Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2017, 10:10 AM   #1

2017 23IKSS - water from wall between bath & hallway

So, I wish I had taken a picture of this, but...am curious if any of you who are familiar w/the inner workings of the 23IKSS will have any ideas.

After setting up our trailer this weekend, we noticed water around the bottom of the wall near the bathroom door. This is the corner of the door/wall that faces the hall leading to the back bunk (as opposed to the wall that faces the slide/dinette side). And - it doesn't appear to be running from anywhere - not from the toilet or sink at all. Literally seems to be coming from the corner of that wall where it bends for the door opening. It COULD be running along the inside of that wall from behind the bathroom, I guess - but when we open the rear panels (both from the inside & out), there does not appear to be any leakage or water near the water filter, water heater, or under the bathroom sink. Once we clean it up (and it's maybe a cupful, total), it doesn't seem to continue to leak, either.

This had happened a month or two back on one of our trips- and hadn't happened since - we kinda thought it was a fluke, or a little leftover water from a mishap we had w/the outside shower (newbie mistake - plugged the water hose into the wrong input & busted the outside shower fittings - easy & inexpensive fix, thankfully).

Am sure we'll give the dealer a call & get it in to be seen, unless anyone has any ideas that we could resolve ourselves. I have no idea what's inside that wall (or what connects to it) that could be causing the leak...so...

Any ideas?
2019 Days Camped: 5, but many more planned!
Maman325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:13 PM   #2

This in in the "hallway" across from the wardrobe? If there is no water in the bathroom, it may be coming from the water filter (or associated piping) in the storage space behind the vent. Most of the water pipes, the pump, and the filter are all in that space, so I would not be suprised if that was where it was coming from. I do not think there are any pipes in the wall, as most (if not all) are routed up from the floor. My other thought would be some leak under the bathroom sink, or maybe even some water splashing onto the vanity and going down to the floor and out the bathroom door.
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:15 PM   #3

If It happened only once, it's probably some remaining water from the mishap you had with the outside shower.
That being said. both walls, right and left from the bathroom door have ventilation pipes inside, going up from the tanks all the way through the roof.
That specific wall you mention have the ventilation pipe for the black tank so go up on the roof and check if the sealing around that pipe (black) is ok.
If the sealing was damaged or not properly done, rain water can get into the wall and end up exactly where you found it.

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:51 PM   #4

Thank you both - will check the roof today. All the other systems inside the trailer are bone dry - and we were scratching our heads trying to figure out what kind of water might originate in/near that wall while all else is dry. We did think it was a one-time thing until it happened again this weekend. And we can think of a lot of places in these rigs that we could have a leak - and none of them seemed to result in water landing there, lol.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:47 PM   #5

We have a 23ws which I think is the same type of bathroom. Last summer, we had a leak in the bathroom.
I thought at first, it came from the shower, but the problem was actually coming from the sink. The washer in one of the faucet connection was badly installed. I shut the water, replaced the washer and the problem was solved.

Did you check under the sink if water was there !
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:24 PM   #6

We had water there in our 23IKSS once and I found it was coming from the pex tubing fitting on the water filter. It must have not been tight enough. I took the clamp off that they had put on there and used two hose clamps there instead. Have not had it leak since. When it was leaking the water ran on the floor in the water filter/pump compartment and out under the wall to the area you had water.
RCCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:15 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to BGinVA
I had similar problem and discovered it was the screw-on fittings that connect the PEX tubing to the shower faucet ... behind the wall! They had been cross threaded. So I had to take the shower faucet and housing off, get a wrench in there and replace both hot and cold connectors. The factory fittings were push-in barb type with metal bands that had to be crimped. I cut those out and went with Shark bite fittings. No problem since.

The factory "plumber" who outfitted my trailer back in 2015 must have had a bad day. had the same problem at kitchen sink faucet, but found that right away. Easiest access for kitchen plumbing is to remove the fascia panel that faces the dinette in the bump-out area.
BGinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:02 PM   #8

Thanks for the suggestions of places to look, everyone! It's been a nutty week, but we're hoping to dig into it a little more this weekend. All of the other systems (under sinks, water heater, water filter, etc.) show NO sign of leakage still, so it's time to play private eye! Will share what we find when we figure it out. :-)
Old 05-20-2017, 01:30 PM   #9
Summer2Go

When I first had the camper, I checked one morning and the floor of the camper was wet. Turns out the shower head was on the floor of the shower, and on at a trickle. That small amount of water had filled the grey tank, and the water was coming up through the shower. The water was dripping downhill to the other end of the camper. It can happen pretty fast.
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:10 PM   #10

Ran water through everything today, and we're no closer to figuring out the source of the water. Everything is dry under/behind/next to...so far, we've only had this happen once we load up the trailer, take it somewhere, and have it set up for awhile - so I guess this next weekend when we take her out again, we'll watch for a repeat & dig around if/when we see it...I guess we should be happy for the moment that all seems to be working ok...
Old 05-21-2017, 05:33 PM   #11
Summer2Go

Sounds like something leaks when it is "used".
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCS View Post
We had water there in our 23IKSS once and I found it was coming from the pex tubing fitting on the water filter. It must have not been tight enough. I took the clamp off that they had put on there and used two hose clamps there instead. Have not had it leak since. When it was leaking the water ran on the floor in the water filter/pump compartment and out under the wall to the area you had water.
Took her out over the holiday weekend, and while we didn't have any leaking in that exact spot, we did find a leak where the water filter was - so while it had appeared dry back there in the past when we went to investigate, maybe the water had rolled under that wall & just wasn't coming out until we moved it & parked level at our campsites. Hmmm...

Once fixed, no more leaking from the corner of the bathroom wall this weekend!!!

However, we did have a leak under/outside the unit this weekend - from over the top of the black tank. We're pretty sure this was self-inflicted, though - we may have overfilled the fresh water tank when we were refilling it at the campground. So a little more investigation to do on that, just to make sure that really was what was causing it.

Tags
water