Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2015, 06:23 PM   #1

2016 23IKSS PDI Leak Discovery

So I went this afternoon to pick-up my 2016 23IKSS & during the PDI, I noticed daylight coming through where the canvas connects to the shell, at the top outside corners. My salesperson went and got a hose to test my concern of water infiltration & water did start coming in, he offered to put sealant in the hole between the canvas and the plastic surround, however i'm not convinced that would be more than a band-aid / constant maintenance item as the canvas is "floppy" (for lack of a better word) by nature and would separate from any sealant that has attached to it over time, he also said he would be getting another one in in a couple of weeks that we could look over & I could take that one if it was to my satisfaction. During a non-windy rain event this wouldn't be an issue as there is a slight overhang over this corner & the canvas drains water away from it, however my concern is wind driven rain would definitely drive water in there. Some questions to other owners....
  1. What has your experience been at this condition? Can you see "daylight through that top corner?
  2. Have you experienced leaks at this condition in your camper?
  3. Are defects such as this considered "acceptable" by manufacturers and/or you personally?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150701_164749020.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	329.6 KB
ID:	81844  
2008 Fleetwood Niagara Pop-Up (2010-2015)
CampTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:37 PM   #2

No, thats not acceptable!. You're not supposed to see daylight at the corners. I think you're correct in that the sealant is a band aid attempt. There needs to be a better fix than gobbing sealant in the hole.
We've been in several nasty rainstorms in our 23ss and other than a bit of leakage the first time out in rain, we've had no leaks since. Those corners look as if it wasn't installed correctly. JMHO
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:59 PM   #3

Send it back or at least demand a new tent end. It should not look like that.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:18 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. After the PDI with the service tech, I told my salesman I wanted to hold off on signing any paperwork until we find a resolution. That's when we did that water test & confirmed water can infiltrate at those points. My concern is, am I wasting my time waiting on another one or should I move on to something else? It sounds like this is not a usual and customary condition on the hybrid's & waiting for another unit could have a better outcome. Your reply's have been helpful.
2008 Fleetwood Niagara Pop-Up (2010-2015)
CampTx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, leak, pdi