greencastle PA.

Any cool places to camp near there that y'all can recommend? Have to try it out that night, of course!
Old 05-11-2015, 08:30 AM   #14

Quote:
I have a boat, so I know all about moditis. Always finding reasons to buy more "upgrades."

So deposit has been placed on 2016 23IKSS. Sapphire, Cherry Cabinets, Night Shades, Power Tongue, Gas Oven, Hide-a-Bed, Raised Refer Fronts, Conv Pkg C, Power Awning with LED, Spare Tire, Slide Topper, Outside Grill, Heated Mattresses, Bathroom Breeze fan.

Plan is to pick it up next Friday at Keystone RV in Greencastle PA.

Any cool places to camp near there that y'all can recommend? Have to try it out that night, of course!

Sounds like mine, we just used ours for a third trip since we picked it up early April, you will find a lot of people her that can help take your time make checklists just like in boating and you will enjoy this camper. I like to divide the chores of setting up and breaking down when we camp with GF's daughter and her friends when everyone chips in makes it a little easier on you.

Enjoy and Happy Camping 😎

2015 Roo 23IKSS Saphire
2015 (3) Nights Camped

Old 05-15-2015, 10:59 PM   #15

Got ours 2014 used from a family that only camped in it 2-3 times. Great buy, couldn't pass it up. We love, love, love the space in this camper! The kitchen slide doesn't really take up too much room under the awning at all. One of the first things I did was remove the soap and toothbrush holder over the sink. They are pretty useless, as we don't use bar soap on the sink and no ones toothbrushes fit in those little holes! We'll be putting a small shelf there or maybe nothing. Second thing I did was change out the shower for an oxygenics..world of difference. I did remove all of the water restrictors from both the shower hose, head and the faucet. When I want a shower, I want a shower! Third thing (because I'm a foodie), was to buy a pizza stone for the oven to better regulate the oven temps. Put it right on the metal plate above the gas flame and heat your oven. Works like a charm to prevent the bottoms of what your bake from burning. There are more things we've done, but these three make MY life in the camper pretty much like life at home. Oh...and we bought a clear elbow for the black water hose so we can see when it is running clear..ewwwwwww.

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4
Me, Hubby and Luna the Lab
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingcybermom View Post
Got ours 2014 used from a family that only camped in it 2-3 times. Great buy, couldn't pass it up. We love, love, love the space in this camper! The kitchen slide doesn't really take up too much room under the awning at all. One of the first things I did was remove the soap and toothbrush holder over the sink. They are pretty useless, as we don't use bar soap on the sink and no ones toothbrushes fit in those little holes! We'll be putting a small shelf there or maybe nothing. Second thing I did was change out the shower for an oxygenics..world of difference. I did remove all of the water restrictors from both the shower hose, head and the faucet. When I want a shower, I want a shower! Third thing (because I'm a foodie), was to buy a pizza stone for the oven to better regulate the oven temps. Put it right on the metal plate above the gas flame and heat your oven. Works like a charm to prevent the bottoms of what your bake from burning. There are more things we've done, but these three make MY life in the camper pretty much like life at home. Oh...and we bought a clear elbow for the black water hose so we can see when it is running clear..ewwwwwww.

Congrats and yes the slide doesn't take up much room under the awning and considering what space you get inside. I have to do the shower switchover but in the process of making a better space in the back storage area for plastic blocks and sewer stuff, also waiting for Pugs and PI Surge Protector to arrive.

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Old 05-16-2015, 03:42 PM   #17

Well, finally picked her up today. Plan was to pick her up yesterday, but our poor pup became quite ill.

Today was supposed to be day 2 into the maiden voyage at Cowans Gap state park, but mom stayed home with pup and daughter and I made the 5hr round trip trek to pick her up at Keystone RV Center. She didn't know where we were going, kept it a surprise! Props to Keystone, they were professional and prompt, getting us turned around in a little over 2hrs, including full walk through.

We did stop at a rest area on the way back and slid out the dinette side for lunch, and now we are driveway camping.

Question: a campground we frequent on the Chesapeake is mainly sites without hookups. The roof fan in the main coach operates on battery as well as shore power. Can it be run all night without draining battery?

And where does everyone keep their gas grill and mount when not in use?

So far we are really, really impressed with this camper. What a ton of quality for the money!
Old 05-16-2015, 04:01 PM   #18

Congratulations on your new addition! We keep the grill and the support arms in the bag that came with it. When traveling the bag goes on the floor all the way in the back by the back bunk. We have a rubber welcome mat that we use outside and the mat goes on the floor first and the grill sits on top. The mat keeps it from marking up the floor and the grill is wedged in that spot so it doesn't move but also doesn't scratch up the walls. Perfect fit.

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
Congrats and yes the slide doesn't take up much room under the awning and considering what space you get inside. I have to do the shower switchover but in the process of making a better space in the back storage area for plastic blocks and sewer stuff, also waiting for Pugs and PI Surge Protector to arrive.

2015 Roo 23IKSS

What do you mean that you are making a better space in the back storage area? I have that same trailer. Those flimzy walls can be moved but not too much.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:04 PM   #20

Precisely not much storage but the current setup is a waste so hoping to move things around a little better but furnace on kitchen slide dampens what I am trying to do. Argh

2015 Roo 23IKSS