Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2018, 09:20 PM   #1

2017 Rockwood Roo 21ss Front bunk Hinge issue

Hi
I'm New to the forum and am looking for some help from any experienced rvers out there. We have a 2017 Rockwood Roo 21ss that we purchased about 2 yrs ago. We had it in at the dealership before yr 1 was up to fix a few small items I noticed the lower metal strip on the front bunk looked like it was very slightly bowed between the rivets. The dealership thought it wasn't a big deal stated its normal. Another year of use goes by and I noticed the bowing seems to be more and the Hinge is now separating. Of Course it is now out of warranty and The extended warranty doesn't cover it either. I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this problem and how did you fix it. My initial plan was to remove and replace the rivets and add new ones as well.

Thanks
JD

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3703.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	170368

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3708.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	324.0 KB
ID:	170369
Jdet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:54 AM   #2

Hmm - seems like some poor workmanship right there.. If however you reported this issue during the warranty period, I would think you have a case for Forest River to take care of it.

All that aside, it would seem that you don't want to use all the same holes the original rivets were in since those holes not being lined up correctly is likely to have caused the issue in the first place, either that or the rivet heads didn't seat correctly on the back side, or they didn't use enough.

I've not had your experience but a few things I would want to do for the repair.

- You probably want to use the same rivets the factory did because you want the rivet material to be the same. The reason I suggest this is when 2 dissimilar metals make contact with one and other it can cause galvantic corrosion and if the new rivet material is different it could cause issues down the road. I would think Forest River could supply you with some or at least let you know where to get some.

- You obviously want to fill in the holes you are no longer using with some sort of sealant as well to avoid any moisture getting in them. In the marine environment there are all sorts of products that are used below the water line on boats... 5200 will work but it it remains somewhat pliable even after it sets up. Marine Tex would work as well and it hardens to the point where it can be drilled and sanded and will likely be stronger then the material that you're filling in.

Good luck with your repair and hopefully you get some first hand advice from someone who's already tackled this job.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:23 AM   #3

BTW - Just checked and 9 rivets on mine.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:26 AM   #4

If you have a record of taking it to the dealer w/in the 1 yr warranty period and gettng blown off, you may have a case. You might have to talk to FR, though.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:58 AM   #5

Thanks for all the fast replies. I emailed forest river again and will keep after them. Talking to a few different dealers yesterday they thought it may have to have the entire door replaced which sounds a bit overboard but then again I’m not the dealer. If they don’t cover it I think the river replacement will be the solution hopefully
Thanks
Jdet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:27 PM   #6

Although history, I had a 2006 21SS and used it 100+ nights a year in all kinds of weather for a 5 year run. Never had such an issue. Workmanship issues follow all models of RVs these days. Hopefully a good dealer relationship will work for you. I had bad luck regarding that. My 21SS dealer went out of business within 6 months and then my Sunseeker dealer did so weeks after I bought it. Makes one go 'hmmmmmm?'.

Scott
2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."
rvrobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
If you have a record of taking it to the dealer w/in the 1 yr warranty period and gettng blown off, you may have a case. You might have to talk to FR, though.
Right. My dealer not only puts such things on record, but also takes photos in case a potential problem later becomes a real problem. I really like that approach.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:57 AM   #8

I have the same issue, and it simply boils down to not using enough rivets and using thin metal. Since when do you put rivets 18" apart on something load bearing? Dealer fixed my twice, and i will report back on my original thread if I have more issues

Tags
bunk, rockwood, rockwood roo, roo